This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

crashing problems

11 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

So recently in the past 4 days or so my computer has been crashing almost every time I open it. I would have to restart after the crash to work on my stuff. sometimes there are multiple crashes and require multiple restarts. Sometimes it takes me to the BSOD and sometimes the screen turns black and nothing happens. when it took me to the blue screen of death it said stop:0x0000000A(0x80000078, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x823C9FF9) There has been other error codes, but I forgot to write them down, sorry. I have windows vista home premium. Usually it crashes several minutes after i turn it on. the weird thing is that after it crashes, it doesn't crash again in that day, if you don't turn the comp off and turn it back on. Here are the specs of my computer http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen…539&lang=en

I have not stalled anything new recently. i have scanned my computer for viruses and malware using avast and spybot S&D. I have tried using the memory diagnostic tool and the test passed. Please reply with any info that might help. Thanks for you help. :wavey:
Usually, from my experience using a laptop running Vista, this error code can be caused by using sleep cycles. Seems like a sleep mode problem or a hal.dll problem. Either one can be fixed the same way. HERE IS WHY: 0x0000000A – HAL.dll issue (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL) is hardware abstraction layer, which is part of your boot config. Also, addresses a memory issue. 0x80000078 – usually is affected by a memory issue. Which may signify sleep mode cycling is overused. In other words, sleep mode is used often. 0x00000002 – Specifies how to tell you about the error(s). 0x00000001 – Memory read issue. 0x823C9FF9 – Specific error message, signifying this is a software issue, not a hardware issue. FIX You can download a diagnostic utility from the manufacturer and use it to check the state of the drive. BIOS timings should be set to defaults.
Hi Wooman and welcome to WhatTheTech.

The link to your product specifications isn't real clear on your specific laptop.

Are you running a 64-bit or a 32-bit operating version of Windows Vista?

How to determine whether a 32-bit or 64-bit Windows operating system is installed.
okay, sorry if there was any confusion, it's a desktop and not a laptop, although it has a wireless network adapter built in. I have a 32-bit operating system. @dragonmaster, I don't sleep my computer much at all. Also, where can I get the diagnostic utility. Is it the same as the memory diagnostic tool, becausee i already ran that. Also ppl on another forum told me to run memtest86+ and it also passed with no errors detected. Thanks for helping.
Alright, I followed the instructions of the first link and I ran basically all the tests. They all passed with no errors. The second link doesn't really apply to me because my computer isn't locking up or not responding. The third link deals with restarting unexpectedly, which isn't the case. My computer is just crashing to either the BSOD or it just turns to a black screen. Thanks
Hi Wooman… Can you please attach a few of your minidumps for me to take a look at. They might reveal what specific driver, or hardware is causing your issue. The files will be located under C:\windows\minidump. I would like for you to locate the 3 or 4 most recent dumps. They are named by the date they were created (i.e. minixxxxxx-xx.dmp). Select those files by holding down the ctrl key and clicking each one so that all 3 or 4 are selected. Right-click them and click send to -> compressed zip folder. This may be worded a little different in Vista. A new file with a .zip file extension will be created in the minidump folder and I need that file uploaded as attachment to the forum. How old is your machine wooman? You may be having heat issues. You might want to remove the side cover of the computer and inspect all the fans to make sure they are functioning, and make sure that there is not an excessive amount of dust/fuzz blocking cooling fins and vents. Compressed air, although sometimes messy, can clear out any dust issues. If the computer is located in an enclosed location such as in a cubby hole of a computer desk, try to get more airflow to it with a small fan to see if it will eliminate your BSoD problem.
Thank you. Although you could have a hardware issue, it seems you have a system file mismatch. Have you had any malware or serious computer infections in the past? Have you ever had to reinstall your operating system? How long has this error occurred? Answer those few questions and I will do some research. ;)
Nope, no serious mal ware or virus that I know of. I update everything and scan my computer regualarly. i currently use avast and Spybot S&D. Never had to reinstall operating system. This error has been happening for about 5 days now. it didn't crash today! (knock on wood) I really appreciate your effort. Thanks
my machine isn't that old maybe about 1.5years. Yep all the fans are functioning. I recently just cleaned the dust so that shouldn't be the problem. here are the 5 newest minidump files( only one is in 2009, don't know why)

BugCheck 100000B8, {89c21170, 88ff5828, 89c0e000, 0}
Probably caused by : HSX_CNXT.sys ( HSX_CNXT+2fef8 )

The problem is caused by your Conexant modem driver. (HSX_CNXT.SYS)

Here's a link to someone with a similiar problem as yours: http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=963424

Lets follow the same advice as post #6 in the above thread.

Right click my computer in your start menu -> click manage. When the "Computer Management" console opens, there should be "Device Manager" listed under System Tools. Click "Device Manager" to open the device manager in the right pane. Scroll down and expand modems. Look for your conexant 56k modem, and double-click it. Click the "drivers" tab and see if there is a rollback option.

It is very possible you were visiting the windows update website and installed a driver update that subsequently broke your computer.

Here is more information all about your problem from other people: http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=…kgs=1&kls=0

It appears your system may auto update back to the newer driver and cause problems again.

It appears your system may auto update back to the newer driver and cause problems again.


To prevent this, change your Automatic Update setting to Notify me but don't automatically download or install them

Then if/when MS tries to send it to you again, uncheck it and tell update not to show it to you any more.
Okay in the last 2 days it hasn't crashed yet. could it be that there was another update that fixed it? Should I still roll back or keep it?

here are the 5 newest minidump files( only one is in 2009, don't know why)



:smack: Shame on me.. I was in a hurry earlier today and quickly grabbed your minidumps. I saw the quick comment about only one being in 2009, but I mis read it for something different. I looked at your minidumps again, and I realize that I analyzed the ones from april of last year thinking they were from april of this year. The only one in this year is unrelated to the other errors and not related to your modem driver. It is a more generic error and signifies more of a hardware problem.

Can you verify that there are no other minidumps for 2009 in there? If you see a Blue Screen of Death a minidump should be created each time. For occasions where the screen just goes black it is probably not creating a minidump.

I'm concerned this is more of a hardware issue now as I re-read your original post. Possibly a bad connection seems how the machine crashes a few minutes after it is turned on and then does not do it anymore. Let me explain why. When you first turn the computer on after it has cooled down, the system begins to heat up. This cause metal contacts in the computer to begin to expand and will cause problems if there are loose connections. After the machine is hot and running that expansion stabilizes and there is no more "loose connection" problem. Just a guess, but it sounds logical. :)

Please verify there are no other minidumps for 2009. Each minidump is associated with a blue screen of death. So, they should have a date and time stamp of each occurence of your blue screen you mentioned.

Next, it sounds as if you are talented enough to get into your computer and clean it out. Thats good. I don't have time at the moment to look at the specs on your computer again (and I'm not sure the information would be there). Do you know if you have an onboard video card, or an add-on video card? An add-on video card plugs into the motherboard, where an on-board video card is part of the motherboard. If you have an add-on video card, it would correspond better with your blank screen problem possibly. Maybe the video card has a bad connection where it plugs into the motherboard. Memory is also another candidate.

You should perform a surface scan on your hard drive to be sure that it isn't having any problems. CLick start -> programs -> accessories -> right-click command prompt, click "Run As Administrator." When you are at the command prompt, type chkdsk /r and press ENTER. Answer yes to schedule a scan during your next reboot. After doing this, reboot your computer and be patient while the chkdsk scans your hard drive for file system and physical problems. Pay attention to any messages about bad clusters.

Get back with me on any new information you have about the frequency of your problem, and any other blue screen information you may have.

Ignore the modem driver suggestion, because that was a problem back in April of 2008. I apologize for not paying closer attention. I assumed it was april 2009.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI