Hello,
I am experiencing random system crashes on my Dell Studio laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, SP1. OS is current with all MS updates. My laptop basically crashes without warning and shuts down. No error messages prior to the crash, just shuts down and I have to reboot. I have not been able to isolate any specific conditions (i.e. programs, events, conflicts or hardware) running when this occurs. It just happened moments ago and I noted the time so perhaps I can share event logs that might mean something to a technical resource? In the past I have looked at event logs and tried to research the error messages, but found the error messages were to vague to provide anything specififc. I have tried all basic diagnostics including disk checks, hardware checks, driver checks, anti virus/malware scans and reviewing system logs. I guess this above my technical skills.
Please let me know what I could possibly share that might provide some meaningful information to help pinpoint the issue!
I thank you in advance for your assistance!
Download WhoCrashed from the link in my signature below
This program checks for any drivers which may have been causing your computer to crashโฆ.
Click on the file you just downloaded and run it.
Put a tick in Accept then click on Next
Put a tick in the Don't create a start menu folder then click Next
Put a tick in Create a Desktop Icon then click on Install and make sure there is a tick in Launch Whocrashed before clicking Finish
Click Analyze
It will want to download the Debugger and install it Say Yes WhoCrashed will create report but you have to scroll down to see it Copy and paste it into your next reply
http://www.resplendence.com/downloads
Please follow the steps below to enter the Event Viewer program in Vista\Win7. This will give me more information into what is causing your issue. You can get to Event viewer two ways and I will post both for you.
Method One
" Go to
" Start
" In the Search box type in Event Viewer in the search box and press Enter
" From this point you can follow from step four from the below method as they will be the same.
Method Two
" Go to Start
" Right click on the Computer Icon and select Manage
" Navigate to the Event Viewer, You will be prompted to accept the action you are going to perform. Click continue
" On the left window pane click on Local and then expand the Windows entry. This will allow you to see every error for the past 24 hours as well as the last 7 days in the right window pane.
" Look for the ones that correspond to the times that your issue occurred.
" If any are found please double click and expand the error. This will open and give you more information on the error.
" Please include that in your next reply.
rshaffer61,
Thank you for your response. Here is what I have done:
1) Downloaded WhoCrashed (Home Edition) v 4.00. Analyzed. The results:
Crash Dump Analysis
โโโโโโโโโโโโโโโโโโโโโโโโโโโ
Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer
2) Opened Event Viewer. I don't see an option to select "Local". I there are 2 options: "Custom Views" and "Windows Logs". I expanded Windows Logs and then selected "System".
At the time of the last crash, I see a CRITICAL ERROR (details):
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 10/30/2012 10:16:21 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: QuantumSecure
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
41
2
1
63
0
0x8000000000000002
339619
System
QuantumSecure
0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
false
0
I also see some ERRORS that occur regularly:
Log Name: System
Source: bowser
Date: 10/30/2012 10:37:09 AM
Event ID: 8003
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: QuantumSecure
Description:
The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer LUCAS-LAPTOP that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT_Tcpip_{E07720EE-C8B4-4141-9B22-E5D6DDF908ED}. The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced.
Event Xml:
8003
2
0
0x80000000000000
339764
System
QuantumSecure
\Device\LanmanDatagramReceiver
LUCAS-LAPTOP
NetBT_Tcpip_{E07720EE-C8B4-4141-9B22-E5D6DDF908ED}
000000000300320000000000431F00C0000000000000000001000000000000000000000000000
000
Log Name: System
Source: HECIx64
Date: 10/30/2012 10:36:04 AM
Event ID: 1
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: QuantumSecure
Description:
The Intelยฎ Management Engine Interface is being reset.
Event Xml:
1
3
0
0x80000000000000
339763
System
QuantumSecure
00000000010000000000000001000780000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000
000
Log Name: System
Source: Service Control Manager
Date: 10/30/2012 10:16:43 AM
Event ID: 7000
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: QuantumSecure
Description:
The LogMeIn Kernel Information Provider service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the path specified.
Event Xml:
7000
0
2
0
0
0x8080000000000000
339673
System
QuantumSecure
LogMeIn Kernel Information Provider
%%3
Please let me know if I can provide any additional information. Really appreciate your assistance!
-Steve