if i'm understanding the question correctly then no that is not correct.
most laptops will show 2 active connections (turned on and ready to use whether connected to a network or not, if i remember correctly) in the control panel.
ethernet which is the hardware port where you connect the cable from your router/modem
and
wifi which is the wireless hardware inside the laptop.
on a desktop if you looked in the control panel you'll usually just find the 1 ethernet connection listed because they don't have any wifi hardware on them.
How is your laptop connected, Wi-Fi or Ethernet? Win 7 or Win 8?
My desktop is Ethernet then I use the laptop wirelessly via my router.
Please see the attachment where my name is listed twice instead of once as in Win 7. I read about it and this was changed a lot in Win 8.
I have Win 8 and it is harder in this case.
Does the attachment look as it should?
Hook up an Ethernet cable to the laptop and check this again. I suspect you'll see both wifi and Ethernet showing.
>>You are correct
I see the same with the Ethernet cable hooked to the laptop as I see on just the desktop, that is 2 names. Without the cable I see only the one name.
I understand why and thank you.
Since Win 8 except for you and one or two people, I have gotten a myriad of replies about issues from people who have Win 7 and I clearly state Win 8. I guess they scan a thread and just pop a reply in.
Two very different beasts.
I wish Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 were split off into their own forums as that would cut down considerably on that kind of misinformation.
Could never get the folks here to agree to do that. Most other forums have it setup that way though.