I hope this is where I put this it seemed like the most suitable board.
I want to buy a new computer. Basically I need something that I can use for the internet and that is really good for my psp program. The kids will not have their games on this one.
I need to get the monitor, keyboard, speakers,tower etc and with taxes it has to come to about $900 at the most.
So I would love some brand name suggestions of computers that will be good for that amount.
Well… I'd say your on the track. I assume psp is paint shop pro..? If media is going to be the main use of the comp, then you need to focus on storage (as I am sure you probably know). In my opinion your best bet is to build the computer yourself. That may sound a little overwhelming but its not.. everything is plug & play.. and for what it costs to buy one built, you can build it yourself and either save the extra money or spend it as planned and have a "beefier" comp. For the money, AMD is probably your best bet for CPU (although I prefer Intel). Personally..I run a 2.0ghz Celeron (Intel) in mine which the CPU cost 100 bux but the Celeron is geared more towards the "Office" users and not video/media purposes. For video.. I would go as high-end as you can being that media sounds like is what your mainly going to be using comp for. nVidia, ATI are the top to ( I prefer nVidia and would reccomend it with atleast 128mb on board memory) The monitor.. now… you'll probably get a bunch of theories on this, but you will never get a clearer picture/better picture then you will with a CRT (tube monitor) and thats fact. Flat screens are kewl..they even have flat screen's that are CRT's but the LCD displays are highly over-rated. Next would be ram.. I would go with nothing less than 512mb ..Corsair I believe is top of the line in ram… oh least I forget.. the power supply.. make sure that you buy ATLEAST 300watts (and I recomend 500 watts). What some users look at is the minimum required.. that can/will cause problems down there road. As far as a name brand of power supply.. geeesh.. right off hand I cant think of any that better/worse than the next. The hard drive… well.. I like Maxtor..and like i said previously size makes a difference there because pictures and the like take up much room.
Hope that helps some
then pick out a few, go to there web sites, check them out, besure to read there return,warrenty policy etc.
i have bought many parts from mwave.com, with only a dead SDRAM module that i returned for credit..
if you buy a namebrand, make sure it has a separate video card and not "on board" video and 256k minimum of RAM. if you have broadband on board LAN is fine as well as a mainboard that has on board sound, unless you are really into audio output.
Do you think you might be interested in putting your computer together? You can save some money, and as long as you have a decent knowledge of computers, it can be done. I did