This is a read-only archive. No new posts or registrations. Privacy Page
Hardware

Hard Drive Upgrade

1 min read

This thread's last reply is from . Advice, software, and links below may be out of date — treat specific steps and download links with caution.

Looking for the outcome? Ask AI

I have recently been given a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop computer and would like to take the hard drive out of my current pc (gateway k7-950) and install it on the newer (Dell) machine. It is not critical that I save the information on the hard drive, in fact, I would like to wipe the whole thing out anyway. I am fairly sure that the hard drives are compatable (not 100% though).

So I am wondering, should I replace my hard drive, or just add the second as a slave?

Do I need to do something in the BIOS? If so…how?

I will also be re-installing windows xp.

I have recently been given a Dell Dimension 2400 desktop computer and would like to take the hard drive out of my current pc (gateway k7-950) and install it on the newer (Dell) machine. It is not critical that I save the information on the hard drive, in fact, I would like to wipe the whole thing out anyway. I am fairly sure that the hard drives are compatable (not 100% though).

So I am wondering, should I replace my hard drive, or just add the second as a slave?

Do I need to do something in the BIOS? If so…how?

I will also be re-installing windows xp.

Compatible yes. Both are IDE ATA. The Dell 2400 has only one internal HDD bay however so as a second drive you would need an external enclosure.

If you want to replace the 2400 drive with the Gateway a few things to consider. You will need to wipe the Gateway first but you will also need the Dell disks to reload the 2400 XP plus the drivers which are on line.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/…tid=&impid=

You can wipe the drive with the free version of KillDisk:

http://www.killdisk.com/


You will of course also need the specific Product Key for the 2400.

Ask AI

AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date

Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI