Hi,
Issue is that windows Explorer keeps crashing, Not internet explorer, windows explorer.
This only happens when launching a window such as 'My Computer' or 'My Documents' etc. Or if an application launches explorer, like Microsoft powerpoint when you press 'save as' etc etc.
also, I don't know if its related but when going 'Start > All Programs' for the first time after boot up, no matter how long I leave it before opening it, it will show all the folder names but has no icons next to them, and when I click on them, the icon becomes the icon for searching like when you do a windows search for something (the magnifying glass moving around a piece of paper). Basically its as though its taking a long time to load all the icons into cache or something.
I have scanned for viruses with Bitdefender antivirus plus 2013 and reported nothing. Also with malwarebytes malware scanner and rootkit scanner, and they both reported nothing.
Its not the specs of my pc I don't think:
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3
O.S: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
CPU: AMD FX -8120 (3.1Ghz 8 Core)
RAM: 16Gb
GPU: XFX R7870 DD Black Edition
Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus plus 2013
HDD: 500Gb (5400RPM) Hitachi With OS + Apps installed
1Tb Seagate (5400 RPM) With all data installed (music, films, games, etc)
All Help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Josh
Try running chkdsk, see if that finds and fixes any file system errors,
Open My Computer.
Right click on drive: and select Properties (drive: is your boot drive, usually C:)
Click on the Tools tab then the Check now button.
Check the Automatically fix File System errors box.
Alternatively, you can click on Start then Run, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter.
For your boot drive (usually C:), you will get a window that says the check could not be performed ….
Do you want to schedule this disk check to run the next time you restart the computer?
Click on Yes.
Shutdown and reboot. Chkdsk will start. It can take an hour or more to run depending on the size of your hard drive.
Because a photo can explain it better than me… Heres a print screen of my 'all programs' this is the first time I opened 'Start' but is about 10 mins after boot up. you can see the 4 program folders I clicked on as their icon has the magnifying glass thingy. :') they would stay like that for about 2 mins then they all start to appear.
Cheers,
Josh
Click on Start then Run, type msconfig and press Enter.
Click on the Startup tab, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Reboot and see if it runs better.
If yes then use msconfig to enable several items at a time till you find the culprit.
If no, start msconfig and click on the Services tab.
Check the Hide All Microsoft Services box, record what is currently starting then click the Disable All button.
Again, do a regular boot, see if it runs normal.
If yes then use msconfig to enable services till you find the culprit.
Once you've found the culprit, uninstall it or find out how to eliminate it from your system. Simply disabling it in msconfig is a temporary fix at best.
Enable everything else you disabled.
hi, I tried with nothing enabled in startup, and I then tried diagnostic startup. it behaved the same way, although booting up quicker, (obviously :') )
What devices do you have connected to your computer.
Mouse & keyboard (wired or wireless)
Printers
USB devices
Bluetooth devices
Firewire devices
Also, uninstall BitDefender, see if that makes a difference. Reinstall if not. If it does, use a different AV. I use Microsoft Security Essentials.
Do you use a firewall other than the built in Windows Firewall? If so, disable it and test.
I seem to have fixed it. I just made it delete and re build the index and set it to index my entire pc, as a bit of a long shot, but it seems to have fixed both issues. :s bit odd I think but ill see how it goes, Thanks anyway. You've been very helpful. ill be returning here if I need any more help!!!
Thanks again,
Josh
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI