Software
blue screen error
7 min read
jleroyce
Topic Starter
Hello
i am receiving stop error :0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xF78200bf, 0xf7c34208, 0xf7c33f08)
pci. sys- Address f78200bf base at f7819000, date stamp 3b7d855c
The problem started when I wasn't able to connect to the internet using internet explorer. I assumed that it was something related to windows xp service pack 2. So I uninstalled it and was going to reinstall it. I figured that what ever the problem was it would resolve itself. then the blue screen popped up and I cannot even install windows xp from my install disk.
I am also receiving a message to disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. I should also mention that I tried to reinstall from the original bios disk. No go. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Abydos
Hi jleroyce
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
To re-install you don't need an "BIOS-disk"- I assume by that name, its actually the chipset driver disc you're refering to. To install / repair you need an windows CD, or Recovery disc, whatever of the two you're PC was bought with. (Personnally I have always bought genuine real windows CD's, no fuss about them)
Have you set the right boot-order within your BIOS?
To access your BIOS, tap the "Delete" key right after the first BIOS-screen.
Then first off, before going looking for boot-order, look for a menu that lets you set default settings for your BIOS. Any memory options such as caching and shadowing are normally not set as default. So if enabled, default will turn them off.
Now you can look for the menu Boot-order, sometimes its located as a sub-menu. Change the boot-order so your CD-ROM / DVD is the first one. Hit escape til you reach BIOS-main screen, hit F10 and answer yes to save your settings.
Now you should be able to boot from your CD to Repair / Re-install your windows.
I would try to repair as a first option. Otherwise everything saved, installed software, pictures, documents etc. are lost for good if you make a full re-install. With repair you "only" lose windows updates.
Repairing:
Take a look at this article, it may sound difficult, but its actually pretty straightforward once started. Altho, its windowsXP Pro used as example, its the same procedure for Home edition.
Windows XP Repair
Remember to re-update windows right away.
If a repair won't work for you, and you want a clean install, heres an guide for that:
Windows clean installation guide
If you have any other questions, fire away. Also after this ordeal, if you have questions regarding a problem, feel free to ask. Lots of nice people here ready to give a hand or advice within their knowledge. That way you don't have to *assume* whats wrong
Regards Abydos
Sorry to hear about your troubles.
To re-install you don't need an "BIOS-disk"- I assume by that name, its actually the chipset driver disc you're refering to. To install / repair you need an windows CD, or Recovery disc, whatever of the two you're PC was bought with. (Personnally I have always bought genuine real windows CD's, no fuss about them)
Have you set the right boot-order within your BIOS?
To access your BIOS, tap the "Delete" key right after the first BIOS-screen.
Then first off, before going looking for boot-order, look for a menu that lets you set default settings for your BIOS. Any memory options such as caching and shadowing are normally not set as default. So if enabled, default will turn them off.
Now you can look for the menu Boot-order, sometimes its located as a sub-menu. Change the boot-order so your CD-ROM / DVD is the first one. Hit escape til you reach BIOS-main screen, hit F10 and answer yes to save your settings.
Now you should be able to boot from your CD to Repair / Re-install your windows.
I would try to repair as a first option. Otherwise everything saved, installed software, pictures, documents etc. are lost for good if you make a full re-install. With repair you "only" lose windows updates.
Repairing:
Take a look at this article, it may sound difficult, but its actually pretty straightforward once started. Altho, its windowsXP Pro used as example, its the same procedure for Home edition.
Windows XP Repair
Remember to re-update windows right away.
If a repair won't work for you, and you want a clean install, heres an guide for that:
Windows clean installation guide
If you have any other questions, fire away. Also after this ordeal, if you have questions regarding a problem, feel free to ask. Lots of nice people here ready to give a hand or advice within their knowledge. That way you don't have to *assume* whats wrong
Regards Abydos
DaChew
I might add that if you are repairing or even doing a clean install it would be a good idea to have sp2 downloaded and backed up on cd and apply it immediately afterwards.
I wouldn't even connect a computer to the internet today without it. At least it has windows firewall turned on by default.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
I wouldn't even connect a computer to the internet today without it. At least it has windows firewall turned on by default.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details…;displaylang=en
jleroyce
Thanks guys I am going to try this right now and I'll reply to you.
jleroyce
No Go. I cannot get past the blue screen. I have removed the Bios battery to clean out the cache, Installed the disk whenever it gets to the notice that windows is now starting, it immediately goes to the blue screen.
I am getting a notice to try changing the video adapter. But either way I'm still lost here. Thanks.
Abydos
No Go. I cannot get past the blue screen. I have removed the Bios battery to clean out the cache, Installed the disk whenever it gets to the notice that windows is now starting, it immediately goes to the blue screen.
I am getting a notice to try changing the video adapter. But either way I'm still lost here. Thanks.
As mentioned in my post, you shall:
tap "delete" key after first BIOS-screen. Thats the very first picture you get when you turn on your machine. (Note that some need to hit F1 or F2 to enter the BIOS. Its usually provided as info either at the top or bottom of the screen) If you get to the windows boot-up screen, you're to far and need to restart.
Regards Abydos
jleroyce
Ok Abydos, I have done as instructed. Windows goes through all its installations but right when it says that WINDOWS IS STARTING, the blue screen pops up again and those same errors appear.
Abydos
Ok Abydos, I have done as instructed. Windows goes through all its installations but right when it says that WINDOWS IS STARTING, the blue screen pops up again and those same errors appear.
Is that prior or after the new repair??
Regards Abydos
jleroyce
Prior. I am not able to repair the system.
Abydos
What BIOS make / manufacturer do you have?
You should hear a beep right after the BIOS-splashscreen, thats were you need to hit delete, F1 or F2 usually.
But if you can provide the name of your BIOS manufacturer, I can pinpoint the exact key to hit.
Regards Abydos
jleroyce
Okay this might sound strange but I took a chance at using another Disk I had with my dell computer and it allowed me to get into the repair screen. What do I do now the options are WHICH WINDOWS INSTALLATION WOULD I LIKE TO LOG ON TO.
jleroyce
Never mind. It may be repairing itself
Abydos
That line indicates that you are in the recovery console.
Thats not where you should be.
You have to skip the first option to repair. Selecting * To set up windows xp now press enter* instead
Then you have to agree to the licence agreement
Then you'll be presented by yet another chance of choosing repair, thats the one you need.
I'll link once more to the full step-by-step guide. Read it carefully, at best if you have another PC nearby, have it open for reference all the time.
LINK to Repair-Guide
And remember, there are no stupid question other than those not asked. So if you are in doubt with anything, please ask away. Altho I am on my way to bed (its 02:13 at night here in Denmark
) But i am sure there are others who can guide you further if need be.
Regards Abydos
Thats not where you should be.
You have to skip the first option to repair. Selecting * To set up windows xp now press enter* instead
Then you have to agree to the licence agreement
Then you'll be presented by yet another chance of choosing repair, thats the one you need.
I'll link once more to the full step-by-step guide. Read it carefully, at best if you have another PC nearby, have it open for reference all the time.
LINK to Repair-Guide
And remember, there are no stupid question other than those not asked. So if you are in doubt with anything, please ask away. Altho I am on my way to bed (its 02:13 at night here in Denmark
Regards Abydos
jleroyce
Hey Abydos, I followed your instructions and was able to install. Thanks. I think the problem that I was having was that my Xp professional disk must be scratched or faulty. Now the hard part begins. I have to now update all of my bios and firmware.
saffionline
The Stop 0x77 message indicates that a page of kernel data requested from the paging (virtual memory) file could not be found or read into memory. This Stop message can also indicate disk hardware failure, disk data corruption, or possible virus infection.
Possible Resolutions:
• Stop 0x77 messages can be caused by bad sectors in the virtual memory paging file or a disk controller error. In extremely rare cases, depleted nonpaged pool resources can cause this error. If the first and third parameters are zero, the stack signature in the kernel stack is missing, which is an error typically caused by defective hardware. If the I/O status is 0xC0000185 and the paging file is on a SCSI disk, check for cabling and termination issues. An I/O status code of 0xC000009C or 0xC000016A indicates that the requested data could not be found. You can try to correct this by restarting the computer. If a problem with disk integrity exists, Autochk, a program that attempts to mark bad disk sectors as defective so that they are not used in the future, starts automatically. If Autochk fails to run, you can manually perform the integrity check yourself by following the instructions to run Chkdsk provided in "Stop 0x00000024 or NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM" earlier in this list.
• Another cause of Stop 0x77 messages is defective, malfunctioning, or failed memory hardware, such as memory modules, Level 2 (L2) SRAM cache, or video adapter RAM. If you added new hardware recently, remove and replace it to determine if it is causing or contributing to the problem. Run diagnostics software supplied by the system manufacturer to determine if the component has failed.
• The problem might also be due to cracks, scratched traces, or defective components on the motherboard. If all else fails, take the system motherboard to a repair facility for diagnostic testing.
• Problems that cause Stop 0x77 messages can also cause Stop 0x7A messages. For more information about Stop 0x7A messages, see "Stop 0x0000007A or KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" later in this list.
Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI