Build Theme!
  •  
  • Infected?

WE'RE SURE THAT YOU'LL LOVE US!

Hey there! :wub: Looks like you're enjoying the discussion, but you're not signed up for an account. When you create an account, we remember exactly what you've read, so you always come right back where you left off. You also get notifications, here and via email, whenever new posts are made. You can like posts to share the love. :D Join 93084 other members! Anybody can ask, anybody can answer. Consistently helpful members may be invited to become staff. Here's how it works. Virus cleanup? Start here -> Malware Removal Forum.

Try What the Tech -- It's free!

Photo

Static IP

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ChancEmerica

ChancEmerica

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:10 AM

Okay, I have a Netgear WNDR3700v2 and I just want to change my dynamic IP to a static IP, how would I go about doing this? I've heard you have to pay for it and I've heard that you can download different programs, but I don't really know what to do, I've gone onto the smartwizard website (for configuring your router or portforwarding and such) and just tried simply changing it from dynamic to static but it says that I'm not connected to the internet anymore.

Advertisements

Register to Remove

#2 terry1966

terry1966

SuperMember

• Visiting Tech
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

first question i suppose is do you really need a staic ip? :- http://www.zytrax.co...faqs/static.htm

if you do then :-

1:- easiest way is to ask your isp if they can give you a static ip, might cost you more tho.

2:- or use a dynamic dns service. eg. :- http://www.online-te...ic-dns-service/

edit:- deleted opendns links because not sure they provide the needed service.

:popcorn:

Edited by terry1966, 05 July 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#3 Ztruker

Ztruker

WTT Technical Elder

• Tech Team
  • 8,292 posts
  • Interests:Helping people fix MS Windows related computer problems of all kinds.

Waking each morning to see the green side of the Earth!

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:43 PM

Netgear WNDR3700v2 is a router so all you need to do is go into TCP/IP setting and change from Obtain an IP Address Automatically to Use the following IP Address. The IP address you chose has to be one the router can handle, so if the router is currently giving you a 192.168.1.nnn IP then you have to pick something in the range of 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254.

You didn't say what OS you have, XP, Vista or Windows 7. Provide that and I (or someone else) can give you explicit instructions on what to do.

Rich

Die with memories, not dreams. – Unknown

#4 Tomk

Tomk

Beguilement Monitor

• Global Moderator
  • 20,451 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 11:03 PM

Your next steps depend on what it is you are actually trying to do.

Are you wanting to give your computer a static IP address? If so, it is as simple as what Ztruker has just explained.

Or... are you wanting to change the IP address on the WAN side of your router that connects to your ISP to a static address? If so, then terry1966 has sent you in the right direction.
Tomk
------------------------------------------------------------
Microsoft MVP 2010-2014