This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Startup delay

4 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Running XP Home SP3, system boots up to desktop then lags before the start menu and icons appear - also slow on shutdown. System is a pentium m 1.63 (I think) with 1 GB ram so I know age is a factor. Desktop is a 2 MB BMP. Tried a smaller pic, but same result. Got rid of a couple startup items, ran all the virus/malware stuff I had so I am fairly sure its not that. Once everything is up it runs pretty good, but the takeoffs and landings are long. Any way to really tell what the holdup is?
Good Morning,

I notice you have had extensive work done in the HJT forum both in September and October with LDTate looking after you.

Are you following his advice at the end of each log to keep your computer clean etc?

I suggest you download and run CodeStuff Starters, check the startup items and clear what is not needed to improve your boot time.

You could also read about User Hive Cleanup Service from Microsoft to assist with your shutdown.

Keep us posted how you progress.

kind regards,
Hi ajcstr. You could give bootvis a try.

NOTE: Microsoft has pulled this from circulation. You should take that into consideration in deciding whether or not to use it.

You can still download it from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=664

Good instructions on using it can be found here: http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-…11-5034622.html

Don't try to use the Optimization feature though. I don't believe it works any more which is probably why MS pulled it. The logging part seems to still work correctly.
Hi :)

If this is a old PC, you could greatly benefit from deleting
the contents of your prefetch cache. Windows gathers
info and startup routines on various programs on boot from
this cache to try minimize startup time for these. And old
content (e.g. deleted / uninstalled) aren't removed. So over
time a myriad of entries will getting loaded, needed or not!

The prefetch folder is located in C:\windows.

Be sure to only delete the content, not the folder itself!

After you have deleted the content, reboot your machine.
Some programs may initially start a bit slow after this,
but thats only until windows have picked up the prefetches
for your current programs. The benefits are that the clutter
made up of old prefetch data is gone.

Happy New Year :wavey:

Regards Abydos
There has been much written about clearing PreFetch Folder.

I hold the opinion that it is not a good idea and no useful purpose is served.

Have a quick read here, to see generally where I'm coming from with my disagreement:
http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000743.html
and for a more detailed (and better, IMO) description read the section by Mark Russinovich (SysInternals) related to PreFetch and how it functions as a list of lists and a directory for defragging ( without loading a single "file" into Memory before an application is called).
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc302206.aspx
_____________

On the other hand, a user will not "harm" anything by clearing Prefetch, simply because Windows will resume building the very same selection of lists back into Prefetch over time and usage of your various preferred applications. The only thing even close to "harm" is that it will take longer for applications to load because they won't benefit from the ready-made .pf list of what should be called for and where to find the called files.

Initial Loading of applications will most likely be "slower" after clearing PreFetch, but only the first time after clearing Prefetch, However, loading time will improve even more by leaving the items in PreFetch because Defrag utilities will reference to the PreFetch folder when doing their work of laying out continuous sections for commonly used applications and making them more readily available earlier on the hard disk.

Prefetch is by default "self cleaning" in that Windows only allows 128 items into the Folder and when a new application needs to be listed, it will push out the oldest/least used item.

I presently have 59 items in my C:\Windows\Prefetch and none of them are older than 12/27/08.
I'd say that is pretty "up to date" with nothing hanging around as old clutter.
And I have never cleared the Prefetch Folder on this machine.
I have cleared the Prefetch Folder on other test machines, and have noticed the increased lag in loading applications.

Your mileage may vary.
And I'm certainly open to learning from others if there is something I'm overlooking here.

Best Regards,
Doug
Thats absolutely correct Doug. :)

But I must quote myself (sorry)

If this is a old PC, you could greatly benefit from deleting
the contents of your prefetch cache.


Any delays are only temporarily, so in my opinion worth a try. Once a application have been used once, it will already
be cached for the next time.

While it "only" holds 128 prefetch paths, its another matter how many of those paths are residing in the boot-sector.
On old machines, it is not uncommon that more than 50% of all prefetch paths are from long gone applications.
If for instance, you have installed Norton AV some 4 years ago, and later switched to AVG, the prefetch boot path
will still be there for the Norton AV, etc. etc. Depending of course, on how often one installs new app's.

As for letting windows sort it out to get the paths right everytime after a defrag, i'll let that hang in the air, seeing how
windows not always performs as intended….. B)

Regards Abydos

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI