This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Spyware / Malware / Virus Removal

Likely virus infected computer.... :-( [Solved]

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have a computer that has been acting a little funny all week. It is running Windows 7 64 bit, with Avast Internet Security (fully updated paid version). When I looked into things a little closer yesterday, I noticed that all Avast services had been shut off (not by me, presumably by a virus?). When I opened the Avast program it said, “Unsecured – Fix Now!” When I tried to restart the various programs/services/shields running, the services wouldn’t start. Avast just sat there. I did get some errors at some point, “Shield unreachable” and “a setiface error has occurred: 2” and “no more endpoints” and error reading product data.” Those are the ones I remember. But the bottom line is that I was never able to get any of the Avast services up and running. Then I got a Windows security error. It said that my antivirus program wasn’t running, and it also said that my computer was infected with the “Win32/small.ca” virus. Through research and using the Microsoft tools, I attempted to locate this supposed virus on my computer and could not find it to remove manually. The MS virus tool did find “Adware:Win32/opencandy” and said it partially removed that, but that was all. My thought was to uninstall Avast and reinstall it and see if I could get it to work that way. Of course I was not able to uninstall it the regular way, so I uninstalled it using the Avast uninstall utility. That worked. I then restarted the computer in safemode, reinstalled Avast and attempted to run a virus scan. It scanned for about half an hour and then said it found nothing???? But again, it will not let me start any of the Avast real time services and the computer is acting funny so I know there is something on the computer blocking Avast and making it act weird. We really need this computer up and running. Can you please help? I will post first a hijackthis log and then will post a malware bytes log when that scan has completed.

Here is the HiJackThis Log:

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 11:23:37 AM, on 3/29/2012
Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v9.00 (9.00.8112.16421)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE
C:\Windows\sysWow64\SearchProtocolHost.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Tabs3\CMMAIN.EXE
C:\Program Files (x86)\Tabs3\STMapi.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Tabs3\dropbox.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office12\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastUI.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://g.msn.com/USSMB/1
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://g.msn.com/USSMB/1
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page = C:\Windows\SysWOW64\blank.htm
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In SSV Helper - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: avast! WebRep - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\aswWebRepIE.dll
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: Java™ Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: SmartSelect - {F4971EE7-DAA0-4053-9964-665D8EE6A077} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: avast! WebRep - {8E5E2654-AD2D-48bf-AC2D-D17F00898D06} - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\aswWebRepIE.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast] "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\RunOnce: [mctadmin] C:\Windows\System32\mctadmin.exe (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Global Startup: QuickBooks Update Agent.lnk = C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBUpdate\qbupdate.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append Link Target to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppend.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert Link Target to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECaptureSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Convert to Adobe PDF - res://C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIECapture.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~2\MICROS~1\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\program files (x86)\common files\microsoft shared\windows live\wlidnsp.dll
O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
O18 - Protocol: intu-help-qb2 - {84D77A00-41B5-4B8B-8ADF-86486D72E749} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks 2009\HelpAsyncPluggableProtocol.dll
O18 - Protocol: qbwc - {FC598A64-626C-4447-85B8-53150405FD57} - mscoree.dll (file missing)
O23 - Service: Andrea RT Filters Service (AERTFilters) - Andrea Electronics Corporation - C:\Program Files\Realtek\Audio\HDA\AERTSr64.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\AvastSvc.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Firewall - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\afwServ.exe
O23 - Service: Broadcom Power monitoring service (BPowMon) - Broadcom Corp. - C:\Program Files\Broadcom\BPowMon\BPowMon.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Macrovision Europe Ltd. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: LMIGuardianSvc - LogMeIn, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn\x64\LMIGuardianSvc.exe
O23 - Service: LogMeIn Maintenance Service (LMIMaint) - LogMeIn, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn\x64\RaMaint.exe
O23 - Service: LogMeIn - LogMeIn, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn\x64\LogMeIn.exe
O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: QBCFMonitorService - Intuit - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\QBCFMonitorService.exe
O23 - Service: Intuit QuickBooks FCS (QBFCService) - Intuit Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit\QuickBooks\FCS\Intuit.QuickBooks.FCS.exe
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: stllssvr - MicroVision Development, Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\SureThing Shared\stllssvr.exe
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

–
End of file - 9823 bytes
Here is the Malwarebytes log. The computer blue-screened twice while I was trying to do a Malware Bytes full scan, so I had to do the quickscan. I will post the Blue Screen errors below also. Ugggghhhh….

MALWAREBYTES LOG:

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.50.1.1100
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 912032806

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1
Internet Explorer 9.0.8112.16421

3/29/2012 12:23:42 PM
mbam-log-2012-03-29 (12-23-42).txt

Scan type: Quick scan
Objects scanned: 213844
Time elapsed: 2 minute(s), 0 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

BLUE SCREEN ERROR LOGS:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1a
BCP1: 0000000000005003
BCP2: FFFFF70001080000
BCP3: 0000000000000420
BCP4: 0000042400000844
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\032912-22448-01.dmp
C:\Users\mbailey\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-39483-0.sysdata.xml


AND:


Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1a
BCP1: 0000000000041790
BCP2: FFFFFA8001323E70
BCP3: 000000000000FFFF
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\032912-19344-01.dmp
C:\Users\mbailey\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-672847-0.sysdata.xml
Avast seems to be working right now? I have managed to do a full system scan and boot-time scan with Avast that show no errors or infected files…. Not sure if that will help any. How would I know if my computer is clean? And how in the world did it get clean???????
Hi,

Please run the following:

For x64 bit systems download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64 and save it to a flash drive.

Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.

Enter System Recovery Options.

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:
  • Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.
To enter System Recovery Options by using Windows installation disc:
  • Insert the installation disc.
  • Restart your computer.
  • If prompted, press any key to start Windows from the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check your BIOS settings.
  • Click Repair your computer.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account an click Next.
On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

[*]Select Command Prompt

[*]In the command window type in notepad and press Enter.

[*]The notepad opens. Under File menu select Open.

[*]Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.

[*]In the command window type e:\frst.exe (for x64 bit version type e:\frst64) and press Enter

Note: Replace letter e with the drive letter of your flash drive.
[*]The tool will start to run.

[*]When the tool opens click Yes to the disclaimer.

[*]Place a check next to List Drivers MD5 as well as the default check marks that are already there

[*]Press Scan button.

[*]type exit and reboot the computer normally

[*]FRST will make a log (FRST.txt) on the flash drive, please copy and paste the log in your reply.

Attached is the FRST log. From what I can tell, the virus MAY be gone (because Avast is actually running now), but the computer is out of whack. I'm guessing the virus did damage? I was also going to attach the only minidump file that was on that computer, but the forum will not let me - "upload failed. you are not permitted to upload this type of file."

Attachments:

There were no signs of infection in the log, so Avast may have removed the problem but what do you mean when you say "out of whack"?

Try a defrag, see if that helps

First open an elevated Command Prompt
  • Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories
  • right click on the Command Prompt and choose “Run as administrator”
  • Type the following see how much your hard drive is fragmented (in this example, your C:\ drive):
  • defrag c: -a (be patient, this can take a while)
  • The resulting analysis will tell you a “Percent file fragmentation” and at the bottom, if you need to defragment the drive or not.
  • To fully defragment your C:\ drive type the following:
  • defrag c: -w
  • Give it time to run (it can take a while, best to leave the computer alone) and then you’re done!


we can run another scan just to make sure

Go here to run an online scanner from ESET.
  • Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activeX control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked and the Scan Archives option is ticked.
  • Click on Advanced Settings, ensure the options Scan for potentially unwanted applications, Scan for potentially unsafe applications, and Enable Anti-Stealth Technology are ticked.
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • When the scan completes, press the LIST OF THREATS FOUND button
  • Press EXPORT TO TEXT FILE , name the file ESETSCAN and save it to your desktop
  • Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Press the BACK button.
  • Press Finish
Thank you for responding. So far, you have been more responsive than Avast! Grrrrr…… SO frustrating! I defragged the computer even though it was only 3% fragmented. I also ran an ESET scan. Here are the results: C:\Users\mbailey\Downloads\MusicnotesSuite.exe Win32/OpenCandy application deleted - quarantined That's it. After running the scan, I got the following error: "onlinecmdlinescanner.exe stopped working" I have no idea what that means. In other whacky news, Windows Explorer also crashed and I had to restart the entire computer. One of our Outlook .pst files will not load (error 0x80040119). The computer randomly disconnects from the printer. I have run various other scans, one by Microsoft, that detected memory issues???? I tried to continue with a MS recommended fix, but explorer crashes. Ugh. This is seriously frustrating. Is there a way to just "repair" Windows and everything on your computer?
I attempted the repair from the website you directed me to. I was not able to repair because it said I could not upgrade from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 7 Pro? I found another link that had me do a startup repair, which found nothing. I am so, extremely frustrated. I did also run the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool which gave me the following message: "Hardware problems detected. To identify and repair these problems, you will need to contact the computer manufacturer." I also did a system restore to two weeks ago and am re-running all virus scans. Anything else you suggest? I have no clue what to make of the memory tool error, and when I attempted to try and run another scan using memtest86 (I think that's what it's called) I couldn't figure out how to do it! #FRUSTRATEDBEYONDBELIEF!
Here is the new HiJackThis log (after doing the system restore). Can you please tell me if you see ANYTHING out of whack or things that I can select and tell HiJackThis to fix? Otherwise, so far, ESET scanner and Avast have both revealed no threats….
Hi,

I'm not seeing anything that could be causing the issues you are describing.

I suspect it is more than likely a hardware issues.

I suggest starting a new topic in our hardware forum and see if any of our expert techs can see what the issue may be

http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showforum=126

Right click and delete the tools and logs that I had you run.

let me know how you make out

sorry i couldn't be more help

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI