This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Weird Javascript problems since XP updates

18 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

(Please note: I have just enough knowledge to be dangerous, but I really don't understand much of what I'm looking at here) ;) Got 3 XP updates the other day, since then, a few weird problems. I frequent a lot of discussion forums, using DISQUS, in each forum, there are links to how many "likes" or "faves" comments receive, and if you click on the link, a pop-up window displays the avatars and IDs of the people who have logged the faves. Since the last 3 XP updates, I noticed that the links no longer work, but the ones that allow me to fave someone's comment, reply, etc, still work. I've tried IE, Firefox, and Chrome … same thing, and the problem is on all sites, not just the example below. So I began messing around in "inspect element" on Chrome, went to the console and discovered this on my last attempts to use the dead link: * - Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL (comment URL redacted) Domains, protocols and ports must match. * - Uncaught ReferenceError: gettext is not defined telegraphblogs.disqus.com/show_user_votes.js?post_id=736909472&1355553209936:5 * - Uncaught ReferenceError: gettext is not defined telegraphblogs.disqus.com/show_user_votes.js?post_id=736562204&1355553211783:5 * - Uncaught ReferenceError: gettext is not defined telegraphblogs.disqus.com/show_user_votes.js?post_id=736617015&1355553213287:5 * - Uncaught ReferenceError: gettext is not defined telegraphblogs.disqus.com/show_user_votes.js?post_id=736627499&1355553283838:5 (anonymous function) telegraphblogs.disqus.com/show_user_votes.js?post_id=736627499&1355553283838:5 ___________________________________ I've also noticed some other odd things since the updates, like images from one tab remaining in another tab Browsers firefox and chrome freezing and crashing, etc. And my Microsoft Security Essentials program constantly informs me that I need to run a scan (which I've done with no infections, but it keeps alerting me anyway) Is this a Windows issue, or do I belong in malware removal? Any help is much appreciated as usual :)

Is this a Windows issue, or do I belong in malware removal?

If you suspect malware, see and follow these instructions: WhattheTech Malware Removal Help.

If this were me, and I had no other reason to suspect malware (I've kept my system updated and did not participate in risky behavior; illegal filesharing, etc) I would uninstall Java using JavaRA, then reboot and reinstall Java and see what happens.

And while I recommend and use MSE on all my systems, I periodically perform manual, supplemental scanning with Malwarebytes's Anti-Malware (MBAM) and/or SUPERAntiSpyware Free just to be sure nothing got by. In 3 years since migrating to MSE, they have not found anything. That is reassuring, but not enough to stop occasional supplemental scans with an alternative scanner. Trust, but verify applies here.
thanks for your response, Digerati. Yes, everything is up to date No, I don't do anything risky like illegal file sharing or bad websites etc. I also use MBAM and ran a scan the other day which was negative. The problem with MSE that seems to have coincided with this current problem, is that if I run a scan today, the icon turns green, but by tomorrow morning it will be back to yellow with the indication that "I haven't run a scan for a while" … etc. I'm going to try what you suggeted with Java now and then get back to you with the results. What do you think about the MSE hiccup I'm experiencing? This is the first time it's ever acted up on me.

What do you think about the MSE hiccup I'm experiencing? This is the first time it's ever acted up on me.

It is hard to tell. It is good, however, that it does scan. I have had to uninstall and reinstall MSE before due to similar problems. You might try that. Or , this MSE Repair Tool has worked for many.
I ran that SUPERanti-spyware program you suggested first. It came up with WINTOOLS HUNTBAR which I removed. Now I'm trying to uninstall Java with Javara as you suggested, but the program wants me to name the version of Java I want to uninstall. What do I type in the field? Thanks
Hmmm, well you got me. I did not know JavaRa had a new version. I don't like it. It seems poorly designed, and IMO it is stupid to ask which version without at least offering a list of the version it finds. So I recommend you download the "legacy" version1.1.6 as found here.
yes, I gather that it stinks from the JavaRa forum I just looked at and I can't type anything in the field, it's a dropdown selection box with nothing in it! will try your other suggestion now. thanks
ok, I saved legacy version to desktop and launched from there it is offering me these options search for updates remove older versions additional tasks I assume you want me to select "remove older versions"? or have I incorrectly launched this thing?
I removed the logs. They are not of any help here and really clutter up the page. What is important it that it found many older versions. Hopefully now, you will be able to install the latest version.
I'll use CCleaner to remove it since it seems to be a very thorough and aggressive tool Funny thing is, when I go to the reinstall Java link you provided, it says version 7 update 9 Yet when I tested to see what version it says I have, the response was: Congratulations! You have the recommended Java installed (Version 6 Update 37). Anyway … I'll rip it out and install the latest one and then see what happens.
OK, ripped it out successfully … checked, No Java was found on computer Installed from the Java link, now I have version 7 update 9 Went to the links I was having trouble with and they still won't work in any browser, or on any site. Got this from the console in Chrome: Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL (I redacted the URL) - The frame being accessed set 'document.domain' to 'telegraph.co.uk', but the frame requesting access did not. Both must set 'document.domain' to the same value to allow access. Unsafe JavaScript attempt to access frame with URL (I redacted the URL) - Domains, protocols and ports must match. This is the result I'm getting on all sites, not just telegraph.UK It's driving me crazy … there's a lot more info in the console, most of which I don't understand, but every time I try to access one of these links on any site from any browser, I get these "Unsafe Javascript" logs. :pullhair:

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI