I'm trying to fix a problem with a family member's machine that I built for him a few years ago. Windows XP Home will not boot.
I get an error stating \windows\system32\config\system It then tells me to try a repair from the original install CD.
I have the original XP Home CD that I originally installed with on that particular machine. When I try to get to the Windows setup menu I get another error code>> File\i386\ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded Error code is 32768. That is after the 1st screen asking about SCSI or Raid on the lower banner, & the 2nd screen saying something about (Windows Executive) in the lower banner.
I have replaced the CMOS battery, reset the BIOS to the default settings (then went & reset the CD to boot 1st), pulled out his ram modules & replaced them with the ones from my back up drawer of parts. (At all times the Bios has recognized the proper ram count, before & after switching the modules. All 3 slots are populated presently, his 2 original modules, 256mbs each, (now residing in slots 2 & 3), and a 3rd module I had (512mb) installed in slot #1.)
Still can not get to the Setup Recovery Console. He already told me to go ahead & format the HD if necessary, but I can't get to the recovery console at all, to either try a system repair, or do a format. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Mark
the link for the windows set up floppies is available from here: http://www.svrops.com/svrops/dwnlddisk.htm
or direct from Microsoft here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994
I finally figured out who borrowed my XP Pro CDd & got it back, so I was able to get to the recovery console, but couldn't find a cure for the machine's illness. I ended up formatting the HD in preparation of a clean re-install of XP. But of course now I know why I couldn't get to the recovery console using the original XP home CD, it is damaged apparently. Now comes my next problem………. I can locally still buy an XP upgrade program brand new, but don't exactly recall what I had to do to get an upgrade to install on a wiped clean HD. Is it start the upgrade install, then it will ask me to put in an old Windows CD to prove it is an upgrade?
Hi, I'm not quite sure of what's going on here, but hope the following helps.
Incidentally please don't think I am am trying to "talk down" in any way by the following comments ( that would be the last thing I would want to do) as you obviously are experienced in these matters and know your stuff.
1 There is no need to format the disc as a preliminary stage as Windows will be able to do this for you.
2 If you boot from the Genuine Windows installation CD at the Welcome to set up hit Enter
3 Do not hit R for Recovery Console
4 You will see the license agreement, Hit F8 to accept
5 The next screen gives you the chance to do a fresh (clean install) Continue with this
6 Follow onscreen instructions
please note you don't need to buy another edition of Windows XP, as long as you have the original disc and the Product license Key you should be OK.
please post back if I have misunderstood you
Regards
paws
As I understand you have to follow what was called a UPGRADE path.
A upgrade disk when used on a blank drive does ask for a vaild previous version of Windows media. There is a specific file the upgrade disk routine is looking for from the previous version.
So if one is going to XP pro on a blank drive using a UPGRADE disk, you would need a vaild copy of XP home, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows 2000 professional, or Windows NT 4.0 to proceed with the install.
If luck is with you, the file you need is on a portion of your XP HOME cd that isnt damaged and still readable.
Appreciate the responses. I went & bought him a new full version XP disc & installed it. His original Home CD is junk for some reason. I suspect because he transported the non-working tower from several locations over the past several months with the Home CD in the drive (instead of just bringing it to me when it originally took a dump). It now has several "pock" marks in it & numerous scratches. When I originally built that tower for him I told him to put the disk away in a real safe place & safeguard it at all cost. Guess he thought I was joking?? Now he can bite the bullet & pay for a new CD. Install is done, all went well with the new CD. Everyone was helpful & I appreciate the help. I'm glad I found this site though a Google search yesterday & plan on checking in from time to time to see what new happens in the "tweaking" world. Thanks Again!!
Mark
Major Mark, create a backup of the XP CD and use it for any future work. It's perfectly legal. I do this and never use the original except to make a new backup if it gets messed up for some reason.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI