hi,
for some time my usb 3.0 ports on my desktop are not working. they were working at first but later they stopped working. i installed the last drivers for usb 3, but nothing changed. also newly installed usb 3.0 host controller utility doesn't work. when i try to start it, it gives usb 3.0 controller not found error. the port only gives power (for example charging my phone) but nothing works (keyboard, mouse, flash memory stick, external hdd, whatever…).
i'm using windows 7 64 bit and motherboard is gigabyte h55m-usb3. usb 3 is enabled on bios.
thanks for any help.
as i understand, if i have usb 3.0 port, i should see "eXtensible host controller" in device manager but i only got two "enhanced host controllers" and six "universal host controllers". also i see eight "usb root hubs" and one "usb composite device".
i attached the screen capture.
i have six normal usb ports and two usb 3.0 ports.
You probably need to install the USB3 driver, they have it as a download on the Gigabyte site, BUT, take special care to make sure you select the correct board to download from, it looks like they have made more than 1 "breed" of that board (Links Under Here of what I have seen), once you have that identified, select your OS then download the USB3 driver from the available drivers, that should sort your problem, I have USB3 and I do have an entry(s) showing in the device manager (attached for reference), I can't say if that's the norm, but it's what I get on my Asus board, hope it helps. GA-H55M-USB3 (rev. 1.0) GA-H55M-USB3 (rev. 2.0)
i already installed the latest driver but no change. thinking of uninstalling all usb controllers on device manager but i fear of losing the working ones.
also if i uninstall all usb controllers, how do i use my mouse to restart computer?
You would need to be careful doing that, I was going to say use the keyboard, which isn't the easiest at times, but I then thought if your using a USB keyboard, you may end up not being able to do anything, and worst case you would have to force a reboot, I can only suggest trying to uninstall the USB3 driver, then trying again, BUT, with a specific process.
To start with try Revo to uninstall the driver, on the 1st screen check the Advanced box (it's on medium as default), then follow the prompts, should there be extra files it will show you them, click on Select All, then delete them, repeat if a 2nd screen comes up (sometimes there is nothing left over), close Revo when done, should Revo not see that driver then have a look under the OS's usual method, e.g. Control Panel - Programs.
Now make sure the fresh driver is on your desktop, then close any web pages, and now Pause\Disable or shutdown your anti virus, This can usually be done by right clicking on the icon down near the clock, you will probably need to expand them to see it, and while in this state do not go to any web pages.
Next right click on the driver, and select install as Admin, then complete as you would normally, the anti virus will be restored after a reboot, and the driver will probably want to do this, if not reinstate the anti virus so your protected again, or just reboot yourself, see if this makes a difference, if it doesn't we may need to repeat but going even deeper to the system removing other possible files left behind, hope this helps thought.
Right, just had to go into my own bios to try something else out for my own system, but while I was in there I was reminded there is a bios setting (in mine anyway) that enables\disables the USB3 controller, so I suggest going into your bios and looking for such a setting, if found set to enabled, save and exit, if we are lucky the cure could be as simple as that.
Please only go into your bios and make changes if you know what you are doing, if you have any doubts or concerns over this let us know and I will get the manual and try and give specific guidance to where this is, assuming it's there at all, but I'm hoping it is, see if this helps, and feel free to holla if concerned about doing this for further help.
Sorry I missed that, not sure what else to suggest, this is the point where I would need to get my hands on it, and just stumble around, and if that got me nowhere I would reinstall to out of the box state, it's not something I'd do lightly unless all else fails, whatever is going on is beyond what I can guide on, this is the stage I ne3ed to just get my hands on it and stumble around seeing what I can find, maybe someone else can help more, but I'm afraid to say I'm stumped.
I have just seen one thing that "may" be behind this, your board has "On/Off Charge Technology" which means you can still charge your phone or the like even when the system is closed down, or in sleep mode, I have no experience about this feature, but I mention it for you to look closer at as a final thought, just incase this has a setting to enable\disable anything to do with the ports, so look to see if you have a program entry to do with this, if you do launch it and see if it yields any clues, if you can't see such a program, try downloading and installing it from the above links, sorry I an unable to suggest anything more, I hope you manage to get a result, good luck.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI