Okay, I have a Netgear WNDR3700v2 and I just want to change my dynamic IP to a static IP, how would I go about doing this? I've heard you have to pay for it and I've heard that you can download different programs, but I don't really know what to do, I've gone onto the smartwizard website (for configuring your router or portforwarding and such) and just tried simply changing it from dynamic to static but it says that I'm not connected to the internet anymore.
Netgear WNDR3700v2 is a router so all you need to do is go into TCP/IP setting and change from Obtain an IP Address Automatically to Use the following IP Address. The IP address you chose has to be one the router can handle, so if the router is currently giving you a 192.168.1.nnn IP then you have to pick something in the range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254.
You didn't say what OS you have, XP, Vista or Windows 7. Provide that and I (or someone else) can give you explicit instructions on what to do.
Your next steps depend on what it is you are actually trying to do.
Are you wanting to give your computer a static IP address? If so, it is as simple as what Ztruker has just explained.
Or… are you wanting to change the IP address on the WAN side of your router that connects to your ISP to a static address? If so, then terry1966 has sent you in the right direction.
✨ Ask AI
AI can make mistakes. Check the cited posts. Archived advice can be out-of-date
Don't include personal information. Questions and selected public posts go to OpenAI. About Ask AI