This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Window 7 Professional Upgrade from Vista

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi people, Have you had experience using the "upgrade" from Vista to Windows 7 Professional. It is available for students (one of my kids in college) for $64.95. Just wondering if you've had experience using the "upgrade" and how it went for you. Thanks in advance.
My son got the $39.00 student upgrade to Windows 7 ultimate (x64) last year. He had absolutely no problems with it… but… his should have been easy as he installed it on a new computer he had just built. He had probably only used it for a couple months before upgrading so he probably didn't have many 3rd part programs installed to deal with.
Same place. Doing a little research… it appears that the $39.00 promo ended the middle of January. Looks like you are at the current one.
That's still a heck of a deal though. Pro is the way to go. Home Premium is missing some key stuff, like Gpedit and XP Mode and some other stuff I can't remember off hand. I did not see any benefit to Ultimate as it's seems to be aimed primarily at the business world using Domains.
I did an "upgrade" install using RC1 and it worked okay to begin with. It put all the Vista stuff in Windows.old . After a few weeks, though, it started acting up and I reverted back to Vista. When Windows 7 came out, I immediately bought the student package for about £30. I did a clean install of the 32-bit Pro version and it works fine. I was also able to pick up another copy on my girlfriend's account, and did a clean install of that too. One thing I would say is that Microsoft only offers the "upgrade" version. Whereas a few student software retailers will offer a full copy for about the same price. It might be an idea to get the latter one so that you an keep hold of Vista, just in case.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI