I want to connect a Samsung ML2510 to my wireless network. I have the Samsung printer connected to my laptop via a USD cable connection. Right beside my laptop I have a desktop that has no printer. Both laptop and desktop are Windows XP op system. So far, on the laptop, I've gone to control panel/printers & faxes/properties and clicking on the Sharing tab, then selected share this printer. It is my understanding that is what needs to be done first to enable the desktop to connect to this printer. But I don't know what to do on the desktop. One internet instruction told me to go to "Add a Printer Wizard" then type in the IP address of the printer. Well, I don't know what that is. So I abandoned that instruction. I've got to believe this is a very simple process.
Click on Start then Printers and Faxes
Click on Add Printer
Select A Network Printer and click Next
Select Browse for a printer and click Next
The printer you shared should show in the Shared Printers window. Select it and click Next
Click Yes to connect to the shared printer.
Select Yes to use the printer as the default and click Next
Click Finish
I have three computers in the house. My laptop is connected to the laser printer and of course, prints to that printer just fine. My wife has a laptop and we did exactly what you instructed above and it works. So now she can print to this laser printer over the wireless network as well. The problem has been the my desktop. I am at the "Add a Printer" wizard. I've selected network printer, then browse for a printer. But I can't get any further. The next screen screen says "Browse for Printer" and "when a list of printers appears, select the one you want to use" .. but there never is any list. There's a block next to the word PRINTER but I don't know what to type in there. I've typed in Samsung but it's not the correct name. Below that block it says "Shared Printers:" and down below that it says MICROSOFT WINDOWS NETWORK. When I just click next at the bottom of the screen it says "you need to specify a valid network printer name."
On my laptop I've installed the printer under program files, then Samsung, then Samsung ML-2510 Series. Should I use that designation in the block next to Printers? I'm at a standstill.
This may happen if the workgroup names are not the same on all computers.
Right click on My Computer and select Properties
Click on Computer Name. What is the name shown for Workgroup? Must be the same on all computers.
All "Home" versions of Windows default this to HOME, all "Professional" versions default to WORKGROUP.
To change, click on the Change button. Make sure Member of Workgroup is selected and change the name so they all match. Doesn't matter what you call them as long as they are all the same. I have mine set to HOME.
Click OK then Apply and OK. Reboot and try adding the printer again.
Well done … I knew it was something small. It worked just like you said it would. Thanks so much for your tech expertise. I appreciate that. My situation here will be much easier with being able to print to one printer vs taking off cables, then putting on cables to print, then taking off cables to go elsewhere in the house. Again, thanks much.