This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

editing the registry

7 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

If you are referring to Launch and Access permissions, the Default Settings are "Allow". Specifically applied "Deny" settings may provide appropriate safeguards. But you may not be referring to Group Policies. Will you describe a little more about what you are hoping to accomplish? Best Regards
I am trying to download internet explorer 7, windows media player, and adobe flash player but none of these will complete the installation. I get a permissions warning for IE7 and the others just don't finish. I think something is screwed up in the registry but I don't have a clue on how to find out. The media player I have is widows media 9 but it will not play a video anymore. Any idea whats going on with my machine?
Run your Windows File Protection - System File Checker – to replace any missing or corrupt OS files. Start - Run - (type)sfc /scannow <—- notice the space between the "c" and "/"
I tried to run sfc /scannow and I keep getting this message: Files that are reguired for windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache, Insert windows XP professional service pack 2 CD now. I do not have that CD. I'm running XP Home and I downloaded SP2 from microsoft as a update.
There is a "glitch" in some/many XP Home installations that incorrectly causes SFC to call for XP Professional CD instead of accepting the already installed XP Home resources.
I've got a "fix" written down in my repair resource files.
I'll go get it and post back.

Best Regards

EDIT:
Often this is the result of someone else, (the manufacturer) taking short-cuts when installing the operating system.
——————-
To fix your situation that incorrectly calls for XP Pro ——-

The incorrect prompt to insert a Windows XP Pro CD when running SFC on an XP Home system is a well known bug, and is due to errors in the Fp40ext.inf file, and on some systems the Ims.inf file, both located in the INF folder.
To resolve the problem —
open each file in Notepad, scroll to the [strings] section, and change each instance of "Windows XP Professional" to "Windows XP Home".

Using Windows Explorer or My Computer -

Navigate to C:\Windows\INF\fp40ext.inf — (and then separately do the same for Ims.inf)
Double-click on the filename - fp40ext.inf - will open the file in Notepad.
(do the same separately for Ims.inf)

Both of these files are rather large in Notepad, containing many arcane looking computer instructions.
The only portions that you will "edit" are those in the [strings] section where reference to
"Windows XP Professional" may appear.
Using Notepad - "highlight" Professional and (type)Home in its place.

Then use - File - Save to save your changes
Then use - File - Exit to close out of Notepad

The [Strings] portion of these files will be located in the text near the bottom of the Notepad page, and will be clearly labled with the [Strings] heading.

I'll copy/paste an example of the [Strings) portion below for illustration.

Here's an example from a machine that I currently have on my desk for repair:
In the example below, I've bolded the word Professional, which is the only word that you will edit, replacing it with the word Home. In my example below, there are (2) two instances of Professional to be replaced with Home. Your [Strings] section may be different and may have more or fewer references to Professional. Edit each instance of Professional that you find in the [Strings] section.

[Strings]
;
; Localize all strings in this section.
; These strings are used directly by OCM.
;
fp_desc = "FrontPage 2000 Server Extensions"
fp_tip = "Enables authoring and administration of websites with Microsoft FrontPage and Visual InterDev"
WKS_CD_NAME = "Windows XP Professional CD-ROM"
SRV_CD_NAME = "Windows XP Server CD-ROM"
SP_CD_NAME = "Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD"
SDESC_Fp_Extensions = "FrontPage Server Extensions files"
LDESC_Fp_Extensions = "Enables authoring and administration of websites with Microsoft FrontPage and Visual InterDev"


Be careful to make No Other Changes in either of your .inf files while using Notepad to change Professional to Home.

Save the changes and exit.

Do your have the XP Home Installation CD?
If not, we may need to take additional steps to facilitate the use of SFC (System File Checker).

Please keep us posted with your progress.

Best Regards
Are you able to run SFC now?

If not, that indicates that the manufacturer "cut some corners" when installing your OS.
There's a "fix" for it though.

This is an excellent site that describes the entire process, and some "special circumstance" caveates that rarely occur.
I'll give you the link, rather than posting specific instructions.
If you later need a more step-by-step, just let me know.
http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html
The directions on the website you gave are calling for me to download a folder i386 to my hard drive from my XP CD. I don't have a XP CD. I ran a search for that folder and found it on drive D: which is my system recovery. Is this the folder I need? If so how do I get it to my C: drive?
Yes that's the Folder. Create a folder on C:\ Name it C:\i386 Use your copy/paste function to Copy all the files inside of the similar Folder on D:\ to C:\
I think you already completed the following, (required), but you might go take another look to confirm.

Using Windows Explorer or My Computer -

Navigate to C:\Windows\INF\fp40ext.inf — (and then separately do the same for Ims.inf)
Double-click on the filename - fp40ext.inf - will open the file in Notepad.
(do the same separately for Ims.inf)

Both of these files are rather large in Notepad, containing many arcane looking computer instructions.
The only portions that you will "edit" are those in the [strings] section where reference to
"Windows XP Professional" may appear.
Using Notepad - "highlight" Professional and (type)Home in its place.

Then use - File - Save to save your changes
Then use - File - Exit to close out of Notepad



The Website instructions will have directed you to "make changes in your registry" to point SFC to look into your C:\ directory for the i386 folder.

Without making those registry changes, SFC will continue to call for the XP CD.

Here's a brief review of the necessary changes in Registry:

(Use the Export function in Regedit to back up the file before changing it)

Now you will need to tell your computer's SFC utility where to look for the files on your PC.
Do this in the registry with Regedit:
GoTo: Start - Run (type)regedit.exe - hit Enter
Navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
You will see various entries here on the right hand side.
The one we want is called:
SourcePath
It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:\ (because your i386 now exists on your C:\ Drive
Simply double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up allowing you to make the change.
Now restart your computer and try scannow sfc again!

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI