This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows 8

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have just gotten windows 8……interesting. I bought a new laptop and it came on there. Best Buy transferred all the info over. But I don't want to use FF anymore. I switched to IE as a browser. But I can't find my bookmarks on it. . Where are they hiding things on Windows 8? I was going to switch to Chrome, but then I would have to use my google email address, right?

Where are they hiding things on Windows 8?

They are called Favorites in IE and they are typically located in a folder called Favorites under your username under C:\Users.

You can certainly use Chrome but frankly, I like IE much better, and it continues to prove itself the most secure when it comes to preventing socially engineered threat - the most common. But regardless, you don't have to use Gmail if you use Chrome.
I am not sure I have IE, it doesn't say it on the screen. How can I tell? The tech who set this up charges $50 an hour to answer questions. Since windows 8 is so different and I can't find anything, should I stick with Firefox in case IE is in different format? I just know I can't figure anything out.
you say to research with Bing or Google. I am using Internet Explorer as a browser, I cannot even figure out how to find the Google web search because I know there is and 8 part tutorial on Windows 8. I knew windows 8 was a challenge but having it set up the way they do is ridiculous. Is like they tried to make it as difficult as they could. On the page where your inbox and composing all that where do I go to search. They don't have a search like Firefox did. In your opinion with Windows 8 which browser would you use? If I go to Google Chrome then I would have to use my gmail account right?
Sorry, I was sure I replied a couple days ago. ???

I cannot even figure out how to find the Google web search

Google is a website - just like this site is. You find and go to Google and Bing with your browser - whatever browser that may be - by entering their site's address in your browser's Address bar.

www.google.com
www.bing.com
There are several "start up" programs to bring back the start up button for windows 8. I have been checking on reviews and there are good and bad on all of them. I now have classic shell installed. Is that a good one or is there a better or safer one? I don't want anything to louse up my computer. You can quickly click the windows button and X to get a quick look, but it is not a permanent thing.Thanks.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI