This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Mozilla crash

10 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi I run mozilla firefox and I have been having problems with it crashing and my computer being slow and freezing.I have been working with jeff from virus removal and have a topic stared there under crashes.Have done a bunch of things and still have problems.I might have a software or other problem other than viruses.Can someone help please……………….Mike
For a sluggish computer this is a good place to start -

1) Clean out your Temp files.

Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup
This will bring up the Disk Cleanup window.
Check the following entries.
Temporary Internet Files.
Recycle Bin.
Temporary Files.
Click OK.
When prompted whether you're sure you want to do this click Yes.

2) Defrag. your computer.

3) Run this simple utility that will help you get control of programs and processes that you wish to have running active or not.

CodeStuff-Starters

Download and install, agreeing to the licensing terms and allow to install with all of the default settings as preselected in the installation wizard.

When you finally allow CodeStuff-Starters to run
It will preselect StartUps Tab -
Click on File
Select - save as .Plain Text (name the report file - Startups Oct. txt)

In your next reply, post the file as an attached file (use browse and upload buttons – at the bottom-right corner of your topic posting window where you are typing your next reply).

Please do not make any changes with Code-Stuff Starters, until after you post the requested information above and receive recommendations from a helper here.

Save the Report to your Desktop and when replying, use the 'Add Reply' option, not the 'Fast Reply', otherwise you have no access to the 'Upload' button.

See how you go with those three tasks and if things haven't improved, we will look at what is running on your PC using "Pitstop".

Cheers,
Lee
Hi….I did the first thing you asked and then tried to defragment my drive and there seems to be a problem.The message I got said that I dont have enough space to do it.You nee at least 15 per cent free space and I have none.Name,Value,Section,Enabled,Description,Company "DWQueuedReporting",""c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t","Registry - Def User Run","1","Watson Subscriber for SENS Network Notifications","Microsoft Corporation" "FlashPlayerUpdate","C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10w_Plugin.exe -update plugin","Registry - User RunOnce","1","Adobe® Flash® Player Installer/Uninstaller 10.3 r183 (Flash® Player Installer/Uninstaller)","Adobe Systems, Inc." "MSC",""c:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey","Registry - Machine Run","1","Microsoft Security Client User Interface (Microsoft Security Client)","Microsoft Corporation" "TkBellExe",""C:\program files\real\realplayer\update\realsched.exe" -osboot","Registry - Machine Run","1","RealNetworks Scheduler (RealPlayer (32-bit) )","RealNetworks, Inc."
To defrag a HDD you need some free GB space.

No wonder you PC is struggling as it has to have room to move files around.

An initial quick fix (hopefully) -

Go to Start / Control panel / System / System Restore tab / settings tab / highlight C: drive and move slider down until it is showing about 750Mb / OK / Apply / OK / now reboot.

If your system restore was set to the default setting, you should have freed up several GB of space. Try to Defrag. again please and if successful download and run "CodeStuff-Starters" and post the results here as described.

Even if we remove startup items (will improve start-up time) you still have a space problem that needs addressing by removing some of your programs or personal data to disk or a USB drive. How large is your HDD and how much space is personal data taking up?

Cheers,
Lee
I tried what you said and it didnt free up space.I ran the scan and posted the results I think I still have those start up progams on the starter scan.Should I delete them?
Here's a link to the topic in the virus and spyware removal forum so that members and technicians can see what has been going on.
http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?sh…20591&st=30

1 The logs indicate a very small hard drive 30 or so Gb and with practically no free space (0.4Gb)

2 This computer cannot be made to run satisfactorily when there is practically no free space …… Windows need free space to operate satisfactorily and you dont have enough on your hard drive.

3 You should try to achive a free space of at least 15% and preferably 20% ……

4 you can uninstall unnecessary programs,

5 perform a disc clean up

6 move data files to an external hard drive,

7 There is no improvement that is likely to occur without sufficient free disc space being achieved.

8 Before you take any further action be sure to check that your back up/copy/archive of everything that is important to you on your machine is 100% up to date accurate and with at least one copy kept safe offsite on removable media.

9 Make sure that your back up contains everything that you don't want to lose…not just your docs emails, address books, music, videos etc but also everything else, user names ,passwords, downloaded executable files, product licence/seria;l keys (including the one for Windows) and also get together your Windows installation discs, application discs and driver discs, and keep them somewhere safe and handy.
Regards
paws

I still have those start up progams on the starter scan.Should I delete them?

Don't remove any start-up programs at this time.

Reducing System Restore storage space on a 40GB HDD would have done very little as the default setting is 12%. On a much larger HDD it would have made a significant difference.

For the moment, please back-up all personal data as advised by Paws and then remove programs you are not using or rarely use that you can do without..

Apart from removing unnecessary programs, If you have personal Data that you can remove to disk or a USB drive, that will also help free up HDD space.


Cheers,
Lee
Hi guys I really appreciate the help.I was looking at add remove programs and I have alot of security updates from internet explorer and windows updates that I dont know if I can delete them or have to keep them other than them I really dont know what I can delete.I know my daughter has some music on here.Is there anyway someone can tell me what I can delete and what I cant?Is it better for me to get another drive or just get a new computer? Thanks guys ….Mike
My personal opinion and I'm not a tech guy like the guys who run this AWESOME forum, but if I where sharing a PC with a daughter/teenager. I would opt for the better computer and a strong password :thumbup: I know I did there is no way you can keep up with everything that she can be downloading like music, pictures, movies. No telling how much space she has used up.
Yeah, buy yourself that new PC Terry recommended and let your daughter have the old one :lol: PS. Don't remove any Widows updates or hot fixes from your current PC. Don't try and remove anything that says Microsoft or Windows! Cheers, Lee
Hi steelie18, Before you start spending money……. Try the steps 4,5, and 6 as set out in my post ( number 6 in the topic)….. it may take you a while but its not going to cost you money! Try to get back to at least 15% free disc space…thats around 5 or 6 Gb….moving data files to an external hard drive or a memory stick (or two!) would be a good move to help out. Regards paws
Thanks paws but i really dont know what I can delete or not.I asked if the security updates can be deleted or the IE updates.Dont have a clue as to what kind of files to move on memory stick either.I have basic knowledge on what and how stuff works.I can take computer apart and put more ram or stuff like that but when it comes to files and that sort of stuff I am clueless………….Sorry Mike
To help you decide what you can safely remove, here is an easy way.

PC Pitstop's 'OVERDRIVE'
Running this test on their site will tell us what programs etc. are on your PC.

Close all other Browser tabs and any other programs that are open (except security)..
Use Internet Explorer and go to http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/

1) Click on Create free Account.
2) Login and accept active-x
3) Run PCPitstop Overdrive
4) After the results are shown, copy the URL address at the top of the test's page.
5) Post that URL link in your next post here.

Caution: During the testing of Video Adapter, a variety of patterns, shapes, colors and text are “flashed” onto the users monitor screen. In the many thousands of daily uses of the PCPitstop Full Tests over several years, two individuals who suffer epilepsy experienced discomfort and temporary dizziness when viewing the flashing patterns.
If you know that you are susceptible to photo driven seizure, please look away from your screen during the Video Adapter testing sequence.

Note: The PCPitstop Full Tests Results is a free service, but is supported by various paid products that we do not necessarily endorse.

Cheers,
Lee
Hi Lee I hope this is right I didnt see any url so I copied the resultsJunk Files Old Patch Uninstallers 1,098.95 MB 50 MB Internet HTTP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized Internet TCP Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized Internet dns_settings Unoptimized Optimized Internet afd_settings Unoptimized Optimized Internet Firefox Internet Settings Unoptimized Optimized Disk Most Fragmented Files 4772 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 4442 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 2243 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 2157 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 1952 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 1592 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 1383 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 1362 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 1193 frags 500 frags Disk Most Fragmented Files 1109 frags 500 frags Disk File Fragmentation 49.02% 10% Disk Data Fragmentation 49.14% 10% Other Drivers Intel® 82845G / GL / GE / PE / GV Graphics Controller 6.13.10.3510 4/15/2003 Intel® 82845G / GL / GE / PE / GV Graphics Controller 6.14.10.4342 6/21/2005 Other Drivers Conexant SmartHSFi V92 56K DF PCI Modem 5.03.29.01 10/9/2002 Conexant SmartHSFi V92 56K DF PCI Modem 7.06.00.50 1/7/2004 Other Services Test Automatic Other Services Test Automatic Internet Firefox Password Security Enabled Disabled Memory Utilization Free Memory % 13% > 20% Memory Utilization Free Memory 133.12 MB 200 MB Disk Free Space 0.09 GB (0.23%) 25% Advice Visual Effects Test Sub Optimal Optimal Advice CPU Load Test 39% < 25% System Specs Windows Version Windows XP Home SP3 Upgrade to Windows 7. Disk Free Space 0.23% 25% Advice Adobe Reader Advice Spelling Dictionaries Support For Adobe Reader 8 Replace Adobe Reader Advice Adobe Reader Advice Adobe Reader X (10.1.1) Replace Adobe

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI