Hi,
I have recently changed my printer from Lexmark to Kodak and on trying to install drivers I get an error message saying I do not have permission to do this action.
I remember having similar issues with my apple Ipod where I can only get ITunes V8 as any later version has the same download and install issues (no permisions)
I also cannot open certain media files (music and video)
I have logged on as Administrator but still no joy.
I have been in to the Regedit section but without really knowing what to do I haven't I dared change anything.
2 Questions:
1: Is there a factory default setting for the Registry for Win7 64bit??
2: How do I reinstall as I cannot print instructions!!
Hope somebody can help with this.
Thanks in advance.
Simon
I take it this is windows 7 your doing this on ?
I ask as there is no default admin account, the account can be created using a command, but it's not really worth it to the vast majority of people, as it's admin powers that cause the most damage, the normal accounts are not admin accounts, just standard user accounts, BUT, unlike a standard account these accounts can grant temporary admin status, this allows you to install as an admin when required, the everyday use of the account is just a normal user account, which is all most need.
To install as an admin simply right click on the install file, then select to run as admin, allow the pop up request so it knows your doing this, then install as normal, I don't know how you have been installing, but this is the way your supposed to.
There is one other thing that can mess up installations, and that's protection, eg anti virus, it's not uncommon to have to turn off\suspend\pause such protection while you install, or it can cause installations to fail, obviously do not go to web pages with real time protection down, just for peace of mind, but see if any of this makes a difference.
Should you still have problems, or still want to reinstall the system, we would need to know the make\model of it to give more accurate advice, but in general terms, there are a couple of ways to do it (assuming it's store bought\pre installed that is), the simplest for most is if the is an entry in the Start - All Programs list, look for a folder from the makers, then look for a recovery option, if it's there just click that and follow through the on screen prompts, the other way is to press a designated button(s) during boot, sometimes it tells you to press F(could be any of a few F keys) key to enter recovery or similar, more complex systems require a combination of buttons, and you often won't have any indication of what they are, but knowing the maker we can say what they normally use, but there is no default standard for this by the varied makers, but if you do this make sure you back up any files\info needed first or you will lose them, hope this helps a bit.
Many thanks for your response.
I have been into the Acer file and found a recovery management option - however every time I put a new disc into my tray it ejects it saying i have to put a blank CD in. I have been through the whole pack and it says the same thing on all the CD's - very frustrating. If I open up the D drive with a CD in it says it is a blank CD.????
I have An Acer Aspire 7540 - 303G32 Running Win 7 64bit
Many thanks
Simon
I don't know why your trying to put a blank disk in for, not if your going to reset the system to out of the box, but it's always advisable to create a recovery disk when you first get a system to be safe, so that would come after the recovery, as to the disk not being recognised as blank, there are a few possible reasons, but at this stage I would say do the restore first, as theres no way to be sure if the systems not behaving at this time, so one step at a time to avoid confusion.
The first thing to do is save all the files you can not afford to lose, once you do this everything will be gone, so make sure you have all you need before starting this process.
You can find how to use the recovery program by going Here to the Acer Guide for this.
Should you not be able to use this method, just under the screenshot\video there is a line of text that will show you the alternate method, one or both of these should get you back to out of the box state, if during the process you are asked about backing up files, say No, do what they call a destructive recovery, what this means is should an infection been behind this, it will be wiped doing this, it may be possible it has attached itself to your files, so have protection loaded and fully updated, and scan the backed up files before accessing them, I'm not saying you have an infection, just that this is the suggested route should it have been the case, but it never hurts to do this regardless.
See how you go with this, and we can move on to any remaining issues (should there be any) after you have restored the system, hope this helps.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI