This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Which device should I get

28 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

D-link and Linksys are both made by Cisco


I've had two D-link router/modems die on me within 4yrs and have never looked back since making my third a Linksys. Yet they are made by the same company (?)
lots of computer hardware are made by one company but re-badged for sale under different names, and like most things if there were faults in the early design/components used they get fixed/upgraded over time. linksys had a really bad rep a few years ago too if i remember correctly. ;) :popcorn:
As you all know… I'm no tech. But I've dealt with a few routers. The only one out of maybe a dozen I've dealt with in the last 6 or 7 years, that failed, was a D-Link. What failed was the power supply. It was at my sisters home and I think a wire was probably broken by one of her kids moving stuff around. She replaced it… I took the "dead" box. I picked up a used power supply at salvation army store for $2.00. It's currently working fine in my office. :)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T9RR6…;pf_rd_i=507846
lots of computer hardware are made by one company but re-badged for sale under different names, and like most things if there were faults in the early design/components used they get fixed/upgraded over time.



linksys had a really bad rep a few years ago too if i remember correctly. ;)

How about this one for a router? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T9RR6…;pf_rd_i=507846

It doesn't have to be a linskleys, but it can't be too expensive either.

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-Tablet-…eywords=nexus+7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O8F9J…;pf_rd_i=507846


Here are the two urls, hope they help. For some reason they wouldn't copy for me last night.


both those are the same device just being sold at different prices, i suggest using the walmart link in an earlier post because it's $199.99 at that one where as both those amazon links are $225 or over.

How about this one for a router? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T9RR6…;pf_rd_i=507846

It doesn't have to be a linskleys, but it can't be too expensive either.

yes that router is fine.

:popcorn:
walmart won't do online, I called them and amazon will. I am not going to stand in the cold for 6 hours. I don' know why Walmart even advertises. Thanks for the info on the linkskeys

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-Tablet-…eywords=nexus+7

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008O8F9J…;pf_rd_i=507846


Here are the two urls, hope they help. For some reason they wouldn't copy for me last night.


both those are the same device just being sold at different prices, i suggest using the walmart link in an earlier post because it's $199.99 at that one where as both those amazon links are $225 or over.

How about this one for a router? http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004T9RR6…;pf_rd_i=507846

It doesn't have to be a linskleys, but it can't be too expensive either.

yes that router is fine.

:popcorn:



It won't let me get back to that amazon page and now I don't know which one it wasl. I have so many bookmarked.
Nope, still won't. All this over a stupid router. But we did have trouble with the linkskeys many years ago screwing up and slowing up my computer. But computers and routers have become so much more since then. I don't want one to slow down my computer, so what would you suggest.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI