Go to Start then to Run
Type in compmgmt.msc and click Enter
On left side click on Disk Management
On right side you will see you hard drive.
Male sure the window is open all the way on the top right so I can see all the info it has.
Now I need you to take a screenshot and attach it to your next reply. Do the following to take a screenshot while the above is open and showing on your desktop.
To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
Make sure the window is open all the way so I can see everything on the top right window.
Ok since it doesn't appear to be a driver issue or a free space issue I would like to check some of the hardware.
Go to Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter …It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot…click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation This one will take longer then chkdsk /f
Note… there are 5 stages…
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area…this is normal… DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.
Reboot after your done running chkdsk /r…
then Go to Start…Run and type: eventvwr.msc press Enter
When Event Viewer opens, click on Applications… then scroll down to Winlogon and double-click on it. This is the log created after running Checkdisk…copy and paste the log back here
hello,
please find the results of the chkdsk here:📎chkdisk.txt
The combination of the different measures seems to speed up things, however, overall performance remains slow.
Kind regards,
Jan
This may very well be part if not all of your issue.
4 kB in beschadigde sectoren.
4kb of bad sectors on your hd. Most likely the reason for the increased performance is the fact that the data contained in those bad sectors was moved to a good section of the hd and the bad sectors were marked so no new data good be written to them now.
I now would like to check the HD even further with the manufacturer diagnostic tool.
Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.
NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, try the Hitachi DFT CD Image version of the software
Hello,
I finally managed to create a bootable CD with the Fujitsu HDD diagnostic tool 7.00
Result:
—————–FAIL————————–
The drive did not pass the COMPREHENSIVE TEST.
An Error was detected on the HDD.
Error code: B101V6
Please contact Fujitsu Customer Service
for Repair.
————————————————-
I think this is bad news, isn't it?
Thanks for the help on this.
I wonder whether it is worth to replace the drive on a +7-year old laptop.
Maybe I should recommend my neighbour to buy a new computer…
regards, I think the issue can be closed
Jan
Janmer it was brought to my attention that your hd may be a IDE connection instead of the SATA that I linked to above. I am adding this link HERE for the IDE connection types.
I apologize for the confusion.
Also if replacement of the laptop is more what you had in mind what kind of budget would you be looking at and what is the system used for the majority of the time?
I can look around and help find something that would meet your needs if you would like.
Thanks a lot.
Since it is not my laptop but my neighbour's, i recommended him to contact his supplier to see if he could replace the HDD.
Alternative would be to buy a new laptop…
regards,
Jan
Being that old I highly doubt it would be able to run Win7 because of the lack of drivers for Win7. If your neighbor is wanting to go with the newer OS it would be better to go with a new laptop.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI