This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Windows XP Home SP3 booting slow, but runs fast once booted

82 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

My Acer TravelMate 4202WLMi used to boot pretty fast way back when I first got it. But over the years its boot process has started to take longer and longer. I have already cleared out a lot of startup entries so that they won't slow things down anymore, but a regular system boot takes around 4-5 minutes from turning the computer on to seeing the login screen and another 4-5 minutes until the few remaining startup programs have been launched. NIS2010 quarantined some Trojans over the course of the past few months and MBAM quarantined a handful more a couple of days ago that NIS had missed. Any help in pinpointing what might be causing the slow startup would be very much appreciated. Once the system is up and running, everything works pretty smooth.
I am regularly running Ccleaner and also removed various applications already using the Revo Uninstaller. At present, my space utilization is as follows: Internal disk C: size: 160 GB, free: 28 GB External disks F: size: 1.5 TB, free: 1.1 TB G: size: 500 GB, free: 500 GB I: size: 500 GB, free: 80 GB J: size: 1.5 TB, free: 500 GB I just now reduced the System Restore space on the C: drive from 12% (18 GB) to the 2 GB you recommended. The System Restore space settings on all of the external drives are all still set at 12%. Should I turn the System Restore space off on all of the external drives? Could it be that currently the combined System Restore space of all drives exceeds a certain threshold which then triggers this behavior? Also, please note that when I tried to do a System Restore a couple of days ago, none of the existing restore points would work but rather resulted in an error message along the lines of "… was not able to use the restore point" once the system had gone through all the motions and had rebooted.

External disks
F: size: 1.5 TB, free: 1.1 TB
G: size: 500 GB, free: 500 GB
I: size: 500 GB, free: 80 GB
J: size: 1.5 TB, free: 500 GB

I just now reduced the System Restore space on the C: drive from 12% (18 GB) to the 2 GB you recommended. The System Restore space settings on all of the external drives are all still set at 12%. Should I turn the System Restore space off on all of the external drives? Could it be that currently the combined System Restore space of all drives exceeds a certain threshold which then triggers this behavior?

IMHO It is a bad practice to let System Restore monitor an external drive. By design most external drives are monitored by System Restore. If any changes are made to the external drives files while it is not connected to the system, the next time it’s connected System Restore will find an inconsistency in the SR log and cause all existing restore points to become corrupt and require there deletion. The same can be true if the external drive is powered off while the system is running.

Also, please note that when I tried to do a System Restore a couple of days ago, none of the existing restore points would work but rather resulted in an error message along the lines of "… was not able to use the restore point" once the system had gone through all the motions and had rebooted.

To help resolve the System Restore problem, it may help if we can collect some data from the Event Viewer.

Go to Start - Run and type eventvwr.msc and press enter.

Click on System in the left pane.

Click the gray title “Source” at the top of the source name column in the right pane to sort by source name.
Look for "sr" and "srservice." Double-click each of these services, and evaluate the event description for any indication of the cause of the problem. Make note of the Description, EventID and Source of these Event Properties that show an Error or Warning.

If you would like assistance in examining the "sr" and "srservice" events, double click on each event, then click on the button below the two arrows in the upper right corner. This will copy the event information to the clipboard. Paste the information for each event, there is no need to post duplicate errors with the same Description.


Regards,
Jkc73 :)
There are no "sr" or "srservice" entries in the Source column. What I am coming across are - about a dozen bcm4xbxp "Information" - too many DCOM "Error"s to count - too many disk "Warning"s to count. All of them referring to one or the other of the external hard disks stating that "An error was detected on \Device\Harddisk?\D during a paging operation" (where ? is the number of the disk, typically 2, 3 or 4). - too many eventlog "Information" entries to count, primarily informing about the event log being started and stopped - too many Print "Error"s to count, all informing me that no suitable driver was found - close to a dozen Server "Warning"s indicating that a share on one of the external drives cannot be recreated because the directory no longer exists, even though the directory is still there. - Too many Service Control Manager "Information" entries to count, a lot of them involving LiveUpdate - a lot of Service Control Manager "Error"s involving the MS Software Shadow Copy Provider Service and the "Application Management service" - about a dozen SRTPS "Information" entries - two W32time "Warning"s that the time is too far off to synchronize - one Windows File Protection "information" regarding usbser.sys - two Windows Update Agent "Information" entries Please let me know what other information you might need. Also, it sounds like I'd be much better off turning restore points on external drives off, correct?
This part concerns me, as the closest information I can find is located here, and refers to bcm4sbxp.sys

- about a dozen bcm4xbxp "Information"


File bcm4sbxp.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 42,368 bytes

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as bcm4sbxp.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder.

If you find that this is the case I recommend a visit to the Infections Removal sub-Forum

However~ Lets run a PC PitStop test so I can see some details about your computer.

How to run PCPitStop's Overdrive tests:

  • Please go to the PCPitStop Overdrive sign-up page, click here, Signup at PCPitStop (You need to use Internet Explorer with this test so that an ActiveX control can be installed.)
  • Click "Create a free account "
  • Enter in your relevant information on the sign-up page. You must sign-up in order to have your results recorded so that we can take a look at them here.
  • After signing up you'll see the "Registration Complete" page, and you can click "Test Your System Now" to return to the test page.
  • Login with your newly created e-mail address and password on the left hand side.
  • Follow the directions to "Scan this system now." An activeX control will need to be installed. It is safe, and you should allow it to be installed.
  • Once the tests have been run, you will see an "Almost there" page requesting further information about your computer and your experience with PCPitStop, just scroll down to the bottom and click "GO."
  • A test results page will display, and I need the link to that page.
  • Look in the address bar of your browser. It will look like 'http://www.pcpitstop.com/betapit/…' Please copy and paste that here to the forum.


Note: PCPitStop may recommend that you use certain utilities to fix problems on your computer.
At WhatTheTech, the help we provide is free. We do not endorse or recommend the use of any products PCPitStop may suggest.
Instead, we prefer to help you with each issue manually without using possible pay to use programs.


Have a look here, for how to post a link to your Results:
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress/howto1.asp


Regards,
Jkc73 :thumbup:
The bmc4sbxp information entries all state

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller: Network controller configured for 100Mb full-duplex link.


The file size is 45,312, dated 10/31/2005 1:16 pm.

A while back, I installed several driver updates I downloaded from Acer's website. If memory serves me right the Broadcom drivers were among them.

When I first tried to run the PC Pitstop Tests from an IEtab tab within Firefox, I ended up with Firefox crashing when the tests tried to spawn another window to run the graphics test. Now that I am running the test directly in IE, it has gotten past that point.

Here are the results.

After running the PC Pitstop Tests, I also turned off System Restore on all external drives. What can I do to assure that future restore points on the internal drive won't be corrupted? Do I have to temporarily turn off system restore on all drives and then only re-enable it on the C: drive?
PC Pitstop Tests appear to report that you have 2 Anti-virus programs installed.

  • CA Internet Security Suite
    (4.0.0.206)
  • Norton Internet Security
    (17.5.0.127)

If this report is correct you will need to remove 1, (or both if you select 1 of the free versions below, they are highly recommend here at WhattheTech)

AntiVirus Software - Choose only one - More than one will conflict. It is very important that your computer has anti-virus software running to protect against viruses. Update Antivirus prior to manual scans as necessary or as used. Please only choose one, having more than one can cause problems, such as crashes and your computer to slow down.
Here are some good free anti-virus programs.
From this statement in your other thread I believe it could be an error on the Pit Test, or misunderstanding it myself. :blush:

Norton Internet Security 2010 is the only Firewall/AV/AntiSpyware program currently running on my computer.
Due to Norton's lousy AntiSpam component I had to reinstall the AntiSpam component of CA Internet Security a while back.


However, I did notice that you had some malware found by MBAM, it may be a good idea to visit the "Infections Removal" sub Forum. so a Malware Expert can take a look before we continue.
They may also be able to suggest which programs to avoid on start-up, there are a few that I noticed in your HJT Log that hog resources. :smack:
Programs like C:\Program Files\Secunia\PSI\psi.exe can be started later after the system is up and running.
EDIT:(This is classed as a Required Process) I guess it is a bad example. :blush:
iTunes is probably a better example of what not to let start up, I manually start itunes when I need it, along with my email program and anti spam.(Mailwasher Free) though I have been trialing Comodo Anti-Spam free.

You can also view via your PCPitstop results, under Software > Processes the details of CPU and RAM usage.
PCPitstop has their recommendations, though ultimately it is your choice.
I would NOT disable a Required Process.
I would recommend disabling Processes listed as Disable
And as far as the Optional Processes are concerned, if you feel comfortable you can disable the ones that you rarely use.

You can do this safely by using Codestuff Starter

Before attempting anything. :pullhair:
Please verify your Systems Restore is activated:

  • Go to My Computer
  • Properties
  • System Restore
  • Highlight C:\Drive
  • Settings
  • Set the slider to 1% (1095MB) or as close to 1024mb as available
  • OK - Apply - OK
  • Reboot


Then proceed to:

  • Start
  • All Programs
  • Accessories
  • System Tools
  • System Restore
  • Follow the prompts to create a new restore point
  • Reboot and proceed

————————————————————-

Remembering my advice is to please follow these instructions here, before going any further with this thread.


Best Regards,
Jkc73 :)

PC Pitstop Tests appear to report that you have 2 Anti-virus programs installed.

  • CA Internet Security Suite (4.0.0.206)
  • Norton Internet Security (17.5.0.127)

After testing various combinations of both free individual components and for fee Internet Security suites, I decided to opt for NIS 2010 since it had the lowest memory consumption and achieved pretty good test results. Granted, it is by far not as fast as the F-Prot AntiVirus I previously used, which was able to conduct a full scan of my system in less than a quarter of the time Norton's AV component takes, but then again, FPAV also had a heftier footprint.

Unfortunately the AntiSpam component of NIS 2010 is pretty dumb, given that they still rely exclusively on blacklists rather than to combine whitelists with a Bayes filter, as CA AntiSpam does, the latter being the only component of the CA ISS suite that is actually installed on this computer, whereas I disabled the NIS 2010 AntiSpam component.

Here are some good free anti-virus programs.

Any reason in particular why you didn't include AVG Free in the list?

However, I did notice that you had some malware found by MBAM, it may be a good idea to visit the "Infections Removal" sub Forum. so a Malware Expert can take a look before we continue.

What should we do in the meantime to keep this thread open? My understanding is that it would be closed upon three days of inactivity.

iTunes is probably a better example of what not to let start up, I manually start itunes when I need it, along with my email program and anti spam.(Mailwasher Free) though I have been trialing Comodo Anti-Spam free.

I tested Mailwasher before, but found that I personally prefer a more traditional approach to spam filtering.

I used to be a huge fan of SpamPal but ever since its original developer fell sick and subsequently donated the project to SourceForge, it was not developed any further due to a lack of a development team.

I'll have to take a look at Comodo's AntiSpam component … maybe it's going to be a viable alternative.

As far as iTunes is concerned, my understanding is that I am only starting the "helper" component which recognizes when my phone is connected and triggers the automatic syncing.

And as far as the Optional Processes are concerned, if you feel comfortable you can disable the ones that you rarely use.

You can do this safely by using Codestuff Starter

For the past year or so, I have been handling this with the help of Ccleaner. Is there any particular advantage to using Codestuff Starter instead?

Before attempting anything. :pullhair:
Please verify your Systems Restore is activated:

Ah, well, here we come back to one of my previous posts … none of my restore points were working. From what I gathered from previous responses, this might have been due to the fact that at one time or another I had one or the other of the external hard drives disconnected, which apparently can result in a corruption of the restore point database.

Now that I have disabled the restore points on all of the external disks, which additional steps do I have to take to assure that I no longer have a corrupt restore point database? Would it be sufficient to temporarily disable all restore points and subsequently reactivate them only on the C: drive? Would that wipe out the restore point database so that its presumed corruption would become a non-issue?

Also, before I forget it, let me point out that I am less concerned about the time the system takes from the time I login to when all the startup apps are running. After all, at that point I am reasonably well aware of which apps are taking their merry time to start up. What I am more concerned about is the amount of time I spend staring at a blank screen after I have turned on the computer and gone past the BIOS prompt.

Since I don't want the Windows splash screen to cover any error messages, I deactivated it in the BOOT.INI file.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /noguiboot /bootlog


Thanks for all your advice.
Just a quick reply regarding closed threads.

What should we do in the meantime to keep this thread open? My understanding is that it would be closed upon three days of inactivity.

Nothing needs to be done, as Tech Forum threads don't carry the three days of inactivity time limit like the Infections Removal Forum. :thumbup:


Also, before I forget it, let me point out that I am less concerned about the time the system takes from the time I login to when all the startup apps are running. After all, at that point I am reasonably well aware of which apps are taking their merry time to start up. What I am more concerned about is the amount of time I spend staring at a blank screen after I have turned on the computer and gone past the BIOS prompt.

Taking this into account, we will see how well things run after you have been given the all clear in the Infections Removal.



Regards,
Jkc73 ;)

Tech Forum threads don't carry the three days of inactivity time limit like the Infections Removal Forum. :thumbup:

… we will see how well things run after you have been given the all clear in the Infections Removal.

Thanks for the info. Still waiting for somebody to pick up on the infections thread. :(
But then again, there are likely more urgent cases around that require attention … :unsure:
I looked at your malware post and see that you attached a link to a week old HJT report. It would be much better if you posted a new one.

One warning. DO NOT reply to your post as the malware folks look at posts with 0 replies first., Gen the new hjt report then edit your existing post and past it in at the bottom, don't post a link to it else where.
The default settings of Windows system will launch all of the services when you boost up the computer. I suggest you disable some unneeded services to fix slow computer. To do this please: Click Start–Run–type in msconfig–under the services tab you can disable the unwanted services. Moreover, under the "Startup" tab, you will see the list of applications that runs automatically at the computer startup. You also should choose and disable some of them in order to improve the startup speed.

hxxp://ezinearticles(dot)com/?How-to-Optimize-…&id=3446498 <– This is a SPAM link and also contains unsafe recommendations. (Doug)
@Ztruker - Thanks for the kind reminder

@StephenLi - Thanks for the suggestion; I already did that before.

I just dawned on me that it might also help to take a look at the bootlog file, so that we might be be able to better understand what happens before the login prompt is displayed.

Here are the entries from C:\WINDOWS\NTBTLG.TXT for today's boot:

Service Pack 3 1 26 2010 08:57:37.375
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\hal.dll
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\KDCOM.DLL
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\BOOTVID.dll
Loaded driver ACPI.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\WMILIB.SYS
Loaded driver pci.sys
Loaded driver isapnp.sys
Loaded driver ohci1394.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\1394BUS.SYS
Loaded driver compbatt.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\BATTC.SYS
Loaded driver pciide.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\PCIIDEX.SYS
Loaded driver aliide.sys
Loaded driver intelide.sys
Loaded driver toside.sys
Loaded driver viaide.sys
Loaded driver cmdide.sys
Loaded driver pcmcia.sys
Loaded driver MountMgr.sys
Loaded driver ftdisk.sys
Loaded driver ACPIEC.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\OPRGHDLR.SYS
Loaded driver PartMgr.sys
Loaded driver UBHelper.sys
Loaded driver VolSnap.sys
Loaded driver cpqarray.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\SCSIPORT.SYS
Loaded driver atapi.sys
Loaded driver aha154x.sys
Loaded driver sparrow.sys
Loaded driver symc810.sys
Loaded driver aic78xx.sys
Loaded driver dac960nt.sys
Loaded driver ql10wnt.sys
Loaded driver amsint.sys
Loaded driver asc.sys
Loaded driver asc3550.sys
Loaded driver mraid35x.sys
Loaded driver i2omp.sys
Loaded driver ini910u.sys
Loaded driver ql1240.sys
Loaded driver aic78u2.sys
Loaded driver symc8xx.sys
Loaded driver sym_hi.sys
Loaded driver sym_u3.sys
Loaded driver ABP480N5.SYS
Loaded driver asc3350p.sys
Loaded driver cd20xrnt.sys
Loaded driver ultra.sys
Loaded driver adpu160m.sys
Loaded driver dpti2o.sys
Loaded driver ql1080.sys
Loaded driver ql1280.sys
Loaded driver ql12160.sys
Loaded driver perc2.sys
Loaded driver perc2hib.sys
Loaded driver hpn.sys
Loaded driver cbidf2k.sys
Loaded driver dac2w2k.sys
Loaded driver disk.sys
Loaded driver \WINDOWS\system32\DRIVERS\CLASSPNP.SYS
Loaded driver fltmgr.sys
Loaded driver SYMDS.SYS
Loaded driver sr.sys
Loaded driver SYMEFA.SYS
Loaded driver PxHelp20.sys
Loaded driver symsnap.sys
Loaded driver KSecDD.sys
Loaded driver Ntfs.sys
Loaded driver NDIS.sys
Loaded driver sisagp.sys
Loaded driver viaagp.sys
Loaded driver sfhlp01.sys
Loaded driver sbp2port.sys
Loaded driver prosync1.sys
Loaded driver prohlp02.sys
Loaded driver Mup.sys
Loaded driver alim1541.sys
Loaded driver amdagp.sys
Loaded driver agp440.sys
Loaded driver agpCPQ.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\intelppm.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\wmiacpi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igxpmp32.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\HDAudBus.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\NETw5x32.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbuhci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbehci.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\bcm4sbxp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\CmBatt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\i8042prt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\kbdclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\SynTP.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mouclass.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\imapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\Afc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\pfc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\cdrom.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\redbook.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\GEARAspiWDM.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\NTIDrvr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\VMNetSrv.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\LMImirr.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\dfmirage.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\audstub.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rasirda.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rasl2tp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndistapi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndiswan.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspppoe.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspptp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\msgpc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\psched.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ptilink.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\raspti.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\termdd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\swenum.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\update.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mssmbios.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NDProxy.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\RtkHDAud.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\HSFHWAZL.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\HSF_DPV.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\HSF_CNXT.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Modem.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbhub.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\lbrtfdc.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fdc.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Flpydisk.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Sfloppy.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\i2omgmt.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NIS\1105000.07F\Ironx86.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NIS\1105000.07F\SRTSPX.SYS
Loaded driver \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\SYMEVENT.SYS
Loaded driver
Loaded driver
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\USBSTOR.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbccgp.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\usbprint.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\BrScnUsb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\BrUsbSer.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\BrSerIf.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\hidusb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\uacflt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mouhid.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\usbaudio.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NIS\1105000.07F\SRTSP.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Changer.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdaudio.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fs_Rec.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Null.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\MTictwl.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\kbdhid.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vga.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\mnmdd.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\DRIVERS\RDPCDD.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Msfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Npfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rasacd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ipsec.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\tcpip.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\wanarp.sys
Loaded driver
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\NIS\1105000.07F\SYMTDI.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\netbt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\ws2ifsl.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\afd.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\netbios.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\PCIDump.SYS
Loaded driver \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\vmm.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\prodrv06.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\OsaFsLoc.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Fips.SYS
Loaded driver \??\C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\EENGINE\EraserUtilRebootDrv.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\EENGINE\eeCtrl.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\NIS\1105000.07F\ccHPx86.sys
Loaded driver
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\BANTExt.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Cdfs.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\irda.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\elagopro.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ndisuio.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\s24trans.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\rdbss.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxsmb.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mrxdav.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\SENTINEL.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Serial.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Aspi32.SYS
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\elaunidr.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\epm-psd.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\epm-shd.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\Program Files\LogMeIn\x86\RaInfo.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\srv.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\LMIRfsDriver.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\mdmxsdk.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\osaio.sys
Loaded driver \??\C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\osanbm.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\v2imount.sys
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\ipnat.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\wdmaud.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\sysaudio.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\splitter.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\aec.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\swmidi.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\DMusic.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\drmkaud.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\HTTP.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\psi_mf.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys
Loaded driver
Loaded driver
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\system32\drivers\kmixer.sys

Is there any way to force the bootlog to include time stamps for each of these entries so that we would get a better idea of where a delay may be occurring?

Also, how would we go about identifying what's happening when there's only a line "Loaded driver" without identifying a particular driver?
Hmmmm…. you will have to check with a Tech Team Member about this one first. :scratch: :whistling:

Process Monitor is an advanced monitoring tool for Windows that shows real-time file system, Registry, and process/thread activity. It combines the features of two legacy Sysinternals utilities, Filemon, and Regmon, and adds an extensive list of enhancements including rich and non-destructive filtering, comprehensive event properties such session IDs and user names, reliable process information, full thread stacks with integrated symbol support for each operation, and simultaneous logging to a file. It is uniquely powerful features will make Process Monitor a core utility in your system troubleshooting and malware hunting toolkit.

If you enable the boot logging option Process Monitor will set itself up
as a boot start device driver and it will be started in the very early
stages of the boot process long before any user processes are started.
It will record a *massive* amount of activity that will result in a log
file of more than 100MB and it will sort everything in chronological
order at a millionth of a second intervals! Along with the massive
amount of information that it records Process Monitor has excellent
filtering abilities to weed through it all and it has other options that
allow you to select only the columns and information you want to see.
Process Monitor will keep on logging until you open it up again, it can
log the whole session right through the shutdown and on to the next
restart! If you can't find what you need in the log provided by this
utility then the only thing that I can suggest is that you set up a
remote debug session!


I hope this helps…


Note: I didn't supply any link in case you went crazy, and used it. :P :rofl:

Best Regards,
Jkc73 :)

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI