This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Corrupt Windows files not fixed or replaced

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have been speaking to Jeff in the Spyware/ Malware/ Virus forum for the past month or so (see http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…p;#entry814047). Please read the thread as it will explain all that we have done to the computer since January.

I had some kind of malware problems that are now cleared , but during the fixes, some Windows files have been corrupted or missing and now my OS is not functioning as it should.

To start with I had "The windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode(which I'm not) or if the WIndows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your suport personnel for assistance" which I fixed by unregistering and reregistering Windows Installer. Then Internet explorer was not working at all. Wouldn't load up, said it couldn't find the server. I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded Internet explorer 8. That is fine now.

I also discovered that the print spooler to my printer was turned off and was unable to print. However, I have been into Services.msc and turned it back on and the printer works.

About a month ago I had an error message saying "Generic Host Process for Win32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close".
Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.5512, faulting module unknown, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x00000000.

I have not had the problem since.

The Help and Support pages aren't running and when I try to start them in services.msc it says that there is an error:126 and the specified module could not be found. I tried to load srvsvc dll from the XP Installation disc using info from this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922376 but it did not work.

Also, the autoplay was not running on the CD drive and I have had trouble reading discs and finding associated programs to run them on (ie. Windows Media player for music CD).

I tried Microsoft Autoplay Repair Wizard which seemed to fix several things, but couldn't fix a Autoplay V2 event. Log details below:
AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2013-02-25 19:35:15]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 3) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [D:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [HKCU\…\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Present}
Result [HKCU\…\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKCU\…\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\…\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\…\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\…\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\…\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present)
HKLM\…\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent)
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\…!AlwaysEnable (Absent)
What is that and how do I do it? I'm guessing you mean removing and reinstalling XP? What would it involve and is it very complicated?! My PC is not new and the only reinstall disc I have is from 2004 with Service Pack 1 on it. I wouldn't want to lose anything, although I have backed up pictures, music and documents recently.
You might like to look at this Windows 8 Upgrade: clean install possible? I'm fairly certain it applies to all W8 versions. Take note of the workaround mentioned.

Here is a simpler option you might like to try How To Refresh Or Reset Your Windows 8 PC I think this option only works if you made a USB or DVD of your original W8 download.


W8 is new to me as I've only recently installed it, but on my laptop only so I've yet to mess around with re-installs. A legal yet full W8 ISO (not upgrade) download to make a DVD disk would be good :)
Could I use CHKDSK from the recovery console or a repair install, again through the recovery console? I haven't tried either of these, but just found them suggested on another site.

Could I use CHKDSK from the recovery console or a repair install, again through the recovery console? I haven't tried either of these, but just found them suggested on another site

If you have a W8 disk, yes probably but SFC scannow (system file checker) might be better. Do you have a W8 disk?

Sorry for the confusion in my earlier post, so lets stick with the problems at hand as I don't know enough about W8 to give you a step-by-step on re-installing it unless you bought a W8 retail box. For a W8 upgrade download and I assume that's what you have, Microsoft is not making it easy or clear about reinstall options (yet). My advice therefore would be strictly second-hand and unless you are fairly techy, it's best not to go there.

To clarify your first post, what exactly are the things that do not work properly or not at all, now?
Lee. why are you telling him to use a Windows 8 disc when he has Windows XP, or at least that is what it sounds link, especially since the PC is from 2004. Did I miss something?

Lee. why are you telling him to use a Windows 8 disc when he has Windows XP

If Kmoss has a W8 disk, there is no need to go down that XP road. If he has a disk, a W8 reset is probably all that is required.
Firstly I am she not he! Secondly, I only have Xp on an older machine as I already said and don't wish to have Windows 8. I just want to fix what is wrong and if I knew what steps to take I'm sure it could be fixed fairly easily. If you read all of this post I have explained the problems I've been having in as much detail as I can. Also the link to the previous thread explains everything that happened first to cause the problems. Much as I appreciate the help, I only want realistic and appropriate advice please.
My apologies Kmos, after I suggested an "upgrade install" (I was refering to W8 of course) as XP support is soon to be finished, for some reason (probably a brain burp) I thought that is what you had done and you were now having trouble with it :smack:

After again reading your initial post here and all six pages of your post in the Melware forum where Jeffce helped you, it seems that you have an unstable machine with quite a few problems, probably caused as Jeffce said, by old Melware.

I would advise a fresh install of XP to fix the problems. See the WTT guide here How to Reformat and Reinstall your Operating System

Cheers,
Lee

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI