This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Win 8 firewall

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello When I go to my firewall through the control panel, "change settings" is always gray. I have to swoop from the upper right to click settings and when the firewall appears the "change settings" is fine. I am writing to see if I am unique here, or if you share the same issue. Thank you Peter
Mine is similar except my public is none. I was asking about allowing apps in or out. When I do it from the control panel "change settings" is ghost or gray. I swoop from the upper right and type windows firewall>settings and then "Change settings" is black and alive. From control panel, I cannot activate '"Change settings" after 'allow apps' Because I can get it done it is a good thing but why I cannot activate "Change settings" going by the control panel is a puzzle - it works when I type it in then follow prompts.. I set the laptop to default and I'll see if it persists there. Perhaps it is me but I have watched tutorials and as soon as someone clicks allow apps the "Change settings" is black and ready to select an entry to change. You do select "Change settings" before you make a change, correct?.
The reason I am writing is that one of my functions is not properly working or I am it working it properly. The reason I am changing one of the entries is beause I do not want it on a public network, which one should be able to do this. I finally accomplished the task. R - to answer your question about settings, go to control panel and click on "allow apps or features to pass through WF".. You will see a box where you can stop or allow apps. You are supposed to be able to click "Change settings" then make a changes. I have to swoop in from the right and type Windows firewall then proceed to "Change settings".. This way settings is black -when I go through the control panel it is gray and does not function. I have used defaults. Is this clearer? Can you now see change settings?
There is no "allow apps or features to pass through WF" in my Control Panel. You keep leaving out steps I think.

Control Panel / Windows Firewall / Allow an app or feature through the Windows Firewall.

Change settings is greyed out for me too. Perhaps it's disabled because I have UAC disabled, so not needed?

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI