This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Remaining Infection or Corrupted Windows?

5 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=129854

 

Good morning,

I have been working with Marie Curie at Spyware/Malware/Virus Removal. As I suspected, my friend's computer needs problems with Windows Services repaired. We've removed most of the malware and PUPs but problems continue. Services like appwiz and the msi installer and cmd are not working.  Initially there was a Trojan and worm on the computer, that were removed early on with Easy Recovery Virus Scan. At one point, I tried doing an in place "upgrade' repair, but the installer could not access existing files on the disc. I'd tried Panda Online Scan and it could not run either. Please help! Thank you. -MsMagoo

Hi Ms Magoo,

I'll take a look at the logs you submitted and see if we can make some suggestions that may help.

I'll get back to your shortly

Regards

paws

Hi MsMagoo,

I have spent some time reviewing your other topic and it seems that we are dealing here with one badly damaged system.

 

I assume you have run basic checks already such as:

 

1 running chkdsk with the r switch.

 

2 Running sfc /scannow

( both the above need to be run from a command prompt with elevated privileges)

 

3 Setting up a new admin level user account and seeing if functionality improves when booting into this new account

 

4 Running memtest (an overnight test is favourite) don't forget to reseat the RAM modules before starting)

 

5 Downloading the hard drive manufacturer's disc checking/repair utility and performing both a short scan and if it passes the full long scan

 

6 Checking the outputs from the Power Supply Unit ( PSU) are correct

 

7 Booting into safe mode with networking and seeing if there is any improvement (be careful as your protections will not be working correctly in safe mode)

 

8 Booting from a live distro of Linux (Puppy is good) running it in RAM to basically check out the majority of your machine's other hardware.

 

9 Assuming all is well on the above then check and double check ( and then check again!) that everything that is important to the owner and you on the computer is fully and accurately backed up and with multiple copies…. at least one of which should be validated and kept safe on removable media, offsite.

 

10 Run the audit tool Belarc adviser (free edition) and save the output to removable media as this will give you details of the product keys serial numbers etc…… when you are satisfied then perform the tweaking .com all in one repair tool once again, making sure that you follow every step and in particular start at the shutdown unplug and drain down procedure, be sure to run all the repairs that are ticked and do it in safe mode with networking……After a reboot check for improvement, and if still no joy then "restore to factory" and then reinstall all the required applications, activate your firewall, install all required drivers, anti virus etc and of course the hundreds of Windows updates that will be necessary!

 

It would be wise to inform the owner of these procedural steps as they should know that in the final analysis all their files will be removed  and the machine will be just as it was, in operating system terms, as when it first left the factory.

 

They should also know that these measures will take several days of  continuous work and would be quite an expensive procedure to undertake if they were paying a repair shop's regular rate.

 

We do not advise drastic steps such as step 10 lightly or without considerable thought, however in view of the multitude of issues with this computer trying to repair what is essentially broken, by a piecemeal approach is not a  recipe for success.

 

The owner must of course decide for themselves how they wish to proceed, however if this machine was brought into my workshop then the above steps would be the only ones that would be offered.

 

Please let us know how things go as it would be good to keep Curie in the picture following her hard work with you on the preliminary disinfection.

 

Incidentally if you need information on how to perform any of the steps outlined post back with the exact make and model number of the computer and we will advise.

 

Regards

paws

Hi Paws,

I look forward to the completion of your message. I have run memory and hard drive checks and tried to do the in place "upgrade" repair to the operating system. System Restore does not work because "the volume shadow copy service used by system restore is not working" error 81000202. I ran scandisk, but could not check for updates to repair the damaged files error 8007003. Windows installer service could not be started, etc. -MsMagoo

chkdsk with the r switch seemed to run fine with no errors and rebooted.

 

Could not run sfc /scannow same as befoe "windows installer service could not be started SubInACL".

 

I am currently running Memtest86+ from USB. That will keep it busy for a long time.

 

Surprisingly, I was able to burn HP recovery discs from the Recovery Partition. Sure would have been nice if I could burn a driver disc, too.

 

Owners did a thorough backup to an external hard drive before bringing the computer to me, so that's taken care of.

 

And so it goes. -MsMagoo

I'm still working on it. Made some fine progress. Hit a snag with windows updates- Tweaking.com has helped. I will send details later.

Sorry I didn't post to tell you of the successful completion. I stated this note:

 

HP hardware testing and MEMTEST86+(I ran 7 passes)  and Seagate Hard drive tests came back with no errors at all. I decided not to put off the inevitable and did the restore to factory settings. It is working like a new machine. HP's restore is great- drivers seem to be in place and 211 updates downloaded quickly last night.

 

Hit the snag with Windows updates. Tweaking.com did a fine job of resolving it. I had not understood the last page/tab. Resolving the issues took care of it. Then had to install a few updates one at a time. It's running fine and my friend is really pleased. Thank you for your fine help. :banana:  MsMagoo :woot: 
 

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI