This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

DVD drives not loading

2 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hi,

My two DVD drives are not showing up on My Computer. Under the device manager, there are (!) signs. My computer recently got infected and I got help in this forum.
Please head over to http://forums.whatthetech.com/index.php?showtopic=113186 and see what we tried for the drives.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help with this issue.

Forewarning: I may not be on the computer all the time, so if I don't reply back for a few days, please do not close the thread. I am in need of someone's help. I'm just not able to come on often. Thanks again.
One of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or…
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or…
3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patch
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or…
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thank's to Broni for the instructions
Hi, I had tried #1 before and it didn't work. I tried #2 and it worked. My F: drive (DVD-RW drive) reads discs just fine now. My E: drive (DVD-Rom drive), however, won't read discs, but it is there now. Should I move on to #3 to try and fix the E: drive? I think the E: drive had this existing issue a long time ago.
yep just right click on it and delete it. Have you tried to remove the drive and try it in another system to see if it works?
But does that remove it from the registry? Right-click and delete just goes to Recycle Bin… No, I have not tried that. Not sure how I would do that.
If the reg fix did not work it won't matter what it did with the registry. The one drive is now working so the issue is not that. The other drive you would have to open the system and unscrew the drive from the holder in the system. Unhook the power and data cable from the back of the drive. The install it in another system and boot that system up. Then check to see if the drive is seen in the other system. If everything is connected properly and the drive is not seen then it may be a failed drive.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI