This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Weird Javascript problems since XP updates

18 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Interesting development: During this fiasco, I tweeted DISQUS-Help about my issue, today when I got home from work, they tweeted me that they had fixed the issue and asked if I still had the problem. I checked … the problem is gone … yay! But I have unanswered questions, like why am I getting the same console alerts from sites that have nothing to do with DISQUS? And why did I have the same problem on other sites even if I went to them directly rather than through the DISQUS links? Is it possible this DISQUS site has something on my computer that I'm not aware of? Thought you'd like to know, and I've requested a detailed explanation of the issue … if I get one, I'll pass it on to you. (this isn't over yet) I'll be visiting malware removal just in case as earlier spoken about … I may have to wait till tomorrow … I'm exhausted at the moment. Thanks again for the most professional and rapid response from WhatTheTech … the only site I send my friends to when they have a problem :notworthy:

Is it possible this DISQUS site has something on my computer that I'm not aware of?


Of course it is possible.

How do you suppose DISQUS recognizes you when you visit associated websites, and keeps your replies recorded, and accounts for sites, blogs, and other individuals you may interact with?

You gave DISQUS permission to keep such records at their site, and to place persistent cookies on your machine, mostly in your browser's cache, so that they can recognize you when you login or browse to associated sites, and both they and you can interact with your activity in blogging and responding.
http://help.disqus.com/customer/portal/art…nabling-cookies

It's part of the service they provide.

But cookies are like any other scripting code… they can get messed up and/or might have been written poorly in the first place.

It's even possible that the "solution" DISQUS told you it had accomplished, and the resultant success you experienced was that of re-writing their cookies, and pushing out a fresh batch to your machine.
___________________________

While this is probably not a malware situation, corrupted cookies can appear to behave like malware.

Here's an article from 2005 about persistent cookies.
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/01/how-t…acking-cookies/
Of course, if you followed the suggested course of action included in the article, you would not be able to benefit from your membership with DISQUS until you re-endabled the features and possibly logged in manually to re-set your active participation.

But that was 7 years ago, and cookies of all types have become more sophistocated and resilient.
No guarantee that using those suggestions will be successful in cleaning your machine at this point in evolution of online interactions.
_____________________________

And yes, regardless of where you browse, expect a high level of svchost activity because of:

there are all kinds of cookies and scripts running from both Disqus, partners, and from the hosting site where the comments are being made


Yes, DISQUS will send quiries to determine if a site is compatible with its services and try to connect you if it is, even if it is not.

I imagine you want to continue using DISQUS.
That's your choice, and I must say that the advantages for such activity seem attractive for folks who may be interested in this venue.

I do hope you will post back with additional information you may gain from your research about javascript and persistent cookies, and any more help you may receive from DISQUS directly.

Could be an education for some of us here, and helpful to others of our Members and readers who may have encountered similar difficulties.

Could be an education for some of us here, and helpful to others of our Members and readers who may have encountered similar difficulties.

And some of us are just curious and just want to know! ;)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI