Hello, my Sony Vaio laptop is about 1-1/2 years old. I experienced loud fan noise a few months after I bought it; Sony sent a tech out who couldn't figure out the problem, recommended I send it to the factory which I did. They replaced the hard drive and the problem was resolved… until now. I'm going crazy. The fan is constantly running and is fairly loud. I have the computer on a hard surface, it is well ventilated. I have to put it on hibernate every time I step away because it is so loud.
you should replace it to get rid from this problem or you can give it tech team to solve your problem. if they can not solve your problem than you should change your cooling fan. i think that your laptop is too old as you said, so better you change it & buy new one.
That doesn't sound good, I take it that your now out of any warranty\cover period ?
Assuming that it the case, the first question has to be can you remember if it's the same noise, or is it a bit different ?
I ask as you said first time they swapped out the hard drive, so if it's the same noise again it wouldn't be unfair to think the drive may be about to fail, and as this is a possibility at this stage, I seriously recommend making sure you back up ALL the files\data you can't afford to lose straight away, at least this way you won't lose anything you can't afford to, it's also wise to keep regular back up's because you never know when something can cause a total loss of data.
Now following on the hard drive route given past history, you need to identify the make of the drive, then get that drive makers utility and run a scan of the drive, this will usually pick up signs of imminent failure, then it's simply a case of replacing the hard drive, which on most laptops isn't that hard, although there are a few that make it impossible, but luckily most have a flap on the underside for easy access, but next comes the question have you got a disk, or created recovery disks of the system ?
Should a new drive be needed then you need to install to the new drive, ideally a straight cloning of the current drive is the best result, but lets see whats going on first.
This doesn't mean it is the issue, it may well be a fan, but as there are no tests for these, the only way to check is to strip the system down to access them, then check them out one at a time, this is above most peoples skill, or comfort level, then it is best to take it to a competent repair place, but try and research where you go first, there are plenty out there happy to take peoples money in return for sloppy\incompetent work, so word of mouth is worth it's weight in gold with repair places, but lets check out what can be done before going down that road.
So if you know how to find out your hard drive make let us know and we can guide you to it's utility, if not we can guide how to find the info required, then we can go from there.
*edit
Typo