This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows randomly shuts down

3 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi, I have a Dell Inspiron 560 Desktop, running Windows 7(64-bit) Home premium, SP1, fully updated by Microsoft Update. Intel Penthium, 3 GB of Ram. I don't know any other hardware specefications, it isn't my computer, just trying to help a friend. The issue is that overnight, randomly, the computer will reboot improperly, losing anything in progress on that machine, and displaying the error message of windows was not shut down properly. I get the following message when I look up the shutdown in the eventlog: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa80052b7060, 0xfffff80000b9c4d8, 0xfffffa8002593c60). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 102612-11996-01. The other error reports that are related, just say shutdown at such and such time was unexpected. I have already done a selective start up and disabled all non necessary start up items, still randomly shuts down. The most frustrating part is that the shut downs are intermittent.(I know, your favorite word right?). I can't get the system to do it on purpose, it just randomly happens. I can't test the CPU without a good reason, and the events are random, and not occuring more frequently than when they started. Believing it wasn't hardware related (could be wrong) I started the standard procedure of checking for virus'. Nothing, on several different scans, including HJT, housecall, GMER,SpyBot, and Avast. GMER is included because another of my friends computer's recently had a rootkit installed on it. No virus detected, including the bootime deep scan by avast. So, long story short, I have no idea what's happening, why it's happening, or how to fix it. Hopefully one of you can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. If you need any other info, just let me know please. Thank you, Deltachange
Please check \Windows\Minidump and see if there are any .dmp files there.If so zip up the last 5 then upload and attach them to your next reply here.

Use the Browse and Upload buttons below the text input area to do this.

This is most likely a driver issue going into or coming out of sleep mode.

One way to fix this is to disable Sleep and Hibernate and use the Control Power settings to handle turning off the display and hard drive.
Thank you for the fast response, As a warning, I only have limited access to this computer, on Tuesdays and Thursdays, so if you ask me to complete steps, it may be a few days, I have not given up on the issue. Attached is a zip folder with the five newest .dmp files. Thank you again, Delta
They are all from usbhub.sys. Saya a Device has been blocking an IRP for to long. My guess is USB is going into t low power state overnight which is causing the problem. Look at Control Panel, Power Options and look at the details and Advanced setting for the plan in use. Turn of low power or power saving mode for USB and see if that helps.
Okay, I believe it may be the postage meter attached to the computer, I have disabled the power saving features of USB, I will let you know if it worked. Thank you for your time and help.
Very nicely done!

Pitney Bowes meter driver Confirmed by the !irp command as the driver at fault = DM150Drv.sys - July 2010 version

http://sysnative.com/drivers/driver.php?id=DM150Drv.sys



0: kd> !irp fffffa80032846d0
Irp is active with 8 stacks 7 is current (= 0xfffffa8003284950)
 No Mdl: No System Buffer: Thread 00000000:  Irp stack trace.  
	 cmd  flg cl Device   File	 Completion-Context
  

			Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
>[ 16, 3]   0 e1 fffffa8005679060 00000000 fffff80002c77b40-fffffa8006a4b810 Success Error Cancel pending
		  Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\DM150Drv.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for DM150Drv.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for DM150Drv.sys
 \Driver\DM150Drv	nt!IopUnloadSafeCompletion
			Args: 00015400 00000001 00000004 00000003
 [  0, 0]   0  0 00000000 00000000 00000000-fffffa8003275730	

			Args: 00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI