This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Desktop Blank no Icons and no START btn. [Closed]

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello Usually I would post an HJT Log, but I am unable to run any programs on the laptop. When I boot the laptop it begins loading windows, then throws the following error: The procedure entry point StringFromIID could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll. I have the option to click OK. When I click OK, the process proceeds and the following error is seen next: The procedure entry point OleSaveToStream could not be located in the dynamic link library old32.dll Again I can click OK. After this, my desktop background is visible, my mouse pointer is active (though I cannot right click for context menus). Desktop icons are not visible. The Windows START button and task bar is not visible, system tray is not visible. If I press Ctrl+Alt+Del I can start Windows Task Manager. However, I am not able to run any applications from File-> New Task(Run…). I am not able to run explorer.exe. I am not able to browse. and folder names and all files seem to be invisible. The laptop is running Windows XP SP3. I know that the files are still present, as I was able to view them using a LiveCD. I was unable to run HJT or Malwarebytes using the LiveCD. I would appreciate any help that someone could render, as I have no clue of even the first step to recovery. Regards, ELMKD
:welcome:

A couple of options

1.
  • Go to Start> Shut off your Computer> Restart
  • Or if the computer is off press the power button
  • As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly,
    this will bring up a menu.
  • Use the Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll up to Last Known Good Configuration
  • Then press the Enter Key on your Keyboard
Tutorial if you need it How to boot into Safemode




2.
  • Go to Start> Shut off your Computer> Restart
  • As the computer starts to boot-up, Tap the F8 KEY somewhat rapidly,
    this will bring up a menu.
  • Use the Up and Down Arrow Keys to scroll up to Safemode
  • Then press the Enter Key on your Keyboard
Tutorial if you need it How to boot into Safemode

While in Safemode, try doing a System Restore

1. Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools> System Restore > Restore my computer to an earlier time

Find a date prior to this problem and restore back to that time
Thank you for your response. I tried restoring to the last known good configuration on boot. This did not work. I also tried booting into safe mode. This also did not work. Regards, elmkd
Just to give you more detail booting into safe mode: Winlogon.exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point StringFromIID could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll Explorer.exe - Entry Point Not Found The procedure entry point OleSaveToStream could not be located in the dynamic link library ole32.dll Desktop is blank, pointer is active, right click does not bring up alternative menu. It's the same as booting into Windows normally. Just for information purposes I have a copy of F4UBCD live CD. I am able to boot into the MinXP environment, is there anything that I can do from there? The Malwarebytes etc. does not work in this environment, but there is GMER and a few other tools that work. Regards, elmkd
I tried running the ESET Online Scanner from the MiniXP environment in F4UBCD. According to ESET there are instances of: a variant of Win32/Bundled.Toolbar.Ask application The scan is not complete. Regards, elmkd
Hi, What ESET found, Ask Toolbar is more adware than anything and would not be causing you these problems. When the scan completes, let me know what else if anything it found. What other tools do you have in MiniXP environment ?
Unfortunately, it did no find any other issues. The following tools are available: Combofix CoolWebSearch Remover Disable Autorun.inf EzPcFix GMER HijackThis Malwarebytes Protect a Drive from Autorun Virus Remove Fake Antivirus RKill Rootkit Revealer RRT - Remove Restrictions Tool SmitFraudFix SuperAntiSpyware Xp AntiSpy XP TCPIP Winsock Repair HijackThis does not scan the C: drive in the MiniXP environment. GMER does. I don't know what to try. Would you like me to run GMER and post the log?
Yes, run GMER , it may show if a rootkit is behind this , if not it just may be a corrupted system and at that point I can link you to the windows people to see if they can get you up and running
Here is the GMER log. I don't know if it will be helpful though, it looks very short.

GMER 1.0.15.15281 - http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2013-02-18 16:09:22
Windows 5.1.2600
Running: G-MER.exe; Driver: B:\Temp\kwtdypog.sys


—- System - GMER 1.0.15 —-

INT 0x01 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\dummy.sys F7DF17C0
INT 0x03 \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\dummy.sys F7DF17E0
INT 0x30 \I386\SYSTEM32\HALACPI.DLL 80A1DD54
INT 0x38 \I386\SYSTEM32\HALACPI.DLL 80A17EF0

—- Kernel code sections - GMER 1.0.15 —-

? \I386\SYSTEM32\NTOSKRNL.EXE kernel module suspicious modification
? \I386\SYSTEM32\NTOSKRNL.EXE The system cannot find the file specified. !

—- Devices - GMER 1.0.15 —-

AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Ntfs \Ntfs dc_fsf.sys
AttachedDevice \Driver\ftdisk \Device\HarddiskVolume1 dcrypt.sys
AttachedDevice \Driver\ftdisk \Device\HarddiskVolume1 snapman.sys (Acronis Snapshot API/Acronis)

Device \Driver\ACPI_HAL \Device\00000008 HALACPI.DLL

AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat dc_fsf.sys
AttachedDevice \FileSystem\Fastfat \Fat fltmgr.sys (Microsoft Filesystem Filter Manager/Microsoft Corporation)

—- EOF - GMER 1.0.15 —-
Combofix is able to update itself. However on opening, I got several notifications that Combofix does not run in this environment. The MiniXP environment runs with X:\ as it's root/ system drive and C:\ as a local drive. So when Combofix was starting up it was unable to find the registry files, it is currently attempting to create a new system restore point. I don't think that it will succeed. Regards, elmkd
Well, at this point I think you need to post in our windows forum and let them get you up and running, once they do I will keep this thread open for so post back and let me know how it went. Use your same user name as here so I can find you and follow along, you can also link them to this thread so they can see what we have done. Once your able to boot to Windows normally we can run some scans and see whats going on and decide if this was just a corrupted system or if malware was to blame

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=119

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI