This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Cannot load Windows 7 on new hard drive

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello, I am trying to do a clean install on a brand new hard drive of Windows 7 but I cannot get the CD to boot when I start my laptop. I went into the BIOS and have the drive order with the CD/DVD booting first. When i start the computer, it shows the HP introduction screen but instead of starting the Windows 7 installation like it should, it just shows a blinking white cursor on a black screen. The laptop I have is a HP DV9700 AMD Turion64 with an NVIDIA graphics card 2 GHZ processor with 3 GB of RAM and originally came with Vista but there was a hard drive failure so i had to order a Seagate 320GB hard drive and formatted it. I know that this particular laptop has problems with a lot of people with the motherboard but I don't think that this is a motherboard issue. Just cannot seem to get the laptop to boot from the CD. I know that this CD can boot from startup since I have tried it on another computer. Can anybody give me any ideas on what might be preventing the CD from booting on this laptop? Thank you
I can't say anything about your situation, but I have a suggestion that will hopefully allow you to move forward, instead of relying on the system booting to the DVD, try using the boot options, not to be confused with any bios setting(s), most if not all new(er) systems usually have a key you can press at boot to launch a list of boot up locations, F12 is used a fair bit, but look at your display during boot and it should tell you what key to use, once it comes up it will list the optical drive, hard drive, USB etc, select the optical drive and with luck it will work. Another point to note, sometimes you have to press "any button" to activate booting from the disk, or it will look to boot normally, it should say on the screen if this is the case, but I am wondering if for some reason it isn't showing properly, so if you see the cursor blinking again try pressing the space bar, see if that works, and always use the space bar as the "any button" as it is a non command one, it's a debatable point but it's what I was taught, but if the screen states use a specific key then thats what you use, anyway hopefully this will help, good luck.
Thanks for your response but I did use the boot options and that didn't work and then I tried pressing the spacebar along with other keys but all that happens is that it makes that system beep noise. Any other ideas?? Thanks in advance
Do you see any attempt to read the CD/DVD drive as evidenced by drive noises or the flashing light? Make sure you have all external USB devices unplugged, the system may be trying to "boot" from a flash drive or something.
Just a thought, have you tried a different optical drive in the problem system ? Just wondering if your drive doesn't like the media, long shot I know, but if nothing else is working it can't hurt to try.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI