Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Netbook connection

limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 02:43 AM

My PC is working ok but aesus netbook will not connect.

Signal strength is excellent.

I have tried `repair` but no joy.

It was connecting last Time I used it (I only use for hols) a couple of months back.

No changes have been made by me since last used.

Any ideas.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 02:49 AM

Having tried everything I can think of I keep getting strong signal and connection but message states computer is trying to validate, it now just sits there at the validation stage.

I have googled this and as best I can followed the instruction to no avail.

#3 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:40 AM

I keep getting strong signal and connection 

The above suggests that the problem is security related as in the router is blocking your gateway to the internet.

I am from the UK and may not be familiar with your ISP or what information is initially required to be input.

Can you post the following for us;

The version of Windows you are running, 7, 8.1 or 10.

The brand and model name or number of the router.

The name of your internet provider.

#4 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 09:02 AM

Thanks for your reply Phill,

I am currently on hols until the 22nd June and have borrowed a laptop for hols so unable to access the requested info for now.

I will on return to the uk post the info.

thanks

#5 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 13 June 2019 - 10:22 AM

No worries, have yourself a good holiday  :thumbup:

#6 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 02:05 PM

Router , image attached.

Virgin broadband.

Windows xp,  I know security risk but only use on hols mainly for spreadsheets and occasional check email.

https://imgur.com/w9iAaQt

#7 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 02:55 AM

I have googled this and as best I can followed the instruction to no avail.

To avoid any repetition, can you tell us what exactly has been tried and what browser you are trying to connect to.

#8 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:17 PM

I am having difficulty recalling exactly what I tried 3 weeks back as I was going around in circles. Whatever the state when I first found the issue I have probably made it worse.

I cant find the exact info I was in but similar to this:

http://www.edimax.us...ificationXP.htm

Using firefox browser

I also tried changing the IP address which someone suggested, To be honest I probably messed that up as they kept giving me abbreviations which I had to google as I am not familiar with that side of computing.

#9 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 09:43 AM

Firefox no longer supports XP so uninstall it and try Internet Explorer.

Can I just check that you have been asked for and entered an SSID and password for Virgin.

#10 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:21 PM

OK now removed firefox, and using Internet explorer (but not connecting)

When I check wireless network connection the window states:

Status  validating identity

Network  Virgin media

Speed  54.0 Mbps

Signal strength  five bars (full strength)

SSID/password,  Yes although I cant remember exactly at what point I did so, either when trying to connect initially  or when I was messing with it. I took the info from the label on the router. I have checked in virgin media properties and the SSID states Virgin Media.

I have just tried `repair` and it states unable to find certificate to log on to Virgin media.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#11 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

Something along the lines of what you mention above but with some additional steps, see if the reply #3 of Gabrial here helps any

#12 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:28 PM

Click on the "Wireless Netoworks" tab..Done

Find your network SSID and "Remove" it from the list.......I removed Virgin media

Click "Add..." to create a new network.........Done

Before entering anyting on the "Association" tab, click the "Authentication" tab and uncheck the "Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network" checkbox.............Done

Then go back to the "Association" tab and enter your SSID, authentication type, encryption method, and enter your shared key.

SSID  ......I entered Virgin Media

Authentication type........What is entered there?

Encryption method.....What is entered there?

Shared key....Is that from the router label?

#13 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:05 AM

I am with Sky but the SSID is similar to that of Virgin in that there are a mixture of letters and numbers after the name of the network, examples, SKY7J4F6 - VM5K1M9R8, simply entering SKY would not give me a connection.

Please check the Virgin media guide here which shows you were to find the correct SSID and WiFi password.

My authentication setting is WPA2. Wi-Fi Protected Access, for authentication and encryption info see What are Virgin Media's WiFi encryption options?

Shared key = the password on the base of the router, this only any good if the password has not been changed by the user.

Edit to correct typo.

Edited by PhillPower2, 06 July 2019 - 04:06 AM.

#14 scudo

scudo

Silver Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:48 AM

the password on the base of the router, this only any good if the password has not been changed by the user.

I know the password to be correct as wife and sons have used it for connecting to the internet and it has never been changed.

It is asking for a network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as a 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.

The above does not relate to anything on the router label, I have tried all the numbers/passwords.

#15 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

Phill

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:06 AM

It is asking for a network password needs to be 40bits or 104bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as a 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters.

I have absolutely no idea as to what it is talking about I`m afraid  :(

Can you check your system restore points to see how far back they go, try the oldest but only as long as it is before all the changes that you made when following suggestions made elsewhere.

Starting with a clean slate may be your best option but being that XP is no longer supported there is no guarantee that even that will get you connected.

Have you tried connecting using the Ethernet port.