This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

jre-7u21

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi manicd:

Yes, I`m getting the same error message, and other users in the Malwarebytes PC Help forum here have reported the same problem with both Firefox and IE browsers. There is a link in that post on how to test your Java installation (located here) to see if Java was installed correctly in your browser.

I filed a bug report on the Java site here today and will post back if I get a response.

Just curious, but I noticed that you're also using an older Win OS (Win XP SP3 and Vista SP2) on your machines. Do you also have antivirus software like McAfee or Norton running in real-time protection mode? I use Win Vista Professional 32-bit SP2 and Norton Internet Security 2013 v. 20.3.1.22, and I`m wondering if the Java 7 Update 21 installer is having problems accessing my Windows registry to determine my default browser, either because the installer is optimized for Win7/8 or because my NIS 2013 is blocking read access to certain entries in the registry.
————
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 20.0.1 * IE 9.0 * Java JRE 7U21 * NIS 2013 v. [removed] * MBAM PRO v. 1.75.0.1300
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS
Hi lmacri,

Cheers for the links. Yes I'm getting the standard: you have correct version of Java installed. I have XP on one machine & Vista on another, both of which are running NOD32.
Just updated to 21 and immediately it said it was successfully installed, I got the same, except mine was GetDefaultBrowserError: 3.

I use both IE & Firefox, (occasionally), but I was in IE when the message popped up.

OS is Windows 7 and I use MSE so it obviously isn't fussed which AV is on the machine.

I use both IE & Firefox, (occasionally), but I was in IE when the message popped up.


Hi Satchfan:

Do you use IE9, and is it set as your default browser (check at Start | Default Programs | Set Your Default Programs to see which browser has all its defaults) ? I've been monitoring the thread here in the Malwarebytes forum and everyone in that thread has Firefox installed on their PC and is using Firefox or IE8 as their default browser.

I'm even wondering if having Firefox installed is enough to trigger this error on some machines, regardless of whether Firefox set as the default browser or not.
————
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 * Firefox 20.0.1 * IE 9.0 * Java JRE 7U21 * NIS 2013 v. [removed] * MBAM PRO v. 1.75.0.1300
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo CPU T5550 @ 1.83 GHz, 3.0 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI