This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Adding a printer to a Samsung TV

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Trying to attach a printer to my plasma PN51E8000 TV. The setup said to obtain an IP address and port number. The TV is wired to a router for internet access. My house has two PC's with HP printers, each PC can print to each printer. I input the address and port number from one PC, but a box appears on the TV saying "can not add printer". So I called Samsung, at first the person was unsure of the solution, then the person said that I had to use a Samsung printer. I then asked if there was a certain model needed, the response was not specific. I have called for Samsung help before, and everytime the answer/solution is vague. Can a standalone printer be attached to this TV, does it have to be a Samsung?
I have little experience in this kind of set up, but searching I have found a couple of options that may help you, as to needing to be a Samsung printer, I'm sure they would like you to think and buy that (as a company), and it's not impossible for this, seem makers restrict extras to their own kit before, but you need to exhaust other options before following such thinking, unless it is specifically stated.

I saw the following which may make a difference:-

Note: Windows PCs with XP and Vista installed require Samsung's PC Share Manager software, which can be downloaded for free at www.samsung.com. Not compatible with older Windows OS versions and Mac.

Not sure what difference it will make, but I mention it incase it helps.

I also saw it has a direct link ability, basically it doesn't need to use your router to get to the wireless device, it can link straight to it, this is probably the best option for you, this is what I saw said:-

WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Samsung Plasma TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.


I have noticed in the last year (that I have noticed anyway) they are using WPS on a lot more devices, it seems your TV has this, so if your printer or router has this as well, you should be able to connect via this, you just press and hold the WPS button until it starts flashing, repeat on the other device then they should start talking to each other and set themselves up, just keep watching any screens incase it asks for anything, logically anyway, if that doesn't help here are the ways set by Samsung:-

Automatically Adding a Printer
1. Go to the Printer Settings. (Menu → System → Device Manager → Printer Settings)
2. Select Add New Printer.
3. The TV scans for printers on the same sub network. When the scan is completed, the connected printers are listed. Only network printers connected to the same network are supported. Shared local printers that are connected to PCs by a printer or USB cable only are not supported. Check the specifications of the printer that you want to use to see if it supports either a wired or wireless network connection. If the printer is not in the list, select Refresh. If the printer is not in the list even after the re-scan, please add the printer manually. See below.
4. Select a printer from the list. If the TV does not support the printer, the printer cannot be found or
added.

Manually Adding a Printer
1. Go to the Printer Settings. (Menu → System → Device Manager → Printer Settings)
2. Select Add New Printer.
3. Select Add Manually.
4. Enter the IP address and port number of the printer you want to connect, and then select Add. The selected printer is added to the printer list. The default port number is 9100. You can set the port number from 0 to 65535.
5. If the printer is added to the list successfully, a pop up message box appears. To set the added printer as the default printer, select Yes.
If the TV does not support the printer, the printer cannot be added.


Hope something there helps.
Thanks for the input. Just talked to Samsung today. The TV dept. said the printer had to be wireless. The printer dept. said that the wireless printer does need to be attached to a computer for the drivers. Can the connection from the computer be with a cable, because my computer does not have wireless capability right now. The TV dept. said that my TV would communicate with the printer thru my router by wireless.
As I said above, a direct connection to the printer is probably your best option, the instructions are listed above, just make sure the printer is visible when you start the search from the TV.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI