Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

zoom% to font size conversion

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 theo523

theo523

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

I was reading an article about how to avoid eye strains when using a computer. One of the suggestion they gave was that the screen font size should be three times the smallest size you can read from your normal viewing position.

Internet Explorer offers a zooming feature when viewing webpages. The options they give are in percentages. How do you figure out the corresponding conversion of the percentages to font size?

screenshot of IE zooming options of IE9, the version I'm currently using:

IE zooming options

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 02:15 PM

Hi theo523, and welcome to the WTT forums, There is another way of dealing with this that might be useful to you (assuming that you have a mouse that has a scroll wheel on it) as using the percentages in Zoom can sometimes be a bit tricky.... so try this: 1 Open a web page with Internet Explorer, preferably one with a lot of text and stuff on it.... 2 Hold down the Ctrl key on your keyboard (its often on the bottom row towards the left hand side) and whilst still holding it down move the scroll wheel on your mouse, forward (away from you) ...watch what happens to the writing on your screen. If you want to make the size smaller then just move the scroll wheel on your mouse backwards (towards you) whilst at the same time holding down the Ctrl key on the keyboard. Let us know if this tip is helpful Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#3 theo523

theo523

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

Thanks for the tip, but I'm really looking to find the conversion. I've got the formula down, and now I need to know the font size the precentages start from.

#4 paws

paws

Tech Team

• Administrator
  • 6,088 posts

Posted 08 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Ok I understand. This may help.... there are 72 points to the inch.... measurements are made from the top of the ascenders to the foot of the descenders. There is no direct relationship between percentages and font sizes in the particular connection concerned ( there are too many variables..E.G. your VDU size, VDU resolution etc... It's often easier to set the VDU up (as to resolution, Icon size etc.,) and the set the Zoom to a comfortable level for the work you are doing at your location. Regards paws
The help you receive here is free. If you wish to show your appreciation, then you may donate to help keep us online. http://www.whatthetech.com/donate

#5 Lee

Lee

Occasional Tech

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:45 AM

I was reading an article about how to avoid eye strains when using a computer. One of the suggestion they gave was that the screen font size should be three times the smallest size you can read from your normal viewing position.

Font size is only one aspect that can contribute to computer eye strain. Ambient lighting, glare, screen type and quality, glasses (AV anti-refective coated or not?), screen colour temp. and brightness etc, etc. all have a lot to do with eye strain. See here for further info.

Cheers,
Lee

The free advice, opinions and sentiments expressed here are mine only, so you can safely assume I have no software or OS company patrons or any other benefactors when I post in this forum.