This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Software

Installation Issues with 2 Programs

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Good afternoon everyone. I am new here and I hope that you can offer me some assistance. I will certainly try to help anyone I can when I see a topic I'm familiar with.

OK Here we go. I am having a serious issue with my PC.
Dell Vostro 230
Pentium Duel-Core 3.20 Ghz
Memory 3.00Gb
Windows 7 Home Premium w sp1
Internet Explorer 9
_____________________

I cannot download or install any updates from the Microsoft Updates site. When I try, the updates will populate and I can start the download, but then it stops and gives me the following 2 error codes: 57A & 643
I have checked everything I know to check on the system and run every MS Fix-it I can find associated with the problem. I absolutely cannot get the updates to download and install.

Second issue: I cannot install Microsoft Live Essentials on my system. I was having trouble SENDING (Have had no issues recieving) e-mail and downloaded the program to re-install it. I uninstalled the program and then re-booted my system, but when I tried to
re-install the software I get an error code for the installation: 0x80070643
I have done some research on this code and run several MS Fixes that made no difference. I really need to get my e-mail program up and running again.

It seems the issues are ONLY with Microsoft software. I have not had any issues with any other programs downloading or installing.
I am doing everything I can to avoid having to re-format my system and start from scratch.
I hope you can help.

***If anyone needs any further details, please feel free to ask and i will send you whatever you need.

Thank you ahead of time,

Darren
I see you post elsewhere as Southernonline.
In that one other post additional information was made available that "could" help lead to a solution.

You have the right to post whereever you wish and ask as often as necessary.
But please be aware that posting at multiple forums can result in suggestions that may conflict.
Plus it can get rather complicated to keep track of all the information you receive.


I suppose you have tried: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982 ???
Hey Doug, good suggestion on Windows Installer. That's something i have not thought of. However, when I tried the link you gave me and several others i looked up, I cannot find the correct version of the Installer for my system. None of the downloads that I could find were for Windows 7. I also did a search for Windows Installer for Windows 7 and got very little. Any suggestions?
Hi Gent,

After searching/reading dozens of possible help solution posts, I've come to think that the following may be of most assistance to you:
http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/cannot-r…a-windows-7-pc/

Read the entire thread, as there are helpful comments later on in the thread as well as the probably main procedure at the beginning.

We don't know much about your machine, so I don't know if it also applies, but later in the linked-thread you will see that others also needed to update the driver for their Intel Rapid Storage Technology driver.

Hope the above is useful.

Best Regards
Doug, just read your next to last entry,

"I see you post elsewhere as Southernonline.
In that one other post additional information was made available that "could" help lead to a solution.

You have the right to post whereever you wish and ask as often as necessary.
But please be aware that posting at multiple forums can result in suggestions that may conflict.
Plus it can get rather complicated to keep track of all the information you receive."

Not sure what you are talking about. This post is the first time I have EVER posted anything at WhattheTech. I do post at several other websites from time to time.
It's good for me to get several different eyes on the issue and usually leads to a speedier remedy for everyone. If you are referring to a post from another website and the information there, although I don't know why you would be,
that information was provided as the tech went through his process over a period of weeks. Without knowing what you are referring to I can't really say much more.
______________________

So far, everything that has been posted here I have attempted to the letter. Were you able to find out where I can download or install a new copy of the Windows Installer for Windows 7?
I will go through your latest post and see what I can find out and let you know.
What else do you need to know about my machine?

Thanks for the assistance
Hi Gent,

No Harm, No Foul. :)

I point out your post at another Forum simply to note that additional, possibly helpful, information was included at that location.
This problem, like any other, is "obscure" until someone identifies possible connections to possible causes and possible solutions.
The more information you provide, the more likely someone will recognize the situation.

Specific answers require specificity of question.
Complete answers require complete questions, including complete background and related information.

The strategy of posting a question at multiple forums is excellent, up to a point.
When your question is encountered (whether at this Forum or at some other) by a Member who is familiar with your situation, they will most likely post the information and possible solution that benefited themselves or which they know to be contributory.
Therefore, it can be sensible to post at more than one Forum in order to get exposure to more talented techs.

Many of us work as several Forums.
Occasionally we may start working on two similar problems at two separate sites, and later find that the original poster was one and the same.
Sometimes this can cause unnecessary duplication of volunteer work.

To the best of my knowledge, none of our techs are involved in posting in your topic threads at other Forums.
Therefore probably no duplication.
_______________________________

Moving back to problem solving in your situation.
I found myself pretty much at a loss to identify the related issues, beyond basics.
Therefore I started searching.
Like you, I found many "solutions" that did not seem to work.
And I found a few that seemed to be competently composed and possibly relevant.

Not presently having a Windows 7 machine to use as a test bed, I can't prove-out the solution.
(and if I applied the procedures to this machine I'm using to communicate with you, and it failed, I might be of no use at all to you. :D)


Therefore, I offered you the above linked resource as the apparently most competent approach for you to explore.

As to Windows Installer 5.0 for Windows 7 — it doesn't seem to be available for distribution yet, even though it is listed.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wi…5(v=vs.85).aspx

Therefore, an alternate possible way to assure that your machine's OS includes Windows Installer 5 (or the one included may be 4.5 depending upon when you received your installation DVD)
would be to run System File Protection checker…
from command line (Run as Administrator) - sfc/scannow - enter

I encourage you to read the entire text of the link I provided above and carefully determine which, if any, of those proposed solutions may best fit your situation.

Please post back, either with additional questions and more hopefully with the final solution that worked for you.
Many others may benefit from your good hard work.

Best Regards
Sorry it came to that ultimate procedure, Gent. But very happy that you are up and running now. Thanks for selecting WTT Forums as one of your home-away-from-home help sites. Glad to have you on board. Doug

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI