Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93083 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Can't find 'My Pictures' folder from browse button under e

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ClissaT

ClissaT

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:13 AM

I often send photos via email without any problems, but today I can't find the "My Pictures" folder when navigating via the 'browse' button when I have the email window open. I am guessing it has something to do with Windows Explorer (not internet explorer) not working. But I can navigate around within my pc, just not from via the internet. Here I must add that I don't have any email software on my pc anymore. On this new pc I log-in to my ISP who provides an email account. I also have used gmail for several years without issue. Today I tried to navigate to my pc folders via the browse button from both of my email providers without success. Two very recent things happened that may have changed settings on my pc:- 1. last weekend there was a massive update which may have included a major update to Internet Explorer because some things look different now; 2. today I had a long chat session to the tech support of my voip provider where they had to have access to my pc & use the ethernet cable to change settings in my routers. That person used the command prompts window often. I have had this issue a few years after a chat session to some tech support supplier. But that was my old XP pc. Now I have this new Win7 pc & I find it a lot harder to resolve issues myself. I can find the "My Pictures" folder when just clicking on it or it's library by going to the Asus tree or the library tree or the documents tree so I know the folder is still there. But when I am online & having to navigate to that folder via the 'browse' button, none the 'active' folders appear. I can however find individual files from within the My Pictures folder by navigating via "Recent Places". But only individual files come up, not the whole photos albums. I just also tried to navigate to the folder from the 'browse' button below this topic window that I am typing in now, but no joy there either. Somehow, any folder that can be modified has been protected from internet access. That's why I am suspecting either today's chat session or an IE update. I have looked in the 'Internet Options>Advanced' tab but so many things there seem to have changed I don't know what should & shouldn't be ticked anymore. I have done 2 reboots, 1 including the router itself incase there is some lingering issue from the chat session, but still no joy.

Edited by ClissaT, 08 May 2013 - 12:17 AM.

ASUS G74SX laptop; quadcore; Win7 Home Edition; AVG full suite security;

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 ClissaT

ClissaT

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:08 AM

Since making this topic I have been fiddling around testing things trying to narrow down the problem. I have also added 2 screen prints. It was a work around to be able to navigate to them to upload! An interesting thing happened that may throw light on the subject. I was making some screen prints that showed the library folder open when I am navigating around my pc & also the same folder when navigating to it via the web from my email account. I made the screen print of the folder while it was open via the internet, wrote on the picture & did a 'save as' into 'my computer' folder in my photo album. After I closed the various open windows the last 2 open were the navigation window (from the browse button of the email) & the email window. The missing folder had miraculously appeared in the navigation window! I tested that a second time & no it wasn't there UNITL I did similar things like making the screen prints ie working with the folder, then yes it turned up. I had also done screen prints just by going to the library tree & clicking on the 'My Pictures' folder & making the screen prints. I edited those photos the same as for the ones done via the internet & then realized I didn't put them in the right 'my computer' folder in my photo album. So while the 'my pictures' folder was open I tried to move them by dragging which should have worked but got a dialogue window seeking 'permission to make changes'. Now that shouldn't happen. I am logged into this pc so I have administrative rights. But it refused me permission to make changes until I clicked yes etc. So I wonder if it is a left over from today's chat session where I had to hand over permissions to the technical person so they could use my pc via the internet. However I have no idea on this Win7 pc where to undo those sorts of changes to the administrative permissions.

Attached Thumbnails

• missing_pictures_folder_1.jpg
  • missing_pictures_folder_2.jpg

Edited by ClissaT, 08 May 2013 - 01:13 AM.

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Looks like My Pictures got dropped from Libraries. Click on C: in the left pane, then Users, then your userid. See if Pictures shows up there. If yes, right click on it and select Include in Library then pick Documents. See if that helps.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 ClissaT

ClissaT

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:27 PM

Thanks for your reply Ztruker. I would love to follow your instructions but you got me at the 'left pane'....actually at C drive. I am stumped with the Win7. In XP I right clicked on the start button & up came the full family tree, but theres no start button in my win7. Yes theres the logo button which I can right click but it just brings up the libraries. I haven't worked out how to get the full tree to open yet.....been working on it for 2yrs so far!! I left clicked the Windows icon button which gave me the drop down menu, then 'computer' which gave me the libraries window (or is that called a pane?) then 'Pictures' & yes "My Pictures" is there but it was there all along. It's only when I access it from the net that's its gone. a bit later..... So just fiddling around trying various ways to follow your advice while I have this message open, I opened 'computer' from the windows icon, clicked on 'OS (C:)' in the left column (is that the 'left pane'?) & got a list of folders which included 'Users' but no UserID. (I have seen userid somewhere but can't remember where). I clicked on 'Users' & got 2 folders in the right side 1. 'Asus' which has all the usable folders in it & 2. 'Public' which I don't know why it exists (but every so often something gets stored in there & I don't understand how or why but that's another story). I double clicked on 'Asus' & just got the usual list of folders which contains 'My Pictures'. Again I always do get it when just navigating around my pc. It's not until I try to access it from the web that its not there. To my thinking its more of a security thing because all the folders are where they should be. Just that one is not available when trying to access it via the web.

#5 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• Retired Classroom Teacher
  • 14,770 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:32 PM

Hi,

clicked on 'OS (C:)' in the left column (is that the 'left pane'?) & got a list of folders which included 'Users' but no UserID.

You are almost there. To clarify Ztruker's instructions by userid he meant your name or whatever your account is called. It will be in the list of folders under Users.

HTH

Proud Graduate of the WTT Classroon
If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg
Curiosity didn't kill the cat. Ignorance did, curiosity was framed.
Learn how to protect Yourself

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days.

#6 ClissaT

ClissaT

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:55 PM

Thanks oldman960 I have made screen prints(see below) of the tree. There is no folder in my name or any name other than Asus under userid. I know what it should be It was in the tree of my XP. But this pc is set up differently & took me ages to get used to it. I just put it down to the difference between XP & Win7. However I still don't think any folders are missing. The ability to use some of them via a web link IS missing.

Attached Thumbnails

• missing_pictures_folder_C_drive_tree_1.jpg
  • missing_pictures_folder_C_drive_tree_2.jpg
  • missing_pictures_folder_C_drive_tree_3.jpg

#7 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 09 May 2013 - 05:22 PM

Did you try right click on C:\Users\ASUS\My Pictures and select Include in Library then pick Documents?

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#8 ClissaT

ClissaT

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Hi Ztruker, yes I did try that yesterday afternoon once I understood more about how the tree opens. It made no difference. I added My Pictures to My Documents & 2 other places on various trees that show up when I access from a web link such as the Attachments Browse button at the bottom of this reply window. But My Pictures only shows up when accessing from within my pc not via the web. I think we need to review exactly what happens when a technician is given access rights to a pc via the web. That's when the link was broken because I had emailed photos that very morning from my ISP email account before doing the chat session with my voip tech help.

#9 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:11 PM

May I can shed some light on this. you are trying to compare XP and Win7 and assuming they are the same. This is where the problem lies. MS dropped the MY from folder names such as My Videos, MY Pictures and My Videos. A bit of a dilemma for users of older application that looked for the "traditional" folder with MY in the name. For backwards compatibly MS created Symbolic Links (sometimes also referred to as junctions) with the old folder name. The older application can still write to and read from the new folder because they are directed there through the symbolic Link. Newer applications written for Win 7 just follow the new path. In windows explorer the junction is visible and you can access your pictures by clicking on it. I suspect your mail program is fairly new and doesn't need the junctions so it won't give you the option of going through the junction (My Pictures in your case). Here's a dump of Win7 Symbolic Links/junctions. Username has been replaced with XX Volume in drive C is Acer Volume Serial Number is 7CEE-FF36 Directory of c:\ 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Documents and Settings [C:\Users] 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\ProgramData 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\ProgramData] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Desktop [C:\Users\Public\Desktop] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Documents [C:\Users\Public\Documents] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Favorites [C:\Users\Public\Favorites] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Start Menu [C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Templates [C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates] 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\Users 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <SYMLINKD> All Users [C:\ProgramData] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Default User [C:\Users\Default] 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\Users\All Users 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\ProgramData] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Desktop [C:\Users\Public\Desktop] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Documents [C:\Users\Public\Documents] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Favorites [C:\Users\Public\Favorites] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Start Menu [C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Templates [C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Templates] 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\Users\Default 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Cookies [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Local Settings [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> My Documents [C:\Users\Default\Documents] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> NetHood [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> PrintHood [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Recent [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> SendTo [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Start Menu [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Templates [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates] 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\Users\Default\AppData\Local 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> History [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> Temporary Internet Files [C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files] 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\Users\Default\Documents 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> My Music [C:\Users\Default\Music] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> My Pictures [C:\Users\Default\Pictures] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> My Videos [C:\Users\Default\Videos] 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\Users\XX 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\Users\XX\AppData\Roaming] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> Cookies [C:\Users\XX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> Local Settings [C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> My Documents [C:\Users\XX\Documents] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> NetHood [C:\Users\XX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> PrintHood [C:\Users\XX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> Recent [C:\Users\XX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> SendTo [C:\Users\XX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> Start Menu [C:\Users\XX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> Templates [C:\Users\XX\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates] 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\Users\XX\AppData\Local 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> History [C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\History] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> Temporary Internet Files [C:\Users\XX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files] 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\Users\XX\Documents 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> My Music [C:\Users\XX\Music] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> My Pictures [C:\Users\XX\Pictures] 28/12/2009 02:30 PM <JUNCTION> My Videos [C:\Users\XX\Videos] 0 File(s) 0 bytes Directory of c:\Users\Public\Documents 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> My Music [C:\Users\Public\Music] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> My Pictures [C:\Users\Public\Pictures] 13/07/2009 10:08 PM <JUNCTION> My Videos [C:\Users\Public\Videos] 0 File(s) 0 bytes Total Files Listed: 1 File(s) 0 bytes 50 Dir(s) 253,111,406,592 bytes free

If you are happy with the help you recieved, please consider making a Donation 5Iv60h9.jpg

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#10 ClissaT

ClissaT

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Thanks oldman960 for those expansive efforts. The 4 mail clients I use are all accessed via log-ins from the web. I don't have any mail clients installed on my pc anymore. It was decision I made when I got this Asus pc. So I have no idea if google(gmail), TPG(internet provider & email account), Telstra(mobile internet & email), & one other are new or old softwares. I suspect TPG is old whereas the others are possibly newer as they have all upgraded their email software over the last year. But there has been no difference to how I access my photo albums from those sites. The only difference occurred after the chat session with the voip provider. I understand the name changes. As I said it did take me quite a time to adjust to the differences but I did make the leap mostly because I was entertaining the upgrade to Win8 (now rejected). I have always been happy with the path to My Pictures from a browse button. I have no problems with that. All worked as it should until I had the chat session with the voip tech. I will describe the previous path & post chat path from a web link & when just using my pc normally. The path I use when just generally accessing the folders of my pc is as follows:- from desktop I can access my photo albums from 2 places, 1st is by opening Picasa which is the software I use to organise my photos. The second way to access all my photos is via the folders tree by doing the following:- left click on the Windows icon (that used to be the start button in xp & previous) which shows a drop down menu including a range of folders including ‘Asus’, ‘Documents’, ‘Pictures’, etc all of which have ‘My Pictures’ included in their various branches. When I left click on any of those folders I get another tree containing the ‘My Pictures’ folder which I double click on to open the folder by the same name which has the actual photo folders in it. Using that method does not open Picasa, it just opens all my photos folders as per the normal Windows style folder. If I then want to edit or send any photos I click on edit at the bottom of the silver screen effect & that opens Picasa & away I go. So the path goes:- Windows icon>Pictures>My Pictures>My Pictures (different folder, same name on a different branch of the tree!) to open the windows folder containing all my photos. If I have an email client open (I log-in to my ISP or email account or gmail or from one of my blogs) that means I am accessing the photos from a web link via the browse button or attachment button. Left clicking the Browse button opens a window showing all the folders on my desktop in 2 panes. I can either go via the ‘Libraries’ or ‘Asus’ folders in the righthand pane OR I can click under ‘Libraries’ in the left pane directly on ‘Pictures’ which opens another little tree including ‘My Pictures’. That opens a window containing a variety of folders all to do with my photo albums including My Pictures” folder that contains all my photos. So the web link path goes:- web button ‘Browse’>left pane '‘Libraries'’>Pictures>'My Pictures' right pane containing all my photos. This above path is the shortest way to my photos via a web link. But since the chat session the 'My Pictures'’ folder containing all my photos is missing as per the screen print I provided in my first post. I supplied screen prints of that open folder in my first post above. I wrote on the screen print showing where the folder was absent from the Pictures Library when being accessed via the web link but is there when just navigating around my pc normally(not via a web link). There are other much longer paths that I can use to get to my photo albums (which I’ve been using to provide the screen prints I’ve used in this topic.) I just hate all the darned clicking around to get somewhere. The more advanced the windows software gets the more clicks a person has to use to get somewhere. It drives me mad!! :angry: I like to take the most direct path to wherever I want to get to.

Edited by ClissaT, 09 May 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#11 oldman960

oldman960

Forum God

• 14,770 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:06 PM

Hi

I think we are saying the same thing but from a slightly different angle.

If I try to attach a file using Outlook.com (aka Windows Live Mail aka Hotmail) :

If I drill down C:\ > users > username I can get to the Pictures folder. My Pictures folder is not listed as a subfolder so I think this is what you are reporting.

If I go through Libraries > Pictures the My Pictures folder is a subfolder. If I right click on any picture in the My Pictures folder and click properties I can see that the containing folder is actually Pictures. This is also true when checking the properties in Windows Explorer.

So the path goes:- Windows icon>Pictures>My Pictures>My Pictures (different folder, same name on a different branch of the tree!)

This is a bit puzzling as the default is only one My Pictures subfolder. The only explanation is the second one was a creation of your own. That only adds to the mystery. One would think if you created a sub folder named My Pictures and placed it in the My Pictures folder it would be available in your mail client's drill down via Libraries.

Please humor me. Open Windows Explorer either by clicking on it's icon or right clicking the start button (yep it's still called that) and clicking "open windows explorer"
  • drill down to the My Pictures folder via libraries
  • right click on a photo in the folder
  • click properties
  • what is the location listed as?
  • do the same with the folder accessed via Asus

Microsoft MVP 2011-2015

#12 ClissaT

ClissaT

Authentic Member

• Authentic Member
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 11:59 PM

Address of the photo shown below from various locations:- (just a little off topic....I wonder if the address goes with the photo now as in if you clicked properties on the photo once uploaded to the web somehow, you could still find info about it. Those things did used stay with the photo in XP or perhaps it was 2000 but perhaps that has been stopped) 'drilling' down from 'Start' button:- C:\Users\ASUS\Pictures\My Pictures\2013 Sonny's Feet Casio from the Asus button under start button:- C:\Users\ASUS\Pictures\My Pictures\2013 Sonny's Feet Casio from the browse button below via 'My Recent Places' (the only way to access the photos now via the web):- C:\Users\ASUS\Pictures\My Pictures\2013 Sonny's Feet Casio for successive photos this browse button does remember the final folder & reopen the photos directly which is good. So there is no difference in the address of the photo....mmm interesting! Regarding the second 'My Pictures' folder. I didn't create it but perhaps Picasa did. I do know it turned up about the time I installed Picasa onto this pc. I was still very tentative about playing with this new laptop at that time. I sometimes think about doing away with the 'twin' folder but there does seem to be different things in the 2 folders. As I said in one of my previous posts, sometimes this pc puts things in strange places unless I am very clear as to the final destination of the data. I suppose that is normal though. So does anything from this info shed light?

Attached Thumbnails

• 13Apr2013_LF_trimmed2.jpg