This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Computer resets when connected to internet.

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Within the last two weeks, my boyfriend has not been able to get on the internet with his Toshiba laptop. Whether it's using an ethernet cable or WIFI, the computer will automatically restart. I have tried everything I could think of to fix it. I've ran Malwarebytes. I've tried system restore. I've uninstalled/reinstalled devices. I've attempted to run Windows Update but failed due to the resetting. Better yet, anything dealing with connecting to the internet has completely failed. I wouldn't mind restoring to factory settings if I knew for sure that Windows 7 would also restore. I have no disc as this laptop was not accompanied by one. This computer doesn't have any programs of value as it's only used for iTunes and the internet. Someone please help me.
Hi mrmrscarr and welcome.

It is a little bothersome the notebook will not connect via either wireless or Ethernet as that means both adapters are affected. Does the computer connect to your network? That is, from the notebook, can you see your router or other networked computers, or does it fail as soon as you connect to any network? Or is it only a Internet access issue? I might suspect a firewall setting. Was MBAM able to update itself before scanning?

I have no disc as this laptop was not accompanied by one.

That's common, but also common is owners/users being prompted to make recovery disks when the notebook was new. However, sadly, it is very common users don't - especially bad when no authentic installation disks are included. :(

See if these steps help: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows…51-42dfbb9351c2

I wouldn't mind restoring to factory settings if I knew for sure that Windows 7 would also restore.

If W7 came from the factory installed, then W7 would be restored - if the factory restore option is available. But depending on the age of the notebook, it may restore back to pre-SP1 status so a lot of updating would be required. And if the notebook originally came with XP or Vista, it would revert way back to that OS. In any case, sadly, there's no way to know if that will fix the problem - especially if this is hardware related.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI