This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Hard drive replacement

6 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

Hello I have copied all of the existing entries that apply to my pc and its system set up in the System Setup Utiity. The manual is quite clear about maually changing the hard drive then says to refer to this system set up and its entries when you are done. I have been into F2 and read all the pages then made note of everything there, as I said. After changing the drive, what is involved with this page regarding the installation process? For example, do you set entries to match prexisting ones I copied prior to reinstallation or, do you make canges if the drive is a different make etc.? Thanx for any tips.
Hi Peter, If you are wanting to restore your Windows and all its settings applications etc. Then the easist way is to use a disc image that I know you created in the past.

If you have fitted a brand new gard drive into your machine as the sole internal hard drive then using your Acronis Boot CD boot up your machine with your external hard drive with the appropriate disc image on it, plugged in .
You then select the appropriate disc image and follow the on screen directions to restore it to your new hard drive.

Now comes the difficult bit….. it's time to take the dog for a walk !, or make yourself a nice cup of tea….. as in an hour or so you should be up and running again with your new hard drive. Dont forget the computers new hard drive will now be in the exact state as the old one was when you created the disc image concerned.
If I have misunderstood what you are trying to do, Peter, then just post back and one of us will do our best to help with further suggestions
Regards
paws
Hi Paws I think what I was trying to say was after you replace a harddrive, what is involved with F2 and system setup utilit?. Dell says to copy down all the info so I did - 4 pages which took about 10 minutes. I do not know if you are to make sure the informaton is the same as it was with the old drive or if you should make changes for the new one. They say the pc will not run unless the right information is there. Apparently you can't just swap drives. I an use Acronis ok but this Dell talk about F2 is what I am unsure about. It has clock settings and pasword info etc etc. Screen shot: System Setup Utility Overview Use the system setup utility to: • Change the system configuration information after you add, change, or remove any hardware in your computer • Set or change a user-selectable option such as the user password • Read the current amount of memory or set the type of hard drive installed CAUTION: Unless you are an expert computer user, do not change the settings for this program. Certain changes can make your computer work incorrectly. NOTE: Before you change system setup, it is recommended that you write down the system setup screen information for future reference. Entering System Setup Utility 1 Turn on (or restart) your computer. 2 When the DELL logo is displayed, watch for the F2 prompt to appear and then press immediately. NOTE: The F2 prompt indicates that the keyboard has initialized. This prompt can appear very quickly, so you must watch for it, and then press . If you press before the F2 prompt, this keystroke will be lost. If you wait too long and the operating system logo appears, continue to wait until you see the Microsoft Windows desktop. Then, shut down your computer (see "Turning Off Your Computer" on page 13) and try again. System Setup Screens The system setup screen displays current or changeable configuration information for your computer. Information on the screen is divided into three areas: the setup item, active help screen, and key functions The above indicates you have to do more than swap the drives in the new Dells!- or not! Peter.
Hi Peter, You probably won't have to bother with entering set up (BIOS) via F2 (unless it is to ensure that your optical drive (CD/DVD is set as first in line in the boot priority list If you find you can boot to the Acronis boot disc without entering the BIOS (Set up) then do so. Just use your boot disc and try to image your new drive using Acronis Let us know how you get on Regards paws

Hi Peter,
You probably won't have to bother with entering set up (BIOS) via F2 (unless it is to ensure that your optical drive (CD/DVD is set as first in line in the boot priority list

If you find you can boot to the Acronis boot disc without entering the BIOS (Set up) then do so.

Just use your boot disc and try to image your new drive using Acronis
Let us know how you get on
Regards
paws



>>I will let you know when I do it and it is reasuring to know I won't have to mess with the BIOS.
I have the idea about the boot order and Aronis. That program has saved me so many times.
Off to New England where I came from for a couple of weeks to see brothers etc and I am bringing my usb drive with me. How's That for insecure.
I have it well wrapped. I have a license for the desktop and b/c I have WD usb drives I can use their version of Acronis for free -linmited but it works.
Thanx again
peter
I use a different imaging program, so does Acronis format the new drive? If not, the new drive need to be formated first and it must be the same or a larger size than the old drive or the disk image won't work.

I use a different imaging program, so does Acronis format the new drive?

If not, the new drive need to be formated first and it must be the same or a larger size than the old drive or the disk image won't work.



>>If you read my previous posts you will see I have copied everything from the BIOS
After installing the new drive manually, please walk me through how I format the new drive from a retail store?
Also, do I need to do anything with the BIOS except boot order?
Thank you
Peter
Hi Peter,

After installing the new drive manually, please walk me through how I format the new drive from a retail store? (its not usually needed just install it and let Acronis handle things) Also, do I need to do anything with the BIOS except boot order? Nope!)



Peter try it this way and see how you get on:
1 physically fit the new hard drive into your computer
2 Insert your Acronis boot disk into your computer and connect a USB cable twixt your computer and the external hard drive that contains your Acronis disc image.
3 Start up your computer and hopefully it will boot from the Acronis disc ( if it doesn't then you will have to alter boor priority to first CD/DVD and then hard drive in the BIOS (I know that you know how to do this so I'll move on to the nest step!)
4 Select the image that you want Acronis to put on your new hard drive and let it start the process…
5 Get dog lead handy…… :) or make a nice pot of tea….. :D
6 Your new hard rive should be ready for use in about an hour!
There's no need to create partitions or format your drive…just let Acronis do this all for you!
Post back if you hit any problems….. there shouldn't be any but if there are then we can talk you through the steps needed.
Regards
paws

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI