This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

I am having trouble restoring backup of firefox in Windows 8

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I made a backup of the firefox settings in Windows Vista using the guide at this link: http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/back-a…irefox-profiles

I just got my new computer which has Windows 8 and want to restore my firefox backup. How do I restore the backup?: Or at least get to the Profiles folder that contains the Firefox data so that I can copy my backup over on windows 8? Can someone help asap? :o My mother needs to access her information very soon.

Thanks. :)
What part of the instructions don't you understand? Everything is described in the link you gave, both the backup part and the restore part. We can help but need to know what you need help with.

What part of the instructions don't you understand? Everything is described in the link you gave, both the backup part and the restore part.

We can help but need to know what you need help with.


I know everything is described in the link I gave. The problem was that it was for WINDOWS 7 and not Windows 8. I was unable to use the directions provided to copy my folder to the folder in firefox on Windows 8 at that time. When you copy appdata etc into the start search nothing comes up. It is not that clear cut.

However I have figured another way to get to the folder. Thanks anyway.

A mod may close this thread.
Hi leader2, Glad you got the issue fixed, well done :thumbup: In this forum we don't close topics, but it would be helpful for other folks (who are searching for solutions for similar issues)to learn how you fixed it. Can you post back with the details please? Thanks paws

Hi leader2,
Glad you got the issue fixed, well done
:thumbup:

In this forum we don't close topics, but it would be helpful for other folks (who are searching for solutions for similar issues)to learn how you fixed it.
Can you post back with the details please?
Thanks
paws


Sorry for my late reply. I've had a computer issue and needed to refresh my system. I have to reinstall ALL my programs including firefox. I will definitely post back my details as soon as I get everything up and running again.

Sorry for the request to close the thread. I thought that was done on every forum. I appreciate your request for the details. I'm sure this will help other moving over to Win 8. :)
Hi. Sorry it took me so long to post. I had to my computer back to the way it was. I hope I this information helps others. In the link in my original post all you had to do was search for the firefox folder and it would pop right up. It doesn't quite work that way in Win8 as nothing shows up when you follow the directions in that link. So I found a work around. Here are the directions. Sorry that's it's in uppercase, but I originally wrote these for my mother and it's easier for us to see uppercase fonts. HOW TO BACKUP FIREFOX BROWSER AND BOOKMARKS IN WINDOWS 8 1. CLICK FOLDER BUTTON IN TASK BAR AND CLICK COMPUTER OR IF ON DESKTOP DBL CLICK COMPUTER 2. TYPE FIREFOX IN SEARCH BOX AND WAIT FOR GREEN BAR TO LOAD 3. RIGHT CLICK C:\Windows\Users\Eurceliakins\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla IN SEARCH RESULTS (IT SHOULD BE NEAR THE TOP) and CLICK OPEN IN NEW WINDOW 4. DBL CLICK THE PROFILES FOLDER AND YOU WILL SEE C:\Windows.old\Users\Eurceliakins\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles IN ADDRESS BAR. ERASE EVERYTHING AFTER ROAMING AND CLICK ENTER 5. RIGHT CLICK AND COPY MOZILLA FOLDER 6. COPY AND PASTE THE FOLDER IN THE LOCATION OF YOUR CHOICE. IF YOU ARE TOLD TO TRY AGAIN SKIP OR CANCEL IT'S BECAUSE FIREFOX IS OPEN. CLOSE ALL OF FIREFOX AND TRY AGAIN. REPLACE ANY EXISTING FILES IF YOU NEED TO. YOU ARE DONE. YOU NOW HAVE A BACKUP COPY OF THE MOZILLA FIREFOX BROWSER. Paws I hope that helps the others. Let me know if it does. I've never done a tutorial before so I hope this was clear enough for everyone to understand. Let me know if it is. ^_^ B)
Hi Leader2, Many thanks for setting out the steps you followed and that were successful. :thumbup: A lot of things in Win 8 are not "second nature" as earlier operating systems were ( because of long experience of using and fixing them…) so folks will benefit from your experiences. Regards paws

Hi Leader2,

Many thanks for setting out the steps you followed and that were successful.

:thumbup:
A lot of things in Win 8 are not "second nature" as earlier operating systems were ( because of long experience of using and fixing them…) so folks will benefit from your experiences.
Regards

paws


Thanks paws. I'm glad I could help. Please also tell me what you think of my instructions concerning my problem with the Win 8 administrator name here:

Windows 8 administrator username problem

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…st&p=811191

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI