This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Dell laptop --- small size power jack not holding onto the plug

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello

The newest Dell we have has the small diameter power jack.  The plug will not stay in it.
Of course, I don't know if something's wrong with the plug or the jack, or both.

I am suspicious of these small jacks.  Same with mini-USBs on Kindles.  Seems they are prone to damage.

Bye-the-bye, I have an iffy regular-size USB jack on my Dell laptop.

Earlier days, I don't remember such problems. 

 

Does anyone know if manufacture or assembly standards have gone down, for a fact?  Are these jack problems common?

 

As far as repair, I have a couple of questions.  A YouTube vid assures me I can swap out the power jack myself.

 

#1  Is there some way I can discern if the jack or the plug is at fault?  I can see the plug is beat-up.  (This would require a whole nother power supply, thanks very much!)

 

#2  can I swap in the large-size jack and get a power supply to match; and per above, would this end the problem?

 

 

TIA

I, also, agree that the newer plugs seem to be more prone to damage than the old ones did.  I do think that USB-C seems to stand up better than USB mini.  I know none of this "for a fact" , but anecdotally I believe it to be so.

 

I've never done it, but I believe that if you've researched the process for changing the jack and are not "scared off" by the prodedure, then you can probably do it yourself.

 

The jack problems occur nearly always with the jack failing, rather than the plug.

 

While you could change both the jack and the plug, you want to be very careful changing power supplies.

Thank you.  As for changing to the larger jack size, I suppose it depends on the internal connection's being the same; also any subatomic differences in the passage of electricity….

Do you know of an online place I can look at pix and specs of such parts?
 

Otherwise I guess I can see if there is a parts diagram of each motherboard; or a parts list from which I can go forth to look up the two jacks….
I feel less confidant of finding and navigating such than I do when it's my riding mower…

OTHERotherwise I could go to a shop and ask, but then I'd feel I should probably let that person have the job.

I'm not an expert on this, but I'd start by searching online using the model number of the dell computer.  You might even find a video guide.

Just to put a tag end on this…

 

Eventually I found the replacement part, which had to be the small jack, and replaced it.  Plug stays in, but no improvement in the last stage of problems.

 

The power light on the front of the laptop case comes on, but nothing happens at all after that.  (The light goes on and off)

I don't hear anything, like a beep or any noise or a fan.

My own, somewhat older Dell makes a tiny *poing* when I turn it on.  Nothing on this one.

Think I'm going to have to take it to a shop.

 

Thanks for your input.

 

denno

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI