This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Virus left altered settings?

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Ok, almost a week ago I realized I had a virus because I was constantly getting messages that I was infected and "buy our super awesome a/v to get rid of it!" type of jazz. Well I fixed that up in a jiffy, but then I started to realize several of my programs were being blocked from internet access, this led me to believe the issue was somehow firewall related. Upon checking my windows firewall (which I've been leaving off) I noticed the options to turn on/off the firewall were greyed out and at the top there was a message reading something along the lines of "Some options are not enabled for your protection blah blah blah group policy". Investigating group policy, I found out vista home premium has no group policy capabilities. I called Microsoft to try to get whatever this was fixed and they simply had me delete my firewall registry so that it would be reconstructed without the group policy thing. This worked and I am now able to turn on/off my firewall, however that didn't fix the problem of my programs not being able to access the internet. The virus had also apparently added something to IE that ran as an addon and played random advertisements' audio clips. Upon researching this problem I finally went through and installed Malwarebytes and ran a scan which removed quite a few entries (A lot more than I was expecting after having removed quite a few with spybot previously). However, again, the programs are still unable to connect to the internet. Anyone have any ideas on what could be doing this?
I realized I'm still infected, the question wasn't that however. The question is does anyone know a setting or set of settings that would have been changed that makes it so that multiple programs are now incapable of connecting to the internet? It seems to do so in the same way that a firewall does.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI