This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Random Connection Issues

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

As of very recently, my internet connection has had some lag spikes that can last 10-20mins and occur randomly. I have tried resetting my router and modem and that fixes the issue for maybe 5-10 minutes but the lags returns after that time period. I am using the program Ventrilo in order to see my ping fluxuate. Using my desktop and a laptop I compared the two connections and they seemed to fluxuate in unison so I don't think it would be both of the network cards. Any help would be very appreciative. Thanks!
Hi Kturvz, welcome to WhatTheTech. Since two computers are seeing the same problem it has to be something they have in common. I would suspect the Router or the Cable/DSL Router, our your ISP is over committed and throttling connections. Does this happen at specific times or any time?
Router or the Cable/DSL Modem, our your ISP is having problems then. Not many other possibilities. Start with your ISP. Have them do a line quality check.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI