This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP SP3, Logon and Explorer not running

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I am unable to run any programs on my laptop. When I boot the laptop it begins loading windows, then throws the following error: The procedure entry point StringFromIID could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll. I have the option to click OK. When I click OK, the process proceeds and the following error is seen next: The procedure entry point OleSaveToStream could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll Again I can click OK. After this, my desktop background is visible, my mouse pointer is active (though I cannot right click for context menus). Desktop icons are not visible. The Windows START button and task bar are not visible, system tray is not visible. If I press Ctrl+Alt+Del I can start Windows Task Manager. However, I am not able to run any applications from File-> New Task(Run…). I am not able to run explorer.exe. I am not able to browse the folder structure, because folder names and all files seem to be invisible. A small number of folder icons are visible, but not their names. Clicking on these takes me into what appear to be empty folders. The laptop is a IBM Thinkpad R40e with 1GB RAM, running Windows XP SP3. The laptop will not boot from a USB thumbdrive. When I try to run an executable by typing in the full path (using Windows Task Manager File-> New Task) I get the following error: This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an association in the Folder Options control panel. Again I can click OK. I have tried using pressing F8 on boot, and booting into safe mode. I get the same errors, and am unable to run System Restore. I have tried restoring to Last known good configuration when booting. I get the same errors. I know that the files are still present, as I was able to view them using a copy of F4UBCD LiveCD. The CD has a number of tools, but I was unable to run HJT or Malwarebytes using the LiveCD. I was referred to this forum after I posted here: Desktop Blank no Icons and no START btn.. I would appreciate any help that someone could render, as I have no clue of even the first step to recovery. Thank you. elmkd
Try this: You are going to have to get into BIOS Setup on your computer to set the CD/DVD drive as the first bootable device, so you can then boot your XP CD, unless it provides the ability to press a Fn key at boot time to bring up the boot selection menu. If it does, use that.

How you do this varies with each manufacturer. Normally you press F1, F2, F10 or Del when you see the manufacturers logo. Often there is a clue somewhere on the screen when you boot normally telling you what key to press. Some computers (most newer ones) have a key you can press (often F12) to bring up the Boot Menu from where you can select the CD/DVD drive to boot from.

If you don't have an XP CD, download and run ARCDC by Artellos. It will download the required files from the Microsoft Web site and create a .iso file. It will also offer to burn the iso image to a CD for you. If you don't do it then, there is a good freeware burner called ImgBurn which will do it at a later time. If you're unsure how to do this, you can follow the tutorial here: How to Burn an ISO File.

The above can be done from any computer with Internet access.

On the problem computer, boot the CD and at the first opportunity, enter R to start the Recovery Console.

Next, choose which XP installation you want to login to. Normally this will be 1.
Lastly you will be asked for the Administrator password. Just press the Enter key as the Administrator does not have a password (unless you gave it one, then you would enter it).

From the command prompt, type: chkdsk /r and press Enter.
Allow it to complete undisturbed. It can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.

Remove the CD, type exit and the computer will reboot. Hopefully that will have fixed the problem (corrupted file system).
Thank you for you reply. I got created the disc using ARCDC, I selected R and ran check disk. I got the following blue screen error: STOP: c0000139 {Entry Point Not Found} The procedure entry point LdrSetMUICacheType could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll. Regards, elmkd
Hello: I have a copy of F4UBCD LiveCD. I tried running the chkdsk utility on that disc. It runs from within the MinXP environment. It ran to completion. I tried booting afterwards and the problem had not gone away. Is there anything else that I can try? Regards, elmkd
Do you have a XP Installation CD or is there a Recovery Partition on your hard drive? If so I would recommend backing up your data and doing a fresh install of XP.then restore the data.
Thank you for your help with this. I was hoping not to need a full re-install. This is the first time that I have been unable to resolve a problem with the help of the knowledgeable people on this forum. I will go ahead and perform the install. Regards, elmkd

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI