Software
Video Locks Up MSIE & FF then Blue Screen of Death
5 min read
fortyfour
Topic Starter
Computer Info:
HP Pavilion
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 3800+
2 GHz, 3 Gigs Ram
Windows XP
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
SP3
I think the computer is about 5 years old…
My computer locks up in both listed browsers when several tabs are open and I try to play a video then the blue screen appears.
Initially I thought it was just a MSIE problem but it also occurs in FF.
I don't restart my computer very often, only when Windows or a Upgraded Program needs to.
For some time it seems that occasionally when it does restart the Flash Installer pops up and then I install it.
(But I haven't removed it…?)
So I removed Flash 11 ActiveX & Plug In and then reinstalled it but it still does it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
8210GUY
Download and run Speedfan, look at the temperature given under GPU and report back, I am wondering if the video card is overheating, as it only seems to happen when you ask it to do more than it can manage before it shuts down, then we can go from there.
Ztruker
Also download and run WhoCrashed, see what it says about the cause of the BSODs.
fortyfour
Thanx for the input guys!
Attached is a screen shot of SpeedFan.
Here are th findings of Whocrashed:
——————————————————————————–
Crash Dump Analysis
——————————————————————————–
Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump
Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.
On Sun 7/15/2012 7:26:25 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071512-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x24432E)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB83E0925, 0xFFFFFFFFB17E72E4, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
On Sat 7/14/2012 6:00:37 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini071412-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: nv4_disp.dll (nv4_disp+0x7662F)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFE0000001, 0xFFFFFFFFB8390925, 0xFFFFFFFFAFEA16A0, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\nv4_disp.dll
product: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nv4_disp.dll (NVIDIA Windows XP Display driver, Version 275.33 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nv4_disp.dll NVIDIA Corporation KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Awaiting your advice on my next move.
Thanx!
8210GUY
Well Speedfan supports my suspicion, it is running hot, but not enough to scream out though, WhoCrashed says it was a video driver that was the cause, so I guess the next step would be remove the current driver using This Removal Tool, then reinstall the latest driver for the card (probably best to download this before starting), if that does not help then reseating the heatsink on the video card may be worth a shot, but to get an idea of if this may help or not, I suggest removing the side of the case, and aim a fan blowing into there, see if it crashes then, obviously touch NOTHING inside doing this, and ensure it is safe to do this, eg no pets or little fingers that could sneak in, see if any of this helps.
fortyfour
Following your link to the removal tool lands me on a page with this message:
Attention - Guru3D Driver Sweeper has been discontinued as such you will not find any download links here any longer.
Any other tool?
8210GUY
Sorry never saw that, there was nothing to immediately suggest the download button wouldn't work, I don't get why they didn't put that up the top rather than part way down, anyway it can be found at other places, Here is one I came across, but looking into this I found there were some concerns by some users over privacy, claiming Adware was now bundled, it wouldn't bother me after looking at it, but others may know better, otherwise it's the hard core that don't like it on principle, which is fair enough, but I quote the relevant part here:-
Here is the response to these claims, as I say it wouldn't worry me, but everyone has their own choice, so just raising awareness here for you to decide whats right for you, it is also worth noting the makers have now stopped producing this software, but have produced a newer updated (renamed) version of this, now that agreement does bother me, so I wouldn't use that one personally, but I'm no expert so will leave it for others to debate on any possible issues from that agreement, but this will hopefully let you choose if you want to use this tool or not.C. OpenCandy End User License Agreement
Jan 26 2010
This installer uses the OpenCandy network to recommend other software you may find valuable during the installation of this software. OpenCandy collects NON-personally identifiable information about this installation and the recommendation process. Collection of this information ONLY occurs during this installation and the recommendation process; in accordance with OpenCandy's Privacy Policy, available at www.opencandy.com/privacy-policy
fortyfour
I downloaded it. Seemed it just asked if I wanted to install a search bar with it…
Anyway, I started Driver Sweeper. Clicked on the Help ? and was sent to this page, http://phyxion.net/Support/support.html, which in turn will send you to this d/l page, http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion.aspx.
Seems Driver Sweeper was replaced by Driver Fusion.
Should I use Driver Fusion instead?
If not, attached is an image of the start up page of Driver Sweeper.
Please tell me what to do, i.e. do I check any of the boxes before clicking Analyse Button, etc, etc….?
Thanx!
Anyway, I started Driver Sweeper. Clicked on the Help ? and was sent to this page, http://phyxion.net/Support/support.html, which in turn will send you to this d/l page, http://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion.aspx.
Seems Driver Sweeper was replaced by Driver Fusion.
Should I use Driver Fusion instead?
If not, attached is an image of the start up page of Driver Sweeper.
Please tell me what to do, i.e. do I check any of the boxes before clicking Analyse Button, etc, etc….?
Thanx!
8210GUY
I would not personally use the newer program, it's from the same maker, but the agreement leaves you more exposed than this older version, and some were not even happy with that version for similar reasons, but I'd still use it over the updated version, at least until I heard others who know better than I do if it was a worry or not, anyway that said the options I would select on the right are the NVIDIA - Display one, and the NVIDIA - PhysX one, as it is a part of the Nvidia display driver if I'm right, then click Analyse, it will list all the files it finds and will then check them ready by default, next click Clean for it to remove those entries, then close and your done, probably wouldn't hurt to run some junk file cleaners and reboot before installing the new driver, hope this makes sense.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI