Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Java not loading game

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 redrobin

redrobin

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

In Pogo games, I cannot get the game to fully load. I get an error msg box says..unable to connect to server, Pogo may be having sa problem with their servers, choose a different game, return to Pogo.com. When I select the game, the first loading screen appears briefly, then the pogo logo with a green loading bar appears, sometimes the green bar fills in completely, other times shows briefly. Then only the frame window of the game appears, without content. Then after a few seconds get that error msg box, as mentioned. I have worked with pogo forum and tried all suggestions. I currently have an open case# with EA/elctronic arts which owns Pogo. So far they have not been a big help. This is what I have: Windows XP, IE 8, Adobe Flash 11.5.502.110, and Java version 7.9, cookies enabled?=true, I have uninstalled/reinstalled Java, cleared all caches, disabled firewall,antivirus,deep guard (security). I am able to play other Pogo games that load differently....ie..pogo logo with bouncing balls. I believe Pogo has made some updates to Java in their system, but so far not getting any answers one way or another. Is this something I need to fix or change.....or....do they??? Hopefully you may have the answer or clue. Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 Doug

Doug

Retired Administrator -Tech Team

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:15 PM

Welcome to WTT Forums, RedRobin.

Have you read the information and suggestions at this sight?
http://www.windowsan...ticles/fix-pogo

Please be cautious with the later recommended steps.
It is important to make a backup copy of the machine's Registry before starting to make changes in the Registry.

Best Regards
The help you receive here is free.
If you wish, you may Donate to help keep us online.

#3 redrobin

redrobin

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:24 AM

Thank you for your prompt response. The link you provided was very informative overall. I had done about everything on the list...ie.. verified latest version of Java, Java scripting enabled, updated to Windows 8, cleared all caches. The only thing I did different was to uninstall Java through the Add/Remove programs feature, then reinstalled through Java web site. How does my using the add/remove differ from the instruction in the link to ..start, run dialog box...rund1132advpack...etc And what is the concern about the registry and making a back up copy. Also, if I did do that last process, and the games still are a problem.....then what do I need to do (if anything) with my back up registry? I'm not real tech savvy on a lot of this stuff......so,please keep it real simple..thank you again

#4 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

The author of the educational piece to which I provided a link appears to be trying to assure that every necessary step is taken "manually" to uninstall JAVA, in lieu of using the Microsoft utility Add/Remove. By using Control Panel - Add/Remove you accomplished the same function but just didn't see the steps laid out manually since the Microsoft utility for Add/Remove performs the needed steps "behind the scenes". Making a Registry Backup before executing changes in the Registry via Regedit, is an insurance policy. The average user of Windows is not likely to be familiar with the Registry, which can appear complicated because, well... it is complicated due to the extensive details that are cataloged in the Registry settings. The Backup can be used to restore the Registry to its prior condition, if it becomes evident that some unwelcome change has occured as a result of Registry Editing which the user may have attempted. If there is no new unwanted change of performance, and the desired change has occured as a result of the Registry Edit, then the Backup remains just a backup and won't be used. It is kinda like keeping your homeowner's, or automobile insurance up to date. You don't really expect or even want to use it. But it is a good thing to have available and up to date in case need does occur. As to Next Steps... ** You "might" be able to interact with the Pogo website when using Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) I really don't know, but it would be safe to try. Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Internet Explorer (No Add-ons) Now browse to your game site. Let us know if you are able to accesss your usual and expected activities there. ____________ ***You might have various "add-ons" associated with your IE browser, which could be interferring. "In General"... Microsoft published add-ons -- should be OK Oracle JAVA™ plug-in SSV -- should be OK Adobe Shockwave Flash Object -- should b OK Any others, particularly add-ons designed to block cookies or scripts -- might be interferring ** Have a look in Internet Explorer 8 - Tools - Manage Add-ons. Let us know what you find.

#5 redrobin

redrobin

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

Hello, and again thank you for your time,

Checked IE 8 Tools, Manage Add-ons..and found:

Adobe Shockwave Flash Object (enabled)
Adobe PDF Link Helper (enabled)

Sun Java™ Plug-ins SSV Helper (enabled)
Java™ Plug-ins 2 SSV Helper (enabled)
JQSIEstartdetectorImpl Class (disabled)

From 'start' went to IE (no add ons), and found:

Signed into Pogo, selected game, got a pop-up window that said.....oops Flash Plug-in Warning....you don't have Flash Player
installed (or) Flash Plug-in is disabled on your browser. To Fix problem, game requires the Flash Plug-in.
Then it provided a link to 'download the latest Flash Player now'.

FYI, the other day I did add/remove for Java 7.9 and reinstalled with Java 6.37.....tried the problem games, problem remained.
Although it's interesting that I was able to load/play one game that loads with the pogo-logo/green bar...but not others> Hmmm

#6 redrobin

redrobin

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 03:26 AM

Hello again... Haven't heard anything more from you...have you given up on my problem?? Hope not.... :) After all this checking, etc... have no problem in with playing the Java based games....just the Flash based games at pogo. I have uninstalled/reinstalled Adobe Flash and I wonder if there are some remnants of it floating around in my pc somewhere. Here's what's baffling: (so sorry to repeat stuff) 1) a friend has same windows xp, ie 8, current adobe/java versions, different security...she has no problem. 2) my laptop has same security as my pc, only other differences is it has Windows 7, ie 9, older versions of adobe/java. ** I can play all pogo games ok on it. 3) If I could, I would try to upgrade my PC from XP to Windows 7, but its not available since Windows 8 was rolled out. And I'm not sure if going to Windows 8 would solve the problem. I have no way of knowing, and dealing with Microsoft is not an easy task. So do you have any other suggestions? Thank you again

#7 Doug

Doug

• Tech Team
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:53 AM

Hi redrobin,

Because you indicate that the machine is not having difficulty with JAVA based web activity, but is persistently having difficulty with Flash based web activity, I'd first suggest that you completely uninstall Abobe Flash in all of its renderings, before freshly downloading and installing Flash Player for the browser you prefer.

To completely uninstall Shockwave Flash Player, use the Adobe uninstall utility here:
http://helpx.adobe.c...er-windows.html

Be sure to read the entire instructions and close all the browser/messenger type programs which could be using Shockwave/Flash Player.

Next, download and install a fresh copy of Shockwave/Flash Player
http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

*** Note: the above linked download and installation source does contain an unnecessary bundled component of Chrome and Google Toolbar.
It is strongly recommended that you remove the checkmark/tick from the bundled selection so that you do not install these two items.

Let us know if your freshened installation of Flash Player makes any improvement for the machine's functionality.

Best Regards