This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Netbook: Power Jack

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a little Asus netbook like THIS

I can't get your the uber specifics because my netbook won't turn on. The netbook's power jack won't hold the power cord male end steady. I have to fidget with it to make it stay, and its a crazy game of "find the right spot and HOLD IT FOREVER". Its about 3 years old, so we've had a good run, but I mainly use it for shows for my kids to watch.

I really just want to know if its worth it to fix it or not?
I couldn't say if it's worth it, ultimately that's what you need to decide, but that said, it doesn't hurt to get some thoughts on this, so my suggestion is go to, or ring a repairer, and ask for a quote to REPLACE the jack, don't let them just re-solder what is already there, one of the well respected helper's who is very in tune with this said it's not worth the messing around cutting corners, the small difference in cost a new jack would be is not that much, but he suggests doing it this way because he's seen many "repaired" jacks come into him to sort, which is why he says to do this right the 1st time to save money long term. Now to be fair to the repair place, they won't be able to guarantee a price until they get into it, but they should certainly be able to give you a ball park figure as a guide, then if you accept that, they then strip it down to do the job, if they find it's more than just the jack at fault they should contact you with this info, and an updated quote if you were to proceed, if at the end of doing this, you reach a point that after they have stripped it down you do not want to continue, you would have to pay a specific amount of money for what they have done, this should be agreed and set before them staring any work, it gives you a max limit to pay if the worst comes from it, what I suggest to help figure how much, is to look around and see how much a replacement would cost, if the quote is close to the repair price you may as well replace rather than repair. The most important thing to do with repair places is research, a fancy shop doesn't mean it's a good shop, so look around, get a few ball park quotes from different places if possible, then research each place, and if possible ask around and see if anyone has had any experience with a specific repairer, when it comes to this kind of area, word of mouth is worth it's weight in gold, so if anyone has good or bad experience in specific repairers, you will know if they are likely to do a good job, or if to keep clear of them, others may be able to be a bit more specific than I have been, but this should get you started in your quest, hope it helps,.
Thanks, I will give that a try. Sometimes I think I can't do that because if they tell me I need "more then XYZ" I have to buy into it versus saying I need sometime to think. I will call a few places. Thank yu!

Sometimes I think I can't do that because if they tell me I need "more then XYZ" I have to buy into it versus saying I need sometime to think

IMHO any decent place wouldn't jerk you around, they should just be honest, and if they talk about possible XYZ they will (or should) be preparing you for worst case, because they don't want to do half a job, just like you don't want any nasty surprises at the end, but do remember what I said previously, it's not fair for them to give a proper price without having it stripped down and looking over it, but this is why I would suggest to ask for a worst case price, as well as best price assuming it's a simple replacement job, that way you can be prepared for the worst, and make a choice for the best result to suit your needs, hope you get the best result with this

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI