This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Mouse froze while reinstallation of Windows7

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have Dell Inspiron 580 Desk Top with Windows 7 Home Basic. For about 2 years it ran well. Al of a sudden it started showing "Windows Explorer not respondïng". So I tried to reinstall the Windows 7 from a disk provided by Dell. It went to first screen asking Country or Region - India, Time & Currency :- English (India), Keyboard Layout - US. At this window my mouse was frozen, if I hit Enter Kay it does not work. At the start up other than F2 key no other keys like F8, F10 or F12 works. I waited for about 15 minutes on this window still nothing happens. Noe when I start the computer only this first screen shows up. I cannot proceed. Kindly help me.
Hi pck, and welcome to the WTT forums, Sorry to hear of the problems with your computer. It is possible that your hard drive may have failed but before we check this..here are some suggestions that you may like to consider: 1 Close down your computer by holding on the power on button for 30 seconds (not a second less!) and then pull out the connection to your mains wiring so there is no physical connection between your computer and the local electricity suppy or UPS if you use one 2 Disconnect any cables from your computer apart from: cable from VDU (screen) to computer Cable from mouse to computer (do not use wireless mouse at the moment if you have one only use a wired mouse) Cable from Keyboard to computer (do not use wirless keyboard at the moment if you have one, only use a wired keyboard) 3 Make sure your printer scanner or any other peripheral devices are removed 4 Remove any USB devices (memory sticks phones etc 5 Empty the CD/DVD drawer etc. 6 Remove the Ethernet cable from your computer 7 Now wait 5 minutes by the clock not a second earlier) 8 reconnect your mains electricity supply cable to your computer?UPS as you normally do. 9 Wait 30 seconds 10 Now try to start your computer in the normal way (just one (2 second) push on the "power on" button) Let us know if anything changes. Regardfs paws
Dear Paws, Thank you very much for your immediate reply. I did as per your instructions and switched off the computer and restarted. Still it isthe same. It says resuming windows and then same screen shows up. Actually I was trying to restore the computer to it's original factory settings. On the screen it says:- ———————————————- Windows 7 Home Basic Country region:- India Time & Currency:- English (India) Keyboard Layout:- US Next —————————————— Here my mouse is frozen, and even if I hit Enter key or Ctr N or tab key nothing happens. I have Windows7 reinstallation disc which I put into CD drive. Still it shows the same screen. I have discs supplied by Dell of Drivers& Utilities, Drivers & Documentation and Application (for reinstalling CyberLink "Power DVD" 9.5 software. I also tried to put each CD in the CD Drive but still it is the same. May be just mouse or Key board if starts working I will be able to reinstall Windows7 again. Can you give me some solution ? Thanks again. Prakash
I don't know what is PS2, but I am using USB mouse. There are 6 slots in my computer where this mouse can be plugged in. I tried all. Every time I changed the slot I switced off and then on the computer.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI