This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

plug and play problem

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a usb expander that has been working fine for months, Now when I plug it in nothing happens, as far as the PC is concerned it is not there, it does not exist. I have tried it on another PC and no problem. I can plug other devices into the usb ports on my PC successfully. I am using Windows 7. Since writing the above I left the hub plugged in and shut down. The PC seemed to be shutting down UK but taking a most unusually long time. Eventually I forced a closedown by holding down the power button. I restarted the PC and again unusually the PC started up without telling me there had been a forced shutdown, and the hub connected and is now back in use.
Hi David, Thanks for the update, glad you got it fixed. USB devices are so much in evidence these days that sometimes the computers get "confused" as to exactly what driver should be used to access a particular device…… when you think that some folks have memory sticks, external hard drives, printers, cameras, mobiles, tablets and a whole host of stuff being plugged in and then out again on a fairly regular basis, its not surprised that the poor old computer sometimes loses track of what driver is needed and when! It was good to hear that your computer and the USB hub are now performing correctly Regards paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI