gangangunleon
Topic Starter
A few hours ago, my laptop suffered an c0000218 error whenever it tries to boot as seen below:
I used another computer to get information online and followed microsoft's instructions as seen in the link below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
However, when I was denied access to the System Volume Information folder even as an Administrator. I tried following instructions in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531 but I still am unable to continue this process. The laptop is a Dell Laptop D520 that runs on XP Pro SP2, Intel T2300 1.66 Ghz, and only 760 MB RAM. I bought the laptop used and does not include a WinXP CD (I instead used my own Windows XP CD for my Desktop). Any help is appreciated.
On a side topic, although I can't access the required folder, I can still use my laptop, albeit with most of its drivers inoperable. Until it is resolved, I want to at least get the WiFi driver working so I can go online with it. Is there a software out there that helps me identify the hardware in my PC and what drivers I need to look for?
EDIT: Please disregard this post. It turns out I forgot to add the quotes in the CALCS command to gain access. However, because my laptop did not contain a restore point, I pretty much lost most of my hardware driver and software functions. I tried reinstalling my WiFI driver, but I keep getting the message "Internal Configuration is Inconsistent. Please Restart the Machine to resolve the problem". So unless there is a way I can get my old settings back, I have no other alternative but to reinstall XP. I still need to find the drivers for my hardware settings and any help on that is appreciated.
STOP: c0000218 {Registary File Failure}
The Registary cannot load the hive (file):
\systemRoot\system32\config\SYSTEM
or its log or alternate
It is corrupt, absent, or not available
Begining dump of physical memory.
Physical memory dump complete
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance
I used another computer to get information online and followed microsoft's instructions as seen in the link below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307545
However, when I was denied access to the System Volume Information folder even as an Administrator. I tried following instructions in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309531 but I still am unable to continue this process. The laptop is a Dell Laptop D520 that runs on XP Pro SP2, Intel T2300 1.66 Ghz, and only 760 MB RAM. I bought the laptop used and does not include a WinXP CD (I instead used my own Windows XP CD for my Desktop). Any help is appreciated.
On a side topic, although I can't access the required folder, I can still use my laptop, albeit with most of its drivers inoperable. Until it is resolved, I want to at least get the WiFi driver working so I can go online with it. Is there a software out there that helps me identify the hardware in my PC and what drivers I need to look for?
EDIT: Please disregard this post. It turns out I forgot to add the quotes in the CALCS command to gain access. However, because my laptop did not contain a restore point, I pretty much lost most of my hardware driver and software functions. I tried reinstalling my WiFI driver, but I keep getting the message "Internal Configuration is Inconsistent. Please Restart the Machine to resolve the problem". So unless there is a way I can get my old settings back, I have no other alternative but to reinstall XP. I still need to find the drivers for my hardware settings and any help on that is appreciated.